PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen and Infineon Raceway Set for IRL Races

RaceChic
07-30-04, 02:54 PM
SPEED.com (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/12256/)

:confused:

Andrew Longman
07-30-04, 03:45 PM
"Other circuits mentioned in connection with an IRL date include Infineon Raceway (Sears Point)and Portland, which has not renewed its contract with the Champ Car World Series"

Didn't renew because when they played CCWS like fools, CCWS chose not to ask. Kripes, tell the whole truth :mad:

nissan gtp
07-30-04, 03:56 PM
word is Sears Point and WGI only

wonder if the'll try the whole track, or just the sanitized "cup" track ?

gomer road racing :gomer:

devilmaster
07-30-04, 04:00 PM
wonder if the'll try the whole track, or just the sanitized "cup" track ?

85 percent says cup track
15 percent says the boot

The reasoning behind that is mostly IRL wants to brand itself to NASCAR fans... and if they're going to do that, its the cup track. Hell, most NASCAR fans probably don't know about the boot anyways.

Steve

Steve99
07-30-04, 04:21 PM
Have the sports cars been using the boot in recent years?

Ozarkian
07-30-04, 04:44 PM
"Other circuits mentioned in connection with an IRL date include Infineon Raceway (Sears Point)and Portland, which has not renewed its contract with the Champ Car World Series"

Didn't renew because they played CCWS like fools CCWS chose not to ask. Kripes, tell the whole truth :mad:

Even part of the truth. Seemed to me that CCWS chose not to renew its contract with Portland. That's some good spinnin' by NASCARVision to get it the other way 'round.

devilmaster
07-30-04, 05:39 PM
Have the sports cars been using the boot in recent years?

I flipped through grand am or alms at the glen this year. They did use the boot.

Steve

nissan gtp
07-30-04, 06:08 PM
I flipped through grand am or alms at the glen this year. They did use the boot.

Steve

the Sham ran the the boot (GP course) this year...

WGI is a great track that needs biggie safety upgrade (blue armco all around... very scary for open wheel cars...)

Brickman
07-30-04, 06:51 PM
Like I said before... They added new fencing a few years ago and the front straight temporary seats that have been up since 1989 are being replaced (http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/TheGlen/index.cfm) with new stands. Replace the armco with blue concrete New Jersey (http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Jersey_Barrier.html) or other barriers. But in all reality I think a driver's opinion like Tommy Kendall would mean more than opinion of fans of the track or non fans of the IRL. I personally think turn 8 would be the trickiest to create a better runoff area. However IF the cars are dogs why even bother.

Spicoli
07-30-04, 07:08 PM
I hope they all ****ing crash.

RaceChic
07-30-04, 07:30 PM
However IF the cars are dogs why even bother.

I never thought I'd say this, but.... I agree. :saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
07-30-04, 07:59 PM
I hope they all ****ing crash. Can't argue with that :thumbup:

Lizzerd
07-30-04, 10:42 PM

Steve

Yeah, but those are proper road racing cars. I can't imagine that many turns per lap for a poopy car. :D

BNica
07-30-04, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but those are proper road racing cars. I can't imagine that many turns per lap for a poopy car. :D

As much of a proper race car as a Grand Sham Crapotype can be
:rolleyes:

Imagine that double bill: ugly and uglier

And the name for this double bill: Gomers At The Glen
:gomer:

Lizzerd
07-31-04, 01:01 AM
As much of a proper race car as a Grand Sham Crapotype can be
:rolleyes:

Well, yeah... True that. I thunk about that after I clicked Send. At least they are road racing "cars", though...

gjc2
07-31-04, 08:49 AM
Crapwagons and all that blue Armco is a dangerous combination.

George

Madmaxfan2
07-31-04, 09:17 AM
Crapwagons and all that blue Armco is a dangerous combination.

George

I don't thnk that is on the radar screen of TG and the locals in the Corning area who are pushing this venture. It would give me second thoughts, if I was a driver. ISC,who owns the track is basically the NASCAR arm of track ownership, so you want that group of people think about safety. The top tier of EARL drivers better reconsider thier options, like maybe get a ride in Champ Car and save your skin.

Jag_Warrior
07-31-04, 09:35 AM
85 percent says cup track
15 percent says the boot

The reasoning behind that is mostly IRL wants to brand itself to NASCAR fans... and if they're going to do that, its the cup track. Hell, most NASCAR fans probably don't know about the boot anyways.

Steve

Problem is most NASCAR fans don't seem to care much for road racing. ALMS ran at NASCAR rovals... not many NASCAR fans (or anybody else) showed up. But I'm sure the IRL will move forward in search of the success that NASCAR is leaving on the table. If they get 50 fans next year and 51 the year after... that's growth! If the number stays at 50, they'll just say there were really 49 the year before. Again, growth!!! :thumbup:

Will the pain never end???

The Doctor
07-31-04, 12:30 PM
the Sham ran the the boot (GP course) this year...

Grand Sham uses the boot for their six hour craptacular "race" and uses the NASCAR course for their mooch-o-rama weekend with the Cup race.

RaceChic
07-31-04, 08:13 PM
Watkins Glen and Infineon Raceway Set for IRL Races (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/12282/)

:shakehead

Ziggy
07-31-04, 10:13 PM
BNica hit it, best logo I have read in a while

"GOMERS AT THE GLENN"

Cant wait for the Brickman thread "I got a couple of extra tickets" next year

always
Ziggy

DaveL
08-01-04, 12:00 AM
I hope they all ****ing crash.

If Sharp still has a car to drive next year, that's one you can count on. The guy can't keep it off the walls on tracks at which all you do is floor it and steer. Do the math when he's on a real race track and I don't care what his Trans-Am record was. Daddy bought him the best car money could buy at the time.

Seeing IV and Carpenter trying to road race is going to make some of the wankers Coyne put in his cars over the years look like Michael Freakin' Schumacher.

Brickman
08-01-04, 11:40 AM
BNica hit it, best logo I have read in a while

"GOMERS AT THE GLENN"

Cant wait for the Brickman thread "I got a couple of extra tickets" next year

always
Ziggy

I very much doubt I would go 3,000 miles to see Indy cars racing at The Glen. I might go to Sears Point IF I can get in a fishing trip in the Sierras, but ONLY if the cars have some performance in testing that would indicate they can race. What would sink them would be if is so b-a-d that a driver misses a breaking point, loses momentum and loses a whole lap.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-01-04, 02:34 PM
All I can say is that if they do indeed race at the Glen and they do crash, I do hope the drivers don't end up like Francois Cevert or Helmuth Koinigg.

But in those crap wagons and those Armco barriers, that's what I fear will happen. :shakehead