PDA

View Full Version : 1:45 Time Limit For RA?

chop456
07-27-04, 07:32 AM
http://roadamerica.com/2004/races/grandprix/images/04_grandprix_schedule.pdf

"52 laps or 105 minutes"

Last year's "race" was 1:35

The fastest complete race ever was 1:37 in '99.

What did I miss?

[edit] :gomer:

Turn7
07-27-04, 07:45 AM
105 minutes is 1:45. Two hour time slot on tv is what is the driving factor in that time limit.

chop456
07-27-04, 08:01 AM
The previous time limit was 2:00 though, right? I don't remember hearing about a change. An 8-minute cushion from the fastest race ever isn't enough, even with 3 fewer laps @ 1:45 each.

Turn7
07-27-04, 08:17 AM
They had 2:30 time slot on tv in the past, since the time slot got cut to 2:00, they have put a shorter time limit on the races all season long to ensure that there will be an intro and a short time to wrap up after the checkers. People used to raise holy hell because ABC/ESPN would show the winner pass the finish line and then cut directly to other programming. So, instead of extending the tv time, they cut the race time.

Dirty Sanchez
07-27-04, 09:31 AM
We were talking about this over the weekend. No way they get that race in under 105 mins. 5 or so yellow flag laps and they go over I bet.

Lameness :thumdown:

Steve99
07-27-04, 10:43 AM
The previous time limit was 2:00 though, right? I don't remember hearing about a change. An 8-minute cushion from the fastest race ever isn't enough, even with 3 fewer laps @ 1:45 each.

They announced at the beginning of the season that the time-limit for all races this year is 1:45. It has been much discussed on the forums.

Old3Fan
07-27-04, 11:15 AM
They announced at the beginning of the season that the time-limit for all races this year is 1:45. It has been much discussed on the forums.

If the time limit was just 30 minutes I, Old3Fan would get more enjoyment than I would if I was watching some other type of OW Racing for the full 2 hours or so. :p

CART T. Katz
07-27-04, 12:25 PM
lets hope that ra has the foresight to get some cranes on the track so that the race can be run f1 style with no yellows for accidents and that may solve the problem of getting the race in under the limit.

mueber
07-27-04, 12:43 PM
It’s a dumb idea. The races are tape delayed. Unfortunately a lot of time is spent circulating around under the yellow; so it would be easy to cut down to the 2 hour TV time slot. If in doubt, eliminate a Bronte spot.

More people are likely to be at Road America than are going to watch it on Spike. The folks at the track should get the whole race regardless.

nrc
07-27-04, 12:57 PM
It’s a dumb idea. The races are tape delayed. \

Not on HDNet.

Hurry Downs
07-27-04, 03:07 PM
:) Speaking of HDNET :) :)

Were did this whole thing come from, is it a time buy?
The first race of the year I was at circut city and the race was on every
High-Def TV! :thumbup:

At the begining of the year, I too was thinking that the 1:45 min race time would be the complete race with some of the race edited out, cautions etc.

Steve99
07-27-04, 03:14 PM
lets hope that ra has the foresight to get some cranes on the track

RA spend money for OWRS? BWAAHAHAHAHA! Somehow I don't think so. :(

Adder
07-31-04, 04:25 PM
I don't think all the races necessarily have the 1:45 time limit, I don't think Milwaukee did as that was shown in a 2:30 time slot here in Europe and seemed to have a 4 hour time limit, but that may just have been the graphics being wrong!

If the race is live on Spike it'll probably be time limited.

Though here in the UK we may get our first delayed race this year as the American Le Mans Series from Mosport over laps by an hour and gets priority as it starts first as Champ Car got priority over ALMS from Portland last time as Champ Car started first.

pchall
07-31-04, 08:00 PM
CART had the 2 hour limit on road/street races way back in the bad old ABC days when they actually got paid by the network for that lousy Paul Page coverage. The lemmings always wanted to make an issue of the "timed" races, but I remember going to a lot of road races as a kid where there was a lap count and a time limit.

So, don't get your knickers in a twist.

RTKar
08-01-04, 10:57 AM
I was under the assumption the 2 hour time limit was applied to adhere to FIA rules. CART/Champcar being a member, had to adhere to it..... I never liked the two hour limit considering CART/Champcar's propensity for street courses and inability to clear yellows efficiently. To knock off 15 minutes is ridiculous, especially on a course like Road America. :thumdown:

Railbird
08-01-04, 11:10 AM
If they were doing this to fit the race in a live network time slot I would understand, as it is it sucks.