PDA

View Full Version : Is St. Pete gone for good?

Insomniac
08-01-04, 05:20 PM
Relevant text:

As expected, the all-oval series will go road racing for the first time at Sonoma, Calif. on August 28 and at Watkins Glen, N.Y. on September 25. There is also a tentative date for a street race at St. Petersburg, Fla. on April 1st.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/12289/

gjc2
08-01-04, 05:37 PM
April 1st, 2005 is a Friday.

guido
08-01-04, 05:48 PM
And if I recall its April fools day.

Cam
08-01-04, 05:49 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :shakehead

Spicoli
08-01-04, 06:32 PM
Relevant text:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/12289/

some crap about it in the IRLStar too.

What a joke.

biF is gonna be pizzled. :gomer:

JT265
08-01-04, 06:46 PM

Regardless, it would be the proper day for that abortion to run, if they try and steal the race.

Spicoli
08-01-04, 07:00 PM
Wait. Friday makes sense.

That way people are already there - you know working and shopping and stuff. Yoda won't even have to buy any tickets! Gee Wally, let's tell Mom about this! :gomer:

Madmaxfan2
08-01-04, 07:26 PM
If true, this sux!

nrc
08-01-04, 09:15 PM
Regardless, it would be the proper day for that abortion to run, if they try and steal the race.

Has Champcar said anything about trying to go back to St. Pete? If not then I really wouldn't call this "stealing a date.

If the IRL are going to run the Glen, Sears, St. Pete, and Portland and they're going to leave room on the schedule for the much coveted Long Beach date they're either going to have to forget some of the other road courses they've been rumored to be interested in or they're going to have to start pissing off ISC by dropping oval dates.

JT265
08-01-04, 09:35 PM
Has Champcar said anything about trying to go back to St. Pete? If not then I really wouldn't call this "stealing a date.

Pubilcally?

No.

;)

Rogue Leader
08-01-04, 10:00 PM
considering how well this season is going so far i seriously doubt Long Beach being stolen from CCWS... as for St Pete I had heard CCWS was still in negotiation for the possibility of a race there, but doubtful :(

RaceChic
08-01-04, 11:08 PM
More of the same junk (http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/166860-1247-188.html)

:shakehead

skaven
08-01-04, 11:19 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't our guys try to put the St. Pete race on the 2004 schedule. I seem to recall that CART/ Champcar wanted the race to happen, the mayor and the city were quoted as wanting to have it happen, but the promotor or someone who had the rights to the race resisted.

If so, it is obvious what happened behind the scenes.

How do we get the word out to the IRL faithful that their series is run by a cabal with no ethics?

fourrunner
08-01-04, 11:25 PM
From what I've seen "The IRL Faithfull" are a "Cabal with no ethics", so it probably wouldn't have much effect! ;)

Lizzerd
08-01-04, 11:42 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't our guys try to put the St. Pete race on the 2004 schedule. I seem to recall that CART/ Champcar wanted the race to happen, the mayor and the city were quoted as wanting to have it happen, but the promotor or someone who had the rights to the race resisted.

If so, it is obvious what happened behind the scenes.

How do we get the word out to the IRL faithful that their series is run by a cabal with no ethics?

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but wasn't St. Pete the race that was cancelled this year? We didn't have a comitted full field and it was just too damn soon after the bankruptcy hearings. I'm getting old and my memory isn't so good any more... :)

nrc
08-02-04, 02:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong too, but wasn't St. Pete the race that was cancelled this year? We didn't have a comitted full field and it was just too damn soon after the bankruptcy hearings. I'm getting old and my memory isn't so good any more... :)

Nope, it was a problem with the former rights holder, Tom Begley. Anyone know what his problem was?

CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES UNABLE TO RETURN TO ST. PETERSBURG IN 2004
(http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7534)

Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“Champ Car”) attempted to acquire the rights to the race from the owner, Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, Inc. (“GPA”), a subsidiary of Dover Motorsports, Inc. However, Champ Car and the city could not proceed with plans for a race without the consent of former rights holder Tom Begley, due to a transaction between Begley and 2003 race promoter GPA. When a successful resolution of the matter between GPA and Begley could not be reached, despite repeated entreaties from the City of St. Petersburg as well as Champ Car officials, the Series was left with no choice but to leave St. Petersburg off the soon-to-be-released 2004 schedule.

mantom
08-02-04, 07:34 AM
Nope, it was a problem with the former rights holder, Tom Begley. Anyone know what his problem was?

Tom wanted to conduct an auction between OWRS and the IRL while awarding the race to the highest bidder. St. Petersburg refused to do that out of loyalty to Chris Pook who started the whole thing with Tom years ago before he took the CEO position with CART, so Tom held out. St. Petersburg didn't know what to do so they connected OWRS directly with Tom to try and work things out. Tom pouted and took his ball back.

There was also rumor that Tom wasn't paid his full due by CART for the 2003 race which was thought to be in the neighborhood of $800,000.

Rogue Leader
08-02-04, 07:57 AM

from what mantom said....

supposedly begley was in FTG's pocket for a while and he knew the IRL would outbid CCWS for the race...

Madmaxfan2
08-02-04, 08:43 AM

If the IRL are going to run the Glen, Sears, St. Pete, and Portland and they're going to leave room on the schedule for the much coveted Long Beach date they're either going to have to forget some of the other road courses they've been rumored to be interested in or they're going to have to start pissing off ISC by dropping oval dates.

Given the attendence at many IRL ISC tracks, I doubt that cancelling an ISC date for a road racing event is not going to upset ISC greatly. I view the ISC dates as event welfare for the IRL anyway. It keeps the split going to weaken open wheel for continued NASCAB growth.

mueber
08-02-04, 08:54 AM
The IRL might want to run at St. Petersburg; I might want to ask Halle Berry for a date; we'll see.

JT265
08-02-04, 09:02 AM
There was also rumor that Tom wasn't paid his full due by CART for the 2003 race which was thought to be in the neighborhood of $800,000.

Begely held the rights to run a race in St. Pete. Dover had to deal with him when it came time to stage an event.

Considering that the original deal was a Dover race, and they paid a sanction fee to CART, have Begley contact Dover for what (if anything) he believes he's owed. CART owed him nothing.

Zero. Zip. Well, you catch my drift.

cart7
08-02-04, 09:18 AM
Too bad, it was a pretty decent street circuit.

skaven
08-02-04, 10:58 AM
Tom wanted to conduct an auction between OWRS and the IRL while awarding the race to the highest bidder. St. Petersburg refused to do that out of loyalty to Chris Pook who started the whole thing with Tom years ago before he took the CEO position with CART, so Tom held out. St. Petersburg didn't know what to do so they connected OWRS directly with Tom to try and work things out. Tom pouted and took his ball back.

Thanks for the info. The whole thing seemed fishy at the time. I thought it was a good track and a good race and hate to see it go. I'll hate it even more if TG gets the circuit. Yet another knife in my back.

Steve99
08-02-04, 11:44 AM
Recently, an unidentified promoter emerged, and Ungar said that group is coordinating discussions with the league and the city.

So now earl is making up promoters? Or the promoter is too embarrassed to come forward? (see Portland)

Madmaxfan2
08-02-04, 01:04 PM
So now earl is making up promoters? Or the promoter is too embarrassed to come forward? (see Portland)
I would be too as a promoter, hate to be gomered. :gomer:

nrc
08-02-04, 01:14 PM
The "unidentified promoter" is certainly fishy. It lends some credence to the theory that the IRL is just trying to throw sand in the works for Champcar.

Andrew Longman
08-02-04, 01:20 PM
The "unidentified promoter" is certainly fishy. It lends some credence to the theory that the IRL is just trying to throw sand in the works for Champcar.

Agreed.

And think about it. St Pete was a promising event, but I wouldn't have called it an outstanding success. The old promoter is gone. The IRL has never put on a street event. The IRL already races in FL without huge success. Even as dumb as TG is, if he only was going to put 2-4 road races on the schedule, wouldn't he pick something a little less risky?

I smell smoke (screen).

That isn't to say OWRS will be there either. It has to be the right thing/deal.

Insomniac
08-02-04, 02:13 PM
Some more funny stuff.

Conspicuously absent from the slate is Portland International Raceway, which hedged its bets between the IRL and Champ Car and appears to have lost out both ways. Champ Car elected not to bid for a 2005 Portland race, as the city demanded, while the IRL's interest in the Oregon road course was apparently never serious.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1850064

PIR screwed themselves good. Hope it was worth it to trust TG...

mueber
08-02-04, 02:16 PM
Some more funny stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1850064

PIR screwed themselves good. Hope it was worth it to trust TG...

Exactly, which is why OWRS needs to make a telephone call to Portland, be nice, and put forth a reasonable proposal.

We ARE the good guys.

mueber
08-02-04, 02:28 PM
I don’t see anything on TrackForum that indicates the Gomers are lubing up their pick ups so they can go to St. Petersburg for an IRL street race, and if they aren't interested, who do they think will be?

nrc
08-02-04, 03:39 PM
Exactly, which is why OWRS needs to make a telephone call to Portland, be nice, and put forth a reasonable proposal.

We ARE the good guys.

But they need to stick by the princible they sited when dropping negotiations in the first place. No discussions as long as they're being played. The powers that be need to make an official announcement that Champcar is the only option being considered before OWRs can return to the table in good faith.

Insomniac
08-02-04, 09:09 PM

We ARE the good guys.

Do you go back to someone who did that to you though? OWRS was passed up because they wanted more money. Now that they didn't get it, do you go back to them? I think it depends on how badly they want PIR. Me personally, I don't know enough about how it al went down. Did OWRS make a fair proposal when they tried to get a 3 year extension? If so, then I would walk away. If they didn't make a proposal, then I'd think it might be time to make one.

RTKar
08-02-04, 09:18 PM
Do you go back to someone who did that to you though? OWRS was passed up because they wanted more money. Now that they didn't get it, do you go back to them? I think it depends on how badly they want PIR. Me personally, I don't know enough about how it al went down. Did OWRS make a fair proposal when they tried to get a 3 year extension? If so, then I would walk away. If they didn't make a proposal, then I'd think it might be time to make one.

After being lied to and used....let Portland go without a race for a year...

SurfaceUnits
08-03-04, 02:11 AM
From Champweb Forum

******* Spicoli
P8-Alex Tagliani

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:09 am
Post subject: St. Pete is back on ChampCar Schedule! Reply with quote

www.stpeteonline.com/events/CARTnews58 :rofl:

CART T. Katz
08-03-04, 01:31 PM
link b0rk3d

Spicoli
08-03-04, 02:28 PM
Of course the link is busted! Playing those dorks who post on DonWeb (That zer0 dood is the worst) whilst jacked up on pounders :)

Anyway, you know what's going on. TG and MOST importantly Yoda/Homoco are trying desperately to kill off CCWS in the USA. Stealing teams, drivers, races, etc etc etc....and nothing is working. They could care less about Portland or St. Pete's. What they care about is killing us. That M3 dood who posts here always asks why we give AF about what EARL does? Well, here's another example of the crap these dicks try to pull.

Tg's vision is all about the IMS & control of the sport. He could have 100 of the uber-TF Gomerati watching Sparta from pit row with no TV deal, as long as CCWS is dead, and he's gonna feel a complete man.

Its such a sad way to go through life. No friends, only people using you. A waste of a man who can't communicate with anyone and his last resort for personal satisfaction is to kill CCWS and probably the sport all in one effort. Just step back and look at the path of destruction TG has been on. Scortched earth, pissed off all the CART fans, alienated and confused the casual fan, and finally turned his back on the Gomers. Everytime you browse TF after an announcement of more foreign drivers, more RR and Street courses being looked at, some gomer looses it and bails. Why not? They have been betrayed beyond belief.

I doubt there is a man more villified in all of sport than TG. He is full of evil.

sundaydriver2
08-03-04, 02:48 PM
You nailed it Spicoli.

Too bad someone doesn't nail FTG.

Madmaxfan2
08-03-04, 03:49 PM
What do you expect from a dysfunctional man like TG? His insecurities prevent him from being a good leader. Then again as I have pointed out, the guy has a dysfunctional but rich family, with a mama and sisters that don't give a rat's butt about racing. You don't breed success from the cesspool the George family has become. His delusions are his way of geting through life, so don't expect TG to come to the light anytime soon. Unless someone with considerably more wealth buys the George's out, the Indy 500 will die a slow death with that IV poison known as the IRL.