PDA

View Full Version : Fisichella to Renault

chop456
07-27-04, 12:59 PM
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headli...727101722.shtml

Giancarlo Fisichella's two-season deal at Renault was settled at Hockenheim and will be announced by the Formula One team on Wednesday, according to reports.

The Roman, who drove for Enstone's former 'Benetton' incarnation from 1998 to 2001, has spent the past three seasons at privateer teams Jordan and Sauber.

But he was a wanted man for '05 and has turned down a solid BMW- Williams offer in a deal brokered by Flavio Briatore who also manages Jaguar's Mark Webber.

Renault's Briatore agreed that the Australian could go to Frank Williams' camp but only if the knighted chief agreed not to sign the courted Fisichella, 31.

Jarno Trulli said on Sunday he'd leave Renault at the end of the season.

A source, meanwhile, told 'The Guardian' that it believed Williams had dropped the ball by 'dithering' in talks with Mika Hakkinen and Jacques Villeneuve.

RichK
07-27-04, 01:11 PM
Well, Fisi has a competitive car now, no more excuses!

Dirty Sanchez
07-27-04, 01:19 PM
Well, Fisi has a competitive car now, no more excuses!What excuses?

RichK
07-27-04, 01:22 PM
What excuses?

I mean that he has no excuses for not winning races next year. Finishing races in 12th right now isn't due to his driving, it's his crappy car.

My post wasn't anti-Fisichella, I'm a fan of his and happy to see him in a competitive car. He'd better win some now!

pinniped
07-27-04, 01:57 PM
I was kind of hoping to see him in a Williams. Unless Renault takes a major step forward they will be like they were this year, good at some tracks, very good at others, but not on the level with Ferrari...Williams on the other hand is always strong...perhaps though Renault will have a new engine and not the Supertec-derived (loosely) unit they are using now - and if so could be a major power. Webber deserves the Williams ride though...and either Villeneuve or Hakkinen would be exciting to watch alongside him...we need another WDC in a top car.

Dirty Sanchez
07-27-04, 02:09 PM
I believe Renault is the better team in the short term for Fisi. Williams looked stronger in 99 with Ralf pedaling that Supertec than they do now, imo.