PDA

View Full Version : Today in ChampCar history

Wabbit
07-26-04, 02:17 PM
Jul 26 1998

Three spectators are killed by flying debris during the U.S. 500 race at Michigan Speedway. The debris resulted when the car driven by Adrian Fernandez impacted the wall of the raceway, flinging pieces of his suspension into the crowd. Tragically, Fernandez' knees are lightly bruised in the accident and he is unable to complete the race.

XFT
07-26-04, 02:29 PM
I remember watching that race :( Sad day.

rabbit
07-26-04, 03:13 PM
I was sitting in turns 1 and 2. We saw the lifeflight chopper take off and saw ambulance lights down behind the turn 4 stands. We thought someone must have had a heart attack or something. We didn't find out until we turned on the radio as we were leaving the track. Made for a very quiet ride home. :(

Andrew Longman
07-26-04, 03:43 PM
I went the following year with my brother-in-law. He asked a security guy, just out of curiousity, where those poor souls were seated. The guard said, "Right about where you are seated now".

That gave me a chill.

I've thought plenty of times about parts, tires and even cars coming into the stands when I'm at your typical Saturday night local dirt hole, but I never had the slightest fear at a top flight track with high, strong fencing like MIS.

It was such a fluke. The parts flew at just the right angle, but they (wisely)raised the fence at MIS and all Penske tracks that year

RIP

pfc_m_drake
07-26-04, 03:51 PM
I was there as well, however at the turn 1 end of the speedway. I remember when Adrian hit the wall thinking that it looked like some of the debris cleared the fence. But, I didn't give it much thought, and like Rabbit I didn't find out until listening to the radio on the way home that indeed that is what had happened.

It was a sad day...one that I always think of when I sign the liability waiver on the back of my pit/paddock passes at the races I attend.

dekeshooter
07-26-04, 09:23 PM
I was sitting two stands to the right of the incident. My then girlfriend grabbed my arm when she saw Fernandez hit the wall. I turned that way just in time to see the debris bounce across the stand, an image that will always haunt me.

nrc
07-26-04, 10:25 PM
A sad, sad day. I was there at the opposite end of the main straight. Didn't get turned around until Adrian was already off the wall. I'm glad. I remember seeing some commotion in the stands and later being concerned to see that they appeared to be clearing out that section of stands. We didn't hear about the severity of the situation until we heard about it on the radio as we were leaving.

4wheeldrifter
07-27-04, 07:18 AM
My inlaws and family were seated about 5 rows in front and maybe 15 seats down from where it happened. My wife and I would have been there also if we weren't expecting our first child any day. I remember my brother in law (a reader of this forum) saying that he turned just in time to see the tire going about 10-15 feet over his head. Oval racing just wasn't the same after that for any of us and I've never been back to Michigan.

chop456
07-27-04, 07:21 AM
We were sitting in turn 1. I turned to my left just in time to see the crash and flying debris.

A sad and quiet ride home, indeed.

RobGuru
07-27-04, 10:24 AM
I was there also. We were sitting 1 grandstand toward Start-Finish and about 10 rows up. I looked toward the corner just in time to see Fernandez hit the wall. Then I saw the tire fly over the fence and into the crowd. Couldn't believe it.

Thoughts and rememberances to those affected by this tragic indicent.

Madmaxfan2
07-27-04, 12:40 PM
I believe this was really the beginning of the end at MIS. Many a casual fan stated they would not attend a Champ Car race again. My boss at the time was there and that was his conclusion. Fluke or not, attendence began to suffer.