PDA

View Full Version : New Pale Ale

Don Quixote
02-12-03, 06:38 PM
I feel I have an obligation to OC to report any new beers on the market. I just tried "Dale's Pale Ale" made by Oskar Brewing Company in Lyons Colorado. What sets this one apart is that it comes in a can. They claim it to be the finest beer in a can, and they might be right. Very crisp and bitter, tastes like the finest bottled pale ales. Would come in handy for those events where you cannot take in glass. They have a web site: www.oscarblues.com.

mapguy
02-12-03, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I love pale ale. Gotta see if they sell it here in Upstate NY.

cheers

Warlock!
02-12-03, 07:01 PM
I'm soooo there, dude... The bitterer, the betterer.

Thanks for the heads-up!:cool:

Winter Warlock!

mapguy
02-12-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
I'm soooo there, dude... The bitterer, the betterer.

Thanks for the heads-up!:cool:

Winter Warlock!

'lock, if I can make it to MO this year I am bringing a keg of Upstate NY's best pale, Saranac. I might let you try some....

:D

Classic Apex
02-12-03, 07:14 PM
Forgive me if you already know these beers...

Blue Moon. Its the only damn beer that I won't smack the bartender for putting an orange peel in. Its just that good.

Abita Amber. Micro-brewed in New Orleans. DAMN good stuff. Can be hard to find though. No distibutors for it here in Iowa, for example.

And for the readily available beers...Fosters Bitter. I'd step over my own mother to get one. 'Nuff said.

:cool:

mapguy
02-12-03, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Brian Ericson
Forgive me if you already know these beers...

Blue Moon. Its the only damn beer that I won't smack the bartender for putting an orange peel in. Its just that good.

Abita Amber. Micro-brewed in New Orleans. DAMN good stuff. Can be hard to find though. No distibutors for it here in Iowa, for example.

And for the readily available beers...Fosters Bitter. I'd step over my own mother to get one. 'Nuff said.

:cool:

Spoken like a true man.

chop456
02-12-03, 09:21 PM
I just poured a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale as I sat down to read OC.

Blue Moon Belgian White is good, but not as good as Celis, which is no longer made, naturally. :rolleyes: I don't mind canned Newcastle, but IMHO canned Guinness sucks. I like the bottles better.

I'll keep my eyes open for the canned stuff.

Warlock!
02-13-03, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
'lock, if I can make it to MO this year I am bringing a keg of Upstate NY's best pale, Saranac. I might let you try some....

:D Saranac is good stuff... bought a sampler 12-pak about a month ago, and at least half of 'em I'd rate well above average. That caramel stout (I believe that's what it was called) was a little too... state-fair tasting for me, though :saywhat:

Winter Warlock!

Anal Ventor
02-14-03, 09:45 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMM BEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ziggy
02-16-03, 06:24 PM
No distibutors for it here in Iowa, for example.

You dont say..... none in Iowa? Have they even gotten "Star Wars" yet???

Ziggy!

oddlycalm
02-19-03, 07:13 AM
Thanks for posting this. Very amusing slogan that "finest beer in a can." Always best to aim high and all...;) I'll see if I can find some to try. You're right of course, decent pale ale in a can could come in handy.

Here in Portland we have more microbreweries than anyone can manage to remember, and that means that in addition to the really good efforts, and the better than average brews, one occasionally runs across some really dreadful concoctions I like to refer to as 'What Were They Thinking Ale'. The folks that import our product into Japan were out to dinner with us at Widmer, one of the better breweries and a good place to eat, but they ignored my suggestions and ordered poorly. Upon reflection, their senior man commented to me sincerely in his broken English "ah, so, like Germany before they learn how." I damn near choked I laughed so hard.

He did have a point. A lot of the micro brews have so much 'character' that they can even be tough going for enthusiasts, and forget the average folk. There is something to be said for a smooth well integrated taste. Trying to prove that you can make stout with Cascade hops may be interesting intellectually, but it tastes awful. It's similar to movie directors with their new toy digital surround sound. One wonders when the bombastic and overly dramatic sound tracks will be over and we can return to something that approaches reality. I wish of the same for beer at times. Beers like Watney's and even strong beers like Aass Christmas Beer have well integrated flavors with subtle layerings, not in your face flavors that should the ingrediants at you. Generally speaking, US craft beer is well behind craft wine making in this regard.

oc