PDA

View Full Version : Next Season

pkvracing12
07-26-04, 06:16 PM
I've just been thinking Whats next season going to be like. Will spike still be here or will we be back with speed channel or someone else? How many drivers will we have? Will we stick with the ovals? Lots of question needed to be answered. Who will be the sponsor of the series? But one things going to be different from this season to next no bankrupcty!!!! Long live CCWS and we all can watch the fall of IRL! :cool:

Railbird
07-26-04, 06:26 PM
How 'bout we get a complete '04 schedule before we start pondering the greatness of '05?

Andrew Longman
07-26-04, 06:37 PM
I might even want an 05 schedule before too much silly talk.

But...

The series will be back and I don't see any teams leaving. Maybe one new team and a few may add cars getting the count up to 20-22.

I think Vasser (1 more year), Tracy, AJ, Dominguez, SeeBass, Hunter-Reay, Jourdain, Carp, Tags, and Servia will still be around. Wilson and Haberfeld are likely. The rest will be around so long as they have money in which case someone will take there place. DeMatta replace Junky.

Herdez is already known to be leaving, but I think sponsorship will get better/easier with more tie-ins to the events themselves. Motorsports sponsorships will always be hard and NASCAR will suck up whatever sponsor is inclined.

I'm betting two ovals are still on the schedule. I'm betting maybe two new domestic venues, one street and one road course. And I'm betting two new oversee locations and another Molsen event in Calgary or Edmonton.

Admittedly all pulled from my nethereaches but what's life without fun? Hey, none of that now!

Wolverine
07-27-04, 11:21 AM
I've just been thinking Whats next season going to be like. Will spike still be here or will we be back with speed channel or someone else?

Depends on how big of a check OWRS wants to write to pay for their time buy. Champ Car can be on just about any network they choose if they are willing to write a big enough check. Greater exposure=bigger check, it's that simple. The move to Spike this year was likely made to save money by getting a cheaper time buy.

Andrew Longman
07-27-04, 01:24 PM
Depends on how big of a check OWRS wants to write to pay for their time buy. Champ Car can be on just about any network they choose if they are willing to write a big enough check. Greater exposure=bigger check, it's that simple. The move to Spike this year was likely made to save money by getting a cheaper time buy.

Its not just about buying the time its also about re-selling the ad space, and making money at it.

The Amigos aren't doing much that doesn't make them money.

Evidence this year is that much more than Ford, Bridgestone, and Pacificare are buying time. Either someone is trying harder to sell it or someone is trying harder to buy it, or both. Something has changed for the positive.

And Spike is using it to promote their programing, which would indicate they think someone is watching.

Wolverine
07-28-04, 07:44 AM
Evidence this year is that much more than Ford, Bridgestone, and Pacificare are buying time. Either someone is trying harder to sell it or someone is trying harder to buy it, or both. Something has changed for the positive.

Quite simply, the ad time is cheaper to buy because the time buy cost less in the first place. Also Spike pitches itself to the 18-35 year old male demographic, which is a good match for a racing audience. So...even though the ratings are still miniscule, the small number of folks who are watching are in a very sought-after demographic and make it a good buy for advertisers. The cheap price helps too!

Rogue Leader
07-28-04, 07:51 AM
I like to hop on my computer while Im watching the race during commercials (its 5 feet from the TV) to BS on the boards... I felt lik I was on the computer the whole time during the Champ Car race.. it really does feel like 1.5 hrs of commercials interspersed with 30 minutes of racing. By contrast I noticed F1's commercial breaks are very very short...

Im happy theres a season, I'm happy theres TV coverage, but we arent gonna last to long or gain too many fans when when we see that tortuous Bridgestone commercial more than we see on track action.

Spicoli
07-28-04, 08:00 AM
Blinky gone.

Shorty back.

We win. :)

nrc
07-28-04, 09:05 AM
Quite simply, the ad time is cheaper to buy because the time buy cost less in the first place.

How much cheaper could it be when last year a lot of spots were the kind where they don't get paid anything but a percentage of the Oldies CDs and sold during their program?