PDA

View Full Version : Edsel says he's happy

Railbird
07-28-04, 10:24 PM
On Windbag tonight Edsel Ford says they're happy with Champcar and that's where they need to be.

Chitowncartfreak
07-28-04, 10:26 PM
looks like we're watching the same thing, Railbird -I just posted the same thing! Good news travels quickly.

Railbird
07-28-04, 10:34 PM
I was suprised with how positve he was, I expected him to hedge his statements with a few maybes but he came off pretty bullish on Champcar with no interest in Indy.

The Jaguar thing seems as shakey as we have read and he spoke of some interst in ALMS depending on how things develop.

Thinking a little more about it, that was the strongest endorsement for Champcar I have heard outside of the Three Amigos since this adventure was launched.

Chitowncartfreak
07-28-04, 10:39 PM
Edsel's always struck me as a straight-forward kind of guy.

The Jag thing is an interesting story. I was reading an article in Fortune several months ago with Bill Ford. Apparently, company management decided to discontinue the Jag F1 program, but Bill Ford overruled them. He thought that getting out of F1 would be detrimental to Jaguar's brand image.

devilmaster
07-28-04, 10:47 PM
He thought that getting out of F1 would be detrimental to Jaguar's brand image.

Hmmm. I always thought that being with Ford was detrimental to Jaguar's brand image.....

Steve

Railbird
07-28-04, 10:50 PM
Fords involvement sure improved Jaguar owners chances on getting home with the lights on.

Steve99
07-28-04, 10:52 PM
I was suprised with how positve he was, I expected him to hedge his statements with a few maybes but he came off pretty bullish on Champcar with no interest in Indy.

As usual, Dave asked a leading question, expecting Ford to hedge about their Champ Car commitment. :thumbup: to Edsel for his support.

Despain sure was pushing him to say he wanted to go race in the IRL. :shakehead

Cam
07-28-04, 10:55 PM
Fords involvement sure improved Jaguar owners chances on getting home with the lights on.

Ahhhhhh Lucas..... How could we forget thee? :gomer:

Jag_Warrior
07-28-04, 10:56 PM

Eh, where's the challenge in that? Lucas forever! :gomer:

Great news. I clicked in here but was too late to catch anything he said about Champ Car.

P.S. What was said about ALMS/Le Mans? Was it concerning Jaguar or Ford itself?

Jag_Warrior
07-28-04, 10:58 PM

1 minute between clicks...

Either quick-witted minds think alike... or here's two twits who've driven (slow) with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a flashlight out the window. :D

Steve99
07-28-04, 11:16 PM
A caller asked about ALMS. Edsel had a confused look on his face that a caller would want to ask him an ALMS question. The caller wanted to know if there were any plans to take the Ford GT to ALMS to challenge the Corvettes. Edsel says there are no immediate plans but it is something they may look into. Sounded pretty non-commital to me. Then Dave mentioned that the new Mustang would be good to take racing.

Rogue Leader
07-28-04, 11:16 PM
1 minute between clicks...

Either quick-witted minds think alike... or here's two twits who've driven (slow) with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a flashlight out the window. :D

Ever try removing the heads from a Jag V12???? Me and my best friend did! You will invent new 4 letter words!!!

JT265
07-28-04, 11:20 PM
Ever try removing the heads from a Jag V12???? Me and my best friend did! You will invent new 4 letter words!!!

Replacing the inboard brake rotors on an E Type will give the same result.

pchall
07-28-04, 11:27 PM

What incentive did Lucas ever have to build good refridgeration since you poms drink your beer warm? :p

fourrunner
07-28-04, 11:30 PM
JT ... I wasn't as wealthy as you! ;)

but

As the Former owner of 3 British Leyland products 1964 Triumph TR4A ,
1972 Triumph TR6, and a 1976 Triumph Spitfire (the last 2 bought New )

I know the pain of not completing a round trip to most anywhere... but I was a glutton for punishment. Vapor Lock was a prime culprit, and I used to carry a couple of spare clutch pins for the Spitfire for the rather frequent droppings !

No they weren't Jaquars ... But God I loved those cars !

Oh ... I'm glad, very glad Edsel's Happy !!! :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
07-28-04, 11:38 PM
lest we forget Lotus was just as bad until GM showed up....

Lucas... ugh!

RARules
07-29-04, 12:03 AM
What incentive did Lucas ever have to build good refridgeration since you poms drink your beer warm? :p

the other version:

Why do Brits drink warm beer? Because their refirgerators are made by Lucas.

Ah, the "Prince of Darkness".

Jag_Warrior
07-29-04, 12:26 AM

Not yet - like I need to learn any more 4 letter words. If (more like "when") I blow this engine, I'm just gonna get some of those lil dolly wheels and roll it around the garage... and make some loud vroom vroom noises. It must be a doozy to work on. I looked into having Gran Turismo rebuild the engine a couple of years back (a free tube of KY was included in the price). This year I bought a WRX... and spent 2 grand less! :saywhat:

I'm glad Ford seems relatively happy. I just wish they'd pluck one or two drivers out of the pack and feature them in some nationwide promos or ads. I'm not a HUGE Ford fan, but it seems like they support the type of racing I like most. :thumbup:

nz_climber
07-29-04, 01:13 AM
Replacing the inboard brake rotors on an E Type will give the same result.

I know that all too well, my uncle has rebuilt about 3 E Types now - and I have been lucky/unlucky enough to help with a few things...... (that diff and brakes is a heavy sumabit*h)
:eek:

cart7
07-29-04, 05:58 AM
As usual, Dave asked a leading question, expecting Ford to hedge about their Champ Car commitment. :thumbup: to Edsel for his support.

Despain sure was pushing him to say he wanted to go race in the IRL. :shakehead
Yep. He really pushed the whole, "wouldn't you like to go back to Indy and take it to T & H thing". Edsel shut the door on him and strongly endorsed Fords commitment to Champ Car. :thumbup:

pchall
07-29-04, 07:28 AM
I know that all too well, my uncle has rebuilt about 3 E Types now - and I have been lucky/unlucky enough to help with a few things...... (that diff and brakes is a heavy sumabit*h)
:eek:

The Salisbury rear is where the English recycled all their old iron.

Rogue Leader
07-29-04, 07:46 AM
Not yet - like I need to learn any more 4 letter words. If (more like "when") I blow this engine, I'm just gonna get some of those lil dolly wheels and roll it around the garage... and make some loud vroom vroom noises. It must be a doozy to work on. I looked into having Gran Turismo rebuild the engine a couple of years back (a free tube of KY was included in the price). This year I bought a WRX... and spent 2 grand less! :saywhat:

I'm glad Ford seems relatively happy. I just wish they'd pluck one or two drivers out of the pack and feature them in some nationwide promos or ads. I'm not a HUGE Ford fan, but it seems like they support the type of racing I like most. :thumbup:

The jag shop we did it in is his dad's friends. The average Jag that needs say a head gasket or engine rebuild, they just pull the motor and drop in a remanufactured motor from Jag. Its faster and cheaper!!!! They actually toss these motors in the trash!

Cmndr Keen
07-29-04, 09:51 AM

And under their own power....

Cmndr Keen
07-29-04, 09:55 AM
Yep. He really pushed the whole, "wouldn't you like to go back to Indy and take it to T & H thing". Edsel shut the door on him and strongly endorsed Fords commitment to Champ Car. :thumbup:

Sounds like our three owners are working hard at building relationships as well as the on-track product. The guy really gave an unqualified thumbs up to Champ Car.

Jag_Warrior
07-29-04, 08:13 PM
The jag shop we did it in is his dad's friends. The average Jag that needs say a head gasket or engine rebuild, they just pull the motor and drop in a remanufactured motor from Jag. Its faster and cheaper!!!! They actually toss these motors in the trash!

What?! :eek: So... this big @$$ dumpster would be roughly located WHERE? j/k

I've got a 5.3L. Do you have a ballpark of what a 6.0L is going for through his shop?

Sorry folks, I know: Off-topic! Get a room! yadda, yadda... :laugh:

Rogue Leader
07-29-04, 11:23 PM
What?! :eek: So... this big @$$ dumpster would be roughly located WHERE? j/k

I've got a 5.3L. Do you have a ballpark of what a 6.0L is going for through his shop?

Sorry folks, I know: Off-topic! Get a room! yadda, yadda... :laugh:

I honestly have no idea but the name of the place is Jagpro and its in Bellmore Long Island, NY.