PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast Motorsports Announces Gurney as Driver Coach

Allan Craighead
02-13-03, 02:32 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PACIFIC COAST MOTORSPORTS ANNOUNCES GURNEY AS DRIVER COACH

CARPINTERIA, CALIF. (February 12, 2003) – Pacific Coast Motorsports today announced that Alex Gurney will act as driver coach for the 2003 season.

Gurney, the youngest son of American racing legend Dan Gurney, began racing in 1996. Following a year of racing in amateur events, Gurney began his professional career winning 10 of 14 races in Skip Barber Formula Dodge. In 1998, Gurney was selected as the Team Green Academy winner and completed in the Barber Dodge Pro Series, where he earned a pole position in his rookie season. Following a year racing with Team Green in the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship, Gurney became a front-runner in the Atlantic Championship when he joined his father's All-American Racers team. In 2001, he traveled abroad to compete in the prestigious British Formula 3 Championship with the Fortec
Renault team, finishing in the top-10 eight times. Last year, Gurney
returned to the Atlantic Championship with Dorricott Racing, claiming third in the championship. Most recently Gurney tested the new Ford Cosworth engine package used in the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford.

Gurney will work throughout the season with Pacific Coast Motorsports driver Alex Figge. Attending both tests and race events, Gurney will provide Figge with insight and guidance gained from his extensive racing career and Atlantic experiences.

"Its unfortunate that due to a lack of funds I could not make it to the Champ Car grid this year," said Gurney. "Nonetheless, I am very excited about my new position at Pacific Coast Motorsports. I believe they’ve put together an excellent group of people and are making all the right moves to be championship contenders. Alex [Figge] has been very quick in testing so far and I think he will surprise a lot of people this year."

Pacific Coast Motorsports is a newly formed team focused on winning. Based in Carpinteria, Calif., the team features a vast amount of Atlantic Championship experience.

"Pacific Coast Motorsports is proud to announce Alex [Gurney] as driver coach," said Tyler Tadevic, Pacific Coast Motorsports 0wner and Manager. "He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge, and will be a great benefit to the development of Alex [Figge] as a driver."

The CART Toyota Atlantic Championship is the top rung in CART's "ladder system". The Atlantic Championship features 250 horsepower open-wheel race cars capable of 175 mph, racing on a variety courses. The ideal training ground for the future stars of motorsport, Atlantic Championship alumni includes Michael Andretti, Patrick Carpentier, Bobby Rahal, Danny Sullivan, Alex Tagliani, Jimmy Vasser and Jacques Villeneuve. The Atlantic Championship receives worldwide media coverage and has a prize fund in excess of one million dollars.

Pacific Coast Motorsports will attend the series test at Firebird
International Raceway, March 4-5, ahead of the season-opener, March 23, at the Tecate TelMex Grand Prix, in Monterey, Mexico.

For additional information on Pacific Coast Motorsports or Alex Figge,
please contact Allan Craighead (303) 883-8521 or Tyler Tadevic
(805)566-2979.

- 30 -

WickerBill
02-15-03, 02:19 PM
Thanks Allan! Appreciate you posting this here.

WB

pchall
02-16-03, 11:12 AM
I wish he was racing rather than coaching.

Dan should be building him an Eagle.

JT265
02-16-03, 12:28 PM
Agreed, PC.

tomahawk
02-17-03, 12:21 PM
I thought Dan (and Phil Hill) were starting an F1 team for Alex and Derek.

:tomahawk