PDA

View Full Version : Last year it was the Blue Angels...

Lizzerd
07-31-04, 06:17 PM
...this year, the Thunderbirds were flying over my house!

Okay, in case you don't remember or weren't here or whatever a year ago, I live just a few miles, five or six, from the Mount Comfort Airport where there's an airshow this weekend. Last year, on Friday, the Blue Angels were practicing, or checking out the terrain, or whatever, and stayed under a couple thousand feet or so. Didn't hear anything this year on Friday. It rained though, so that could by why.

Anyway, I grab my dog's leash and we go for a ride. Parked on a country road for a while about as close as I could get since the roads were blocked off (the airport is definately in a "rural" area). Caught about half the show, I guess, from about a miile and a half away. I'll be plunking the $15 for a real seat tomorrow (sans dog).

Man, I could watch those guys all day.

Cam
08-01-04, 02:01 AM
Have fun...... I am going dirt tracking again... :D

Opposite Lock
08-01-04, 10:39 AM
The Chicago Air & Water Show also alternates between the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds each year. This year should be another Blue Angels year here, plus lots of other great stuff. Nothing like the sound of an F-15 doing a 2+ mile straight vertical. A local radio station provides enough coverage and commentary each day that you can get a decent understanding of what is going on. 2 days of incredible sights and sounds - highly recommended. August 21-21. Oh, and it's free.

RTKar
08-01-04, 11:02 AM
Used to see those guys while sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley during Cubs games. From out of nowhere they'd come zooming down, kicking ***. A couple times they really came in low over the ballpark. I'd swear the light standards would sway as they passed by. :thumbup:

G.
08-02-04, 12:39 PM
Be sure to set your car alarm to "extra-sensitive" for the air show. :laugh:

chop456
08-02-04, 01:44 PM
My first apartment in the South Loop had a sundeck w/hot tub on the roof. We'd take a cooler up there and bake/boil/beer ourselves while the planes roared right over us as they did their turnarounds. Awesome stuff.

Used to see those guys while sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley during Cubs games. From out of nowhere they'd come zooming down, kicking ***. A couple times they really came in low over the ballpark. I'd swear the light standards would sway as they passed by. :thumbup:

cheesewhiz
08-02-04, 02:01 PM
I lived across the street from Wittman Field in Oshkosh for eight years.
As a matter of fact right at the north end of the 180 runway.
For one week out of the year it becomes THE busiest airport in the world.
I've had EVERY type of airplane fly overhead.
If you thought a F1 car was loud you should hear the Concord take off. :cool:

Opposite Lock
08-19-04, 12:57 PM
Finally the Angels are here! 6 blue and gold F/A-18 Hornets doing their first practice session of this year's airshow weekend over Chicago just now. Nothing as spine-tingling as that sound for the first time in a year except maybe for the sound of F1 or Champcars as you first approach the track.

Screw work - gotta go back outside.