PDA

View Full Version : In the end I couldn't do it...

HolyCrap
07-23-04, 06:01 PM
The IRL is racing this weekend at the Mile. I was offered a ride in their two-seater with Michael Andretti at the wheel and I turned it down. I just couldn't do it. It's all too sad really. For some reason these days my interest in Champ Car is even fading. Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France is much bigger for me now.

Even so, I couldn't bring myself to strap into a crapwagon, so I guess my loyalities, even if my interest is fading in it, lies with Champ Car.

FanofMario
07-23-04, 06:09 PM
I hear you on the interest deal, but were proud of you for turning down a ride in a crapwagon with Benedict Arnold at the wheel! :thumbup:

Wally
07-23-04, 06:21 PM
Thats a no brainer.... :shakehead

HolyCrap
07-23-04, 06:26 PM
Not according to some of my friends giving me grief about the decision..."How could you turn down a ride with Michael Andretti!!!"

Dougrun
07-23-04, 06:28 PM
smart decision! You'll get a beer from me if we meet! :thumbup:

devilmaster
07-23-04, 06:30 PM
Not according to some of my friends giving me grief about the decision..."How could you turn down a ride with Michael Andretti!!!"

well you could have taken the ride, and as your tooling around mke, pull your arm out and continually smack mikey on the head......

say yes, then just as you walk up to him, pie him and walk away....

or go up and say i'm all set, oh wait! this is a crapwagon! i'm not getting in that flying deathtrap and then walk away.....

any other ideas guys? :gomer:

Steve

JoeBob
07-23-04, 06:32 PM
Good move. If he hit the wall, he would have blamed you. It wouldn't have been his fault.

RichK
07-23-04, 06:40 PM
I would've done it for sure.

Audi_A4
07-23-04, 06:44 PM
Dude, you missed out. I agree the IRL is nasty and a waste of time, but the chance to do laps with Michael Andretti in a racecar (even a crapwagon) would be an awesome experience.

Michaelhatesfans
07-23-04, 07:20 PM
I would have gone. Just to tell him what a POS I think he is, then leave. It would make a few moments of his life unpleasant. I would have given up an entire day for that.

Hard Driver
07-23-04, 07:33 PM
I'm proud of you. I think I would have turned that one down too. Oval, crapwagon and Michael... Too many crappy variable to risk my life. And then add the IRL thing and I would not have any interest. Now give me the 2 seater champcar on a road course and I will camp outside in a tent for a week waiting to be the first in line.

dando
07-23-04, 08:03 PM
I woulda gone just so's I could lock the poor @ss in the porta pottie just like that Honder commercial a few years back! ;)

I admire your decision. That must have been a very difficult decision. Would have been easy for since I'd never fit into a 2-seater anyway. :cry:

-Kevin

FRANKY
07-23-04, 08:07 PM
The IRL is racing this weekend at the Mile. I was offered a ride in their two-seater with Michael Andretti at the wheel and I turned it down. I just couldn't do it. It's all too sad really. For some reason these days my interest in Champ Car is even fading. Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France is much bigger for me now.

Even so, I couldn't bring myself to strap into a crapwagon, so I guess my loyalities, even if my interest is fading in it, lies with Champ Car.

Holy Crap! :D

I can't say I would have, if not for at least giving him my 2 cents worth about racing.

Railbird
07-23-04, 08:25 PM
Was he ride free?

If so I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't throw down the kind of money I've seen asked for a two seater ride if the damn thing was a Champcar driven by Achille Varzi and I got to hold his stash.

I'm going up there tomorrow for the Silver Crown/Midget double header.

nissan gtp
07-23-04, 08:53 PM
Was he ride free?

If so I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't throw down the kind of money I've seen asked for a two seater ride if the damn thing was a Champcar driven by Achille Varzi and I got to hold his stash.

:rofl:

stroker
07-23-04, 10:39 PM
What if you'd walked up to him and said, "Jeez, Mike. I'd sure go if Sarah Fisher was driving, but YOU? No thanks."

Old3Fan
07-23-04, 10:55 PM
Good move. If he hit the wall, he would have blamed you. It wouldn't have been his fault.

:gomer: No, he would have blamed Paul Tracy. :p :D

darrylkropp
07-24-04, 01:39 AM
:gomer: No, he would have blamed Paul Tracy. :p :D

I'm not a big MA fan...have even been known to yell derogatory remarks at him during parade laps at the Molson Indy Vancouver. But, I definitely would have gone on that ride. That would be very cool, even if it is a crapwagon! :D

cart7
07-24-04, 08:13 AM
Why would you want to do that? :gomer:

racer2c
07-24-04, 10:04 AM
Turn down a ride with Andretti. IRL or not, that's a once in a lifetime opportunity for the average fan. I would have done it.

Bicycles? Hell, at least go with motorcycle racing, those guys don't shave their legs.

Warlock!
07-24-04, 10:09 AM
...I couldn't bring myself to strap into a crapwagon, so I guess my loyalities... lie with Champ Car.
Good man.

Warlock!

Ozarkian
07-24-04, 12:54 PM
Standing up for your moral principles is tough. This could make a good textbook study ... IMHO, good choice.

Besides, like everyone has said, if Mikey'd wadded the thing up, it would have been YOUR fault for hitting him over the head with a hammer whlie yelling, "Traitor!!"

theunions
07-24-04, 02:14 PM
So did you actually tell the IRL/Mikey/your friends who objected why you declined?

RaceGrrl
07-24-04, 04:06 PM
Good question, unions.

I wouldn't take the ride either. The fact that the crapwagon is being driven by Traitor Whinedretti doesn't matter to me at all. Unless that crapwagon is being driven by the Legend himself, there is no way in hell I'd consider getting in it.

HolyCrap
07-24-04, 04:08 PM
Yes I did.
It's the IRL....and Tony George wrecked it all and Mike jumped ship...simple as that.

Some understand.
Some do not.

As I wrote this I can hear the crapwagon engines qualifying just down the road from my beloved Mile. They better scrub that track clean to get all the scum off once the SOB's leave.....

racer2c
07-24-04, 04:35 PM
Yes I did.
It's the IRL....and Tony George wrecked it all and Mike jumped ship...simple as that.

Some understand.
Some do not.

As I wrote this I can hear the crapwagon engines qualifying just down the road from my beloved Mile. They better scrub that track clean to get all the scum off once the SOB's leave.....

Some get it and some don't? Puleeze. Richmond is 35 minutes from my house and I've purposely never attended a single IRL race there.

A ride in a two seater driven by Michael Andretti is a different story. I despise NASCAR, but I wouldn't turn down a ride with one of their stars.

JohnHKart
07-24-04, 06:08 PM
Hmmm.....huge Michael fan ten years ago...and I've stopped watching the IRL for many reasons. It would be a huge conflict for sure, which I would have to ask friends for advice. I guess I would do it, because it would be the experience of a lifetime.

John

Railbird
07-24-04, 10:15 PM
You folks aren't stupid.

but you are dorks.

Honor and principles?

Puhleaze :shakehead

Wheel-Nut
07-24-04, 10:42 PM
I would have to do it.

When am I going to get another chance to do 160+ mph?

Cam
07-24-04, 11:02 PM
I would have to do it.

When am I going to get another chance to do 160+ mph?

I have done 700+.....

In a 747! :D

Jag_Warrior
07-25-04, 01:47 AM
On my death bed, I'm sure there will be a lot of things I'll regret not getting in (cars! you people get your minds outta the gutter ;) ), but I can't imagine an IRL car will be in that mental picture book.

racer2c
07-25-04, 11:27 AM
On my death bed, I'm sure there will be a lot of things I'll regret not getting in (cars! you people get your minds outta the gutter ;) ), but I can't imagine an IRL car will be in that mental picture book.

Save the drama for your momma. :p

Jag_Warrior
07-25-04, 12:19 PM
Save the drama for your momma. :p

The memory of turning down a ride in an IRL car would follow you through life?

Some stuff that happened at Camelot (or didn't happen) will stay with me, but an IRL car? :rofl: