PDA

View Full Version : Portland up a creek?

nrc
08-01-04, 12:27 AM
In this Portland Story (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1091275621263070.xml) they mention that Portland is hoping that Lord Sagamore will grant them a date in late July or early August. What's up with that? I thought the Champcar race was always associated with the Rose Festival in June.

The good news is that Tony has probably had to pick up dates at the Glenn and Sears just to appease ISC and SMI. If that's the case they're likely going to have a limited tolerance for the IRL giving up their ovals for road races or running road races in their markets. You figure there may be room for four road races on the IRL schedule before they have to start dropping ISC events. If the Glenn and Sears are two of those and one is reserved for the much-coveted Long Beach date, then that leaves all the road courses that would like to play the IRL against Champcar playing musical chairs for just one spot.

SurfaceUnits
08-01-04, 12:43 AM
Conspicuously absent from the slate is Portland International Raceway, which hedged its bets between the IRL and Champ Car and appears to have lost out both ways. Champ Car elected not to bid for a 2005 Portland race, as the city demanded, while the IRL's interest in the Oregon road course was apparently never serious.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1850064

RaceChic
08-01-04, 01:04 AM
The worst-case scenario for Portland would be an IRL schedule that doesn't include Portland International Raceway in late July or early August 2005. That could send Francesconi back to the Champ Car World Series, hat in hand, asking for Champ Car to reconsider its withdrawal of a three-year contract extension.

Paul Gentilozzi, one of Champ Car's three owners, warned Francesconi weeks ago that he could "negotiate" his way into losing both series. It was Gentilozzi's contention that the IRL simply wanted to run Champ Car out of the Portland market.

Oh the irony. :saywhat:

Lizzerd
08-01-04, 04:05 AM
Francesconi seems to be the equivalent of the Village Idiot in this whole thing...

Spicoli
08-01-04, 09:20 AM
Francesconi seems to be the equivalent of the Village Idiot in this whole thing...

Perhaps he shares some DNA with ___king Tony. :gomer:

And yes, - the irony is sweet. glad we now have owners who take a position and STICK WITH IT.

Too bad, so sad, PIR.

Brickman
08-01-04, 11:47 AM
PIR was late getting re-signed by Champ Car in 2004, economicially I don't think they wanted to be there. It just wasn't profitable like the good ol days. IF the IRL doesn't go there Champ Car would seemingly pick it back up for pennies on the dollar. That should give the best indication of it's worth.

Steve99
08-01-04, 04:12 PM
Perhaps he shares some DNA with ___king Tony. :gomer:

He may have to share some DNA with FTG if he wants an earl race.

nrc
08-01-04, 04:31 PM
PIR was late getting re-signed by Champ Car in 2004, economicially I don't think they wanted to be there. It just wasn't profitable like the good ol days. IF the IRL doesn't go there Champ Car would seemingly pick it back up for pennies on the dollar. That should give the best indication of it's worth.

I think the fact that ChampCar was willing to do a track rental for three years gives an indication of what they thought it was worth. It was a good event in a good market. The owner simply aren't willing to set themselves up for a fall with someone who wants to play them against their competition.

oddlycalm
08-01-04, 06:23 PM
I think the fact that ChampCar was willing to do a track rental for three years gives an indication of what they thought it was worth. It was a good event in a good market. The owner simply aren't willing to set themselves up for a fall with someone who wants to play them against their competition.Absoluely. They knew a lot more about the real capabilities and intentions of the IRL than Francesconi does, and they called what was an incredibly stupid bluff. Losing an event that brought $20 million into the community won't help his run for mayor I'm guessing.

"That could send Francesconi back to the Champ Car World Series, hat in hand, asking for Champ Car to reconsider its withdrawal of a three-year contract extension."

Word here is that he's already been trying, somewhat desperately, and nobody will return his calls... :laugh: :thumbup: I look for Gentilozzi to make them crawl a little at the very least. On the other hand, there is a real possibility that CCWS has simply crossed Portland of their list and moved on.

While I certainly want to keep this race remain here, the city needs to have their feet held to the fire to the point where they see reality clearly. They were getting played heavily by the IRL shills for the last 3yrs and and got delusions of grandeur. In doing this, TG effectively killed the reputations of his local shills to the point where they will never be listened to again, which looks like a bit of scorched earth on his side as well. It should be clear to anyone paying attention at this point that the EARL's only goal all along was to kill a CCWS event.

oc

Brickman
08-01-04, 08:01 PM
I think the fact that ChampCar was willing to do a track rental for three years gives an indication of what they thought it was worth. It was a good event in a good market. The owner simply aren't willing to set themselves up for a fall with someone who wants to play them against their competition.

I think the track owner was willing to gamble that he could raise more money then what a track rental would bring. They probably look back at the good ol days when open wheel really brought in the money. I applaud Champ Car for not getting in a bidding war, it would be dumb to pay more than the budget can handle.

Ziggy
08-01-04, 09:01 PM
The news I hear is they WONT be back

cant sell any tickets

Ziggy