PDA

View Full Version : computer go boom

rosawendel
07-23-04, 03:55 PM
okay, so my power supply on my home 'puter fried because of a power spike, and i'm replacing my power supply. unfortunately, as it was consuming itself, it sprayed a bunch of gunk on the inside of the box, getting all over the motherbopard, but particularly my graphics card. i don't think it'll be a big deal to install a new power supply, but how do i clean the gunk off the cards? what can i use on them? i';m guessing water or fantastik would probably be bad. any help? thx.

RichK
07-23-04, 03:59 PM
I'm no expert, but maybe you could check into what circuit board companies use to clean excess solder from their boards. Many years ago, they used a solvent to do this, which left no conductive residue behind.

I'd imagine that Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol that you can buy at a drugstore) would work well, as it doesn't leave much behind and is safe.

Check this out: Alconox (http://cleaning.alconox.com/circuit_board_cleaning.htm)
They even will send you a free sample! :)

Lizzerd
07-23-04, 04:22 PM
Yep, the alcohol and an old toothbrush. I suspect that the gunk is from an electrolytic capacitor. Can't remember what that stuff is called.

Ummmm... No power surge protection? Shame on you.

Edit: I hope I'm wrong, but you might end up being lucky if it is only your power supply that got fried.

rosawendel
07-23-04, 04:32 PM
thanks for the ideas. hopefully, it was just the power supply... i'll know as soon as i get the new one.

btw, the power surge strip did nothing. there waqs an alarm in it that did go off, but it just passed the juice on to the computer... no help from the circuit breaker, the fuse box, or the surge protector, just the power supply (poor little fella).

cart7
07-25-04, 09:33 AM
Yep, the alcohol and an old toothbrush. I suspect that the gunk is from an electrolytic capacitor. Can't remember what that stuff is called.

They call it electrolyte. :p Seriously, Liz is right. The lytics blew because of over voltage. I'd be shocked if the power supply is the only thing that fried. I'd guess the motherboard, CPU, possibly hard-drive and just about anything else was vulnerable.

Wabbit
07-25-04, 01:29 PM
thanks for the ideas. hopefully, it was just the power supply... i'll know as soon as i get the new one.

btw, the power surge strip did nothing. there waqs an alarm in it that did go off, but it just passed the juice on to the computer... no help from the circuit breaker, the fuse box, or the surge protector, just the power supply (poor little fella).

Was it one of those Wal-Mart $9.95 specials?

I personally don't use any suge protecter under $50. Tripp-Lite make the best that I have seen. Guarantees the equipment for up to $10,000 in damages if it fails.

lone_groover
07-25-04, 01:44 PM
For god's sake, buy ONLY 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Most of the stuff that doesn't specify 91% on the label will be 70% Alcohol and have 30% water and a little bit of glycerine to make soapy to the touch.

You don't want 30% water on your paper cuts, your Randolph Aviators, or your muthaborards!

Conversely, you can always use ethyl. Everclear costs alot more than Isopropyl, but it won't make you blind.

:)

JT265
07-25-04, 02:38 PM
Conversely, you can always use ethyl. Everclear costs alot more than Isopropyl, but it won't make you blind.

:)

Hmmmm. Seems I've heard this tune before.

Is she STILL around????

:D

rosawendel
07-28-04, 09:25 PM
update
the good news: the replacement power supply arrived today from HP, and i installed it. the computer itself works fine now. in fact, that's what i'm using to post this. (whew).

the bad news so far, the total tally is two wall warts (the one that runs the DSL modem, and the one that runs the subwoofer), and the power supply. about 80 bucks total (plus about 50 bucks for a new surge protector).

thanks to all for your help. it's good to be connected at home again. :thumbup:

rosawendel
07-28-04, 09:52 PM
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hdemp04@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/2270&.dnm=890d.jpg

yep. it go boom big time. thanks again.

nrc
07-28-04, 10:09 PM
Sounds like you got off pretty lucky all things considered. Unfortunately viewing your pic requires a Yahoo login.

rosawendel
07-29-04, 08:39 AM
*&%^&^%$!!!!!!
i figured that's why it didn't post the actual photo, just the link. oh well... in any event, the old one was pretty cooked.

JLMannin
07-29-04, 12:57 PM
What is a "wall wart"?

rosawendel
07-29-04, 02:29 PM
What is a "wall wart"?

ac adapters.

indyfan31
07-29-04, 03:35 PM
ac adapters.

Still don't get it, why would a PC need an "AC Adapter" if it already runs on AC?

rosawendel
07-29-04, 03:57 PM
Still don't get it, why would a PC need an "AC Adapter" if it already runs on AC?

the ac adapters that blew along with the computer powered the DSL modem and the subwoofer, which were plugged into the same power strip.

JLMannin
08-02-04, 12:54 PM
I guess I'm as dense as Indyfan31 - did the blow-up happen when the 'puter, subwoofer and DSL modem were all plugged into a DC to AC inverter? (i.e, in a vehicle, or some other place where AC power is not available?)

rosawendel
08-02-04, 02:30 PM
I guess I'm as dense as Indyfan31 - did the blow-up happen when the 'puter, subwoofer and DSL modem were all plugged into a DC to AC inverter? (i.e, in a vehicle, or some other place where AC power is not available?)

<sigh>
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/273/273-1631.jpg
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4247/4247773_ra.jpg

ac adapters at radio shack (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F001&Page=1)