PDA

View Full Version : Good Rant On The Poor TV Coverage

RaceChic
07-27-04, 01:04 PM
How Bad? It Can't get Any Worse. (http://www.champweb.net/headline.php?t=c&id=26050)

:thumbup:

CART T. Katz
07-27-04, 01:32 PM
i wonder that with all the bitching and moaning going on that these people realize that canadian tv (global sports) provided the pictures so therefore spike (or possibly betelgeuse (sp)) had nothing to do with the coverage.

a fair comparison would be if the coverage was bad with a live domestic race. iirc all of the live races haven't been domestic events (with the exception of long beach which was the first broadcast).

Road America
07-27-04, 01:58 PM
I won't watch the Spike broadcasts for those exact reasons. Fortunately my salvation is spelled with two simple words RACE DIRECTOR .
Sitting in front of the Dell flat panel monitor is way more entertaining that the Spike "broadcast". Basically, the final straw was the Bridgestone commericials, "the wheel goes 'round" jingle is torture, pure torture. :shakehead

oddlycalm
07-27-04, 02:10 PM
After some of the broadcasts we have seen in past seasons, I'm not sure what all the bitching is about regarding this race. It clearly seems to have really offended some people, but I'm not one of them. As pointed out by Cart T. Katz, the feed from Global Sports is what it was. We saw the exact same thing happen with the Speed coverage of the French GP. You would think the French broadcaster would be able to cover an F1 race, but you would be wrong. It was dreadful, and it was impossible for the Speed team to cover over the ommissions.

Considering that this season almost wasn't, requiring that the broadcast deal be put together on the fly, and considering that we might have been stuck with Bob Jenkins all season, I'm having a hard time being patient with the heavy criticism. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, I just wish they would keep it in perspective.

Personally, I watched F1, the Tour de France, MotoGP and Champ Car on Sunday, and I didn't come away feeling the Champ Car broadcast was awful. In fact, aside from some of the missed passes, which the Champ Car broadcast team had no control over, I thought it was the best effort this season.

oc

KLang
07-27-04, 02:11 PM
<sigh>

I'm just glad we have a series to watch and several options to watch it.

Opposite Lock
07-27-04, 02:17 PM
...the Bridgestone commericials, "the wheel goes 'round" jingle is torture, pure torture. :shakehead

I hate to criticize a series sponsor, but MAN, that jingle has to go! Now! It's even more annoying than the "zoom zoom" (Mazda?) jingle, and that's hard to do.

oh, and I think Don needs a date. :)

Steve99
07-27-04, 03:18 PM
It can get worse. Just tune into the Mouse for some twIRLing.

racer2c
07-27-04, 03:53 PM
Another wanna be screaming "look at me!" No thanks.

:thumdown:

Wally
07-27-04, 04:01 PM
" Spike "broadcast". Basically, the final straw was the Bridgestone commericials, "the wheel goes 'round" jingle is torture, pure torture. "

Naa, the Honda crapwagon commercial tops that....... :shakehead

JoeBob
07-27-04, 04:04 PM
Let me get this right: Sklenka says he's seen only one broadcast this year, and then goes on to judge the entire season's TV package based on that.

And then everybody goes and takes him seriously?

Give me a break.

Railbird
07-27-04, 04:36 PM
I'll tell you what is worse than a Spike broadcast.

Being linked to anything Sklenka writes.

Spicoli
07-27-04, 05:52 PM
http://www.slightlywarped.com/forumpictures/threadsucks/makeitstop.jpg

G.
07-27-04, 06:07 PM
Basically, the final straw was the Bridgestone commericials, "the wheel goes 'round" jingle is torture, pure torture. :shakeheadI dunno. For some strange reason, I associate that jingle with opening a cold beer...
:gomer:

Wally
07-27-04, 07:02 PM
Indulge me here, we don't like Slenka, we slag on MC and we are pissed at RM half of the time..........
I've forgotten who do we like? ;)

Spicoli
07-27-04, 07:05 PM
Indulge me here, we don't like Slenka, we slag on MC and we are pissed at RM half of the time..........
I've forgotten who do we like? ;)

the dood with the beer. :)

devilmaster
07-27-04, 08:13 PM
the dood with the beer. :)

And Welcome to the Church of Warlock!

:D
Steve

anait
07-27-04, 08:29 PM
the dood with the beer.

And Welcome to the Church of Warlock!

'Lock would also like the dood with the, um... movies. :p

TKGAngel
07-27-04, 08:39 PM
" Spike "broadcast". Basically, the final straw was the Bridgestone commericials, "the wheel goes 'round" jingle is torture, pure torture. "

Naa, the Honda crapwagon commercial tops that....... :shakehead

Meh, neither of them is bad compared to the commercial for Mobil 1 a few years ago that was set to dueling banjos. It seemed like every commercial break had that darn commercial, and by the 3rd time the commercial was on, you were ready to run screaming from the room.

That said, I really didn't think that the race coverage was that bad. Sure there were mistakes, but that's the risk you take when using a host country's feed. I'll take it any day over Paul Page and Scott "this is what we call a pitstop" Goodyear.

mueber
07-27-04, 09:13 PM
I'm just happy there are broadcasts to complain about.

Jag_Warrior
07-27-04, 09:23 PM
I'm just happy there are broadcasts to complain about.

I'm with you. Something's better than nothing... and we were d@mn close to that. If they don't turn it next season, OK... complain away.

And as for the commercials, til they start with that Sprint My Business Is Beautiful flowerchild wannabe *****e, I could suffer through anything.

Since that commercial started running, office shootings are up 23.7%. Yep, it's a fact... look it up! :laugh:

FRANKY
07-27-04, 09:26 PM
Let me get this right: Sklenka says he's seen only one broadcast this year, and then goes on to judge the entire season's TV package based on that.

Give me a break.

100% right.

He's a Champ Car fan but hasn't tuned in yet?

Has a Champ Car web site and hasn't tuned in yet?

:shakehead

rabbit
07-27-04, 09:29 PM
100% right.

He's a Champ Car fan but hasn't tuned in yet?

Has a Champ Car web site and hasn't tuned in yet?

:shakeheadWhen you're covering the races in person, it makes it kind of tough to watch the tv broadcast.

Spicoli
07-27-04, 09:47 PM
When you're covering the races in person, it makes it kind of tough to watch the tv broadcast.

Yep. I'm pretty sure he's been to every race but Vancouver. I know he was at LBGP and Monterey and everything else....

But the point is he shouldn't go out there and say what's what by only viewing one broadcast. Me? > I only watched one race on Spike. The rest on HDNet or in person. My recollection is that Spike sucked - mainly cause Booby Jerkins was doing it :blech:

Worse is having his site pimped here. Everyone knows about DonWeb. When he breaks some solid news? Sure - pimp it! But when he's just rambling on about a "View" (aka - editorial), then its just lame like Sippy. :shakehead

Big difference.

Bottom line is this: If you think it sucks - call OWRS, write OWRS or email OWRS and let them know that.

Railbird
07-27-04, 09:58 PM
Isn't blaming the "broadcast partner" for the series' ills an act seen elsewhere?

rabbit
07-27-04, 10:16 PM
Bottom line is this: If you think it sucks - call OWRS, write OWRS or email OWRS and let them know that.But that's not what journalists do. We write about it and people discuss it. It's not our job to call OWRS or whomever and make suggestions.

Ziggy
07-27-04, 10:22 PM
I have been on the Internet since 1998, this link was my first ever trip to his site. Spicoli introduced me to him at the Mile. I said hello, and that was it.

He can write whatever he wants. The only danger is the fourty people who visit his site whenever the comic book message boards go down.

JoeBob
07-27-04, 11:01 PM
But that's not what journalists do. We write about it and people discuss it. It's not our job to call OWRS or whomever and make suggestions.

I'm not sure you want to associate yourself with "journalists" like Don and Mark?

rabbit
07-27-04, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure you want to associate yourself with "journalists" like Don and Mark?
Having worked beside him for two years now, I'll be happy to associate with someone who works as hard as Don does. :thumbup:

Railbird
07-28-04, 07:09 AM
One would think that an expert would have the expertise to tape the events they were attending so they could accurately judge the on-air product before knee jerking after viewing one event.

chump fanboys such as myself manage to do it, why wouldn't we expect the same level of effort from a so called journalist?

It's not like this guy is up against any deadline other than the one he imposes on himself.

Ziggy
07-28-04, 07:14 AM
Having worked beside him for two thirteen now, I'll be happy to associate with someone who works as hard as Railbird does.

Face it rabbit, once again you pimped your friends on Offcamber, and the results were less than sterling

It's like taking a Pontoon boat after the Bismark. Tough crowd

Spicoli
07-28-04, 07:51 AM
But that's not what journalists do. We write about it and people discuss it. It's not our job to call OWRS or whomever and make suggestions.

Not what I meant.

First - no one cares about OW anymore - outside of us Innernet GeEKs and some people in the biz. No one. EARL just got pimped by Women's Volleyball, and CCWS is off the damn radar screen on Spike. We all have horrible broadcasts, and we all have dismal ratings. We all know that. To not admit that is just stupid. Hell, even the Gomerati agree they suck like we do.

If you care - as a fan - then call OWRS and say something. I seriously doubt that anyone will yank your "Journalist ID card" for talking directly to the folks you write about.

This isn't Woodward writing about Oval Office events.

Spicoli
07-28-04, 08:14 AM
...............chump fanboys such as myself ........

you'll need to print this off for RA dood. ;)

http://tiller.homeip.net/images/tmp/Fanboys/PTfanboy.jpg

And one for the Blinky Brigade too! ;)

http://tiller.homeip.net/images/tmp/Fanboys/JunkyFanboy.jpg

XFT
07-28-04, 08:46 AM
He can write whatever he wants. The only danger is the fourty people who visit his site whenever the comic book message boards go down.

:thumbup: They are making news out of non-news to get it up to fifty hits a day :eek: ... Coverage was fine for a Champ Car race, a few messed up audio bits but those were short and unless your studying the coverage for mistake I doubt youll recognize them. I bet these champweb guys don't even watch the race or listen to TK and Benjamin and their awesome comments, they just sit their with paper and pen writing down everything that they see wrong. :o ...

Mark521
07-28-04, 09:51 AM
For what its worth, somebody hacked ChampWeb's home page.

XFT
07-28-04, 10:00 AM
Forums are down too I see

Sean O'Gorman
07-28-04, 12:23 PM
And one for the Blinky Brigade too! ;)

http://tiller.homeip.net/images/tmp/Fanboys/JunkyFanboy.jpg

:rofl:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

rabbit
07-28-04, 02:50 PM
Having worked beside him for two thirteen now, I'll be happy to associate with someone who works as hard as Railbird does.

Face it rabbit, once again you pimped your friends on Offcamber, and the results were less than sterling

It's like taking a Pontoon boat after the Bismark. Tough crowdI wasn't pimping anyone, defending maybe, but not pimping. I knew it wasn't going to be a popular stance, but I took it anyway. And I try not to pimp. I hope I haven't earned a reputation for doing so. And I certainly know better than to question 'bird's credentials. I've met Don at a few races and I like him. Just because I call him a friend and an associate doesn't mean I'm pimping him.

Madmaxfan2
07-28-04, 03:02 PM
Isn't blaming the "broadcast partner" for the series' ills an act seen elsewhere?

I believe you are most correct! That person is lengendary for it. his name rhymes with a brand of an adult diaper product. How appropriate.

AdrianInFlorida
07-29-04, 12:02 AM
That was ironic :gomer: :laugh: Forums are down too I see, guess they pissed off the wrong people
Funny, is it? I got a feeling whoever did it is gonna be in some ***** over it. His site is involved in commerce, he can prove damages if the site/forums are down. Like his site or not, I haven't been over there since the court date so I don't care, but whoever did it, when they get caught they'll be posting to the prisoner pen pals forum.

Opposite Lock
07-29-04, 01:04 AM
That was ironic :gomer:

script kiddies breed bad ju-ju. :thumdown: :cool:

trish
07-29-04, 01:26 AM

Give me a break.
Actually, what he said was he hadn't watched a LIVE telecast until Vancouver. Big difference.

RaceChic
07-29-04, 10:11 AM
Forums are down too I see

Interesting. This is how I read it the first time yesterday morning:

That was ironic :gomer: :laugh: Forums are down too I see, guess they pissed off the wrong people

RaceGrrl
07-29-04, 10:14 AM
Yeah, Chic, I read it that way too. :saywhat:

XFT
07-29-04, 10:28 AM
:thumdown: What I said yesterday sounded a bit, errr.. like I had participated in what had happened, when I obviously had not. My inappropriate comments generated some "feedback" that could keep me busy for a while :( .. Wrong thing to say, wrong time.

Natty
07-29-04, 10:30 AM
looks like they found the culprit.

i kind of feel sorry for the person that did this. they are gonna be in serious trouble.

BNica
07-29-04, 11:59 AM
looks like they found the culprit.

i kind of feel sorry for the person that did this. they are gonna be in serious trouble.

Yep, couple of months and they are gonna start responding to a name that rhymes with "witch" :gomer:

JT265
07-29-04, 12:30 PM
Yep, couple of months and they are gonna start responding to a name that rhymes with "witch" :gomer:

That's just cold Boli. ;)

I mean, they run a democratic system in prison, no??? Like, don't they ever change sides??? :saywhat: :rofl: