PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Nelson Phillipe

Rogue Leader
07-25-04, 11:25 PM
So the 17 car was inferior equipment compared to Tagliani but Memo managed to qualify it in 5th this weekend...??

Face it you suck, and I hope every other team will tell you to take your money and shove it...

Amanda B.'s Mom
07-25-04, 11:33 PM
WEll said.

Dr. Corkski
07-26-04, 12:58 AM
The 17 car wasn't inferior.

The 17 year old was.

Fio1
07-26-04, 01:46 AM
Guys, the guy is 17! Do you remember what you guys were doing when you were 17? I'd bet you didn't even know how to drive stick then. Say what you want, but the fact remains that by the time Nelson Phillipe is Memo's age, he would have 15 years in Champcars! :p

I don't think some of you guys realise what's going on out there, and what's involved to go motor racing by some of the comments you make. :rolleyes:

chop456
07-26-04, 01:54 AM
Guys, the guy is 17! Do you remember what you guys were doing when you were 17? I'd bet you didn't even know how to drive stick then. Say what you want, but the fact remains that by the time Nelson Phillipe is Memo's age, he would have 15 years in Champcars! :p

I don't think some of you guys realise what's going on out there, and what's involved to go motor racing by some of the comments you make. :rolleyes:

What's involved might be having the good sense to know when you're in WAY over your head. Being in ChampCar at 17 doesn't make you a phenom, it means your father is rich, stupid, and not a very good evaluator of talent.

Lizzerd
07-26-04, 02:28 AM

In a way, you're right. I don't realize what's going on out there. And I do remember what I was doing at 17, 30 years ago. I was driving my dad's car, when he would turn it loose, a big HP Olds Cutlass. I almost killed myself in that thing more than a couple times... but I digress...

I think what you are saying that Phillipe "deserved" his ride and would be a great driver 15 years from now or how ever long his dad's money lasted?

Please correct me if I misunderstand...

Railbird
07-26-04, 06:37 AM
His money is old enough and in today's OWRS that's all that matters.

GOFAST1
07-26-04, 07:09 AM

Agree.

Rogue Leader
07-26-04, 07:54 AM

I know exactly what is involved to go motor racing, I know that when I was 17 I probably would have done worse than he has. But he walks around like hes Schumacher and makes disparaging comments about the Rocketsports team when in reality the problem is the loose nut behind the wheel.

What I can say is that when I was 17 (and even now) I'd realize I dont have the experience to jump into a 800 HP Champ Car and Id take my time to get to the point where I can get in there and be competitive. Heck if I won the lottery tomorrow Id put myself into Formula Renault or Formula Dodge before doing something like he did.

RaceChic
07-26-04, 08:24 AM
I'm of mixed opinion on this one.

Nelson Phillipe should have waited longer before getting into a Champ Car ride. Take more development time. That I agree with.

While I really hate ride buying, it helped the series in the interim. Nelson's father sponsored the ride, and we got 18 cars. It didn't work well in the end. (I believe that Phillipe was rather critical of this high quality ride rather than turning the magnifying glass inward, evaluating ways he could improve, and striving to find ways to accomplish that.) The series then had time to strengthen itself in this rebuilding season. Now CCWS may be in a better position to solicit other options for the ride. Hopefully other sponsors.

fourrunner
07-26-04, 08:40 AM
From what I heard, Nelson lost the ride because the check didn't clear, or the check never came ... So we might not like ridebuyers per se but is he really a ride buyer when he never really paid for the ride?

And then he got a free cheapshot in against the Teams lack of Ability to provide him with the Superior Ride he never paid for! :eek:

Someone should hold him down and cut all his hair off !! ;)

RaceGrrl
07-26-04, 09:51 AM

You're only a kid, so I suppose we should overlook your ignorance but since you know everything, why don't you educate the rest of us?

Just because Fabio was the youngest driver to "race" in Champ Cars doesn't mean he was deserving of the ride. It doesn't mean he has talent, and it certainly doesn't mean that he'll be around in 15 years. He's lucky he lasted 15 days. All it means is that daddy paid for his ride. There have been plenty of talentless hacks who've done the same thing- pay for a ride, then washout because they don't really have what it takes to succeed. The only credit I'll give him is for having the courage to get in the car to begin with and for managing to stay out of the way of the real racers on the track.

Problem with Fabio is that he chose to spit on the team the he drove for. Someone needs to spank his spoiled, whiny little ass.

Axel
07-26-04, 11:09 AM
Well at the track this weekend, i was standing in the front area of the Rocketsport garage area, and PG was talking with RHR (sorry i missed the first part) as i was just trying to get close enough and have my back turned so i could eave's drop in on there conversation....... RHR was just trying to figure out how the team was doing and what was happening with the NP deal.
And PG was saying that the kid was learning many things and then the pressure had gotten to him. And that he didnt have a choice but to sue. As there was a contract that they signed and he didnt have a choice...
RHR mentioned that YA you dont have much choice with the amount of money that is invoived in the contract....

That is all i heard and never understood , who he had to sue and for what but
he sounded very confident of what was going to happen.

Forza Lancia
07-26-04, 11:30 AM
I don't really mind pay drivers, in general -- some drivers come from racing families; some drivers hail from the "right" countries -- there are all sorts of advantages, other than talent and ability, that some drivers can exploit to get a ride. What does bother me, though, is when a pay drivers criticizes his team, the way Nelson did. I think a pay driver should be sensible enough to realize that the fact that he's off the pace is probably not the fault of his equipment. As a contrast, consider Alex Yoong: he always took a lot of abuse from fans for being a pay driver, but he always seemed like a class act when he was interviewed. He never had a bad word about his car or team -- despite the fact that he drove for Minardi and Dale Coyne...

Madmaxfan2
07-26-04, 11:32 AM
His money is old enough and in today's OWRS that's all that matters.

It is no different in that other league either. I guess Nelson ought to be hunting in the EARL now.

Wheel-Nut
07-26-04, 11:46 AM
. . . . .

Someone should hold him down and cut all his hair off !! ;)

But wouldn't that "zap" him of all his racing talent?

Rogue Leader
07-26-04, 07:14 PM
Exactly what I meant guys. I am a PG fan I have been for many years from Trans Am till now (hes the savior of our series!), I also like Tag because hes a good guy and has given me a lot of good advice to help me in my attempt at a racing career. So to me to talk s**** about them is like dissing on my friends, when you have no basis. And Memo's performance proved by far that NP was a s**** slinger plain and simple. I dont care that Memo's got 15 years on him, the first thing you need to learn as a race car driver (or in just driving a car on the street for that matter) is that more than likely its you that sucks and not the car. Apparently daddy warbucks didn't teach him that, nor did he learn by taking up Gaston Movingchicanes position at the back.

Hard Driver
07-26-04, 09:44 PM
Look the guy belongs i na lower series is true. If champcar had sponsors lining up with wads of cash he wouldn't be there. So who's fault is it? If you were a young race driver with money, would you turn down the opportunity. He was just too early in his learning curve to be there. Or maybe he has no talant. But we don't know because he isn't experienced enough for us to know. But Don't rail on the kid for not winning right away. If anything rail on Champcar for letting him in. Or get right to the root of the problem and realize that Tony George screwed up US racing years ago and we are still paying the price.

pkvracing12
07-27-04, 02:33 PM

I don't think some of you guys realise what's going on out there, and what's involved to go motor racing by some of the comments you make. :rolleyes:actually my first car was a stick and i was a drunk at 17