PDA

View Full Version : Korea off the calendar ?

jonovision_man
07-22-04, 09:18 AM
TSN article (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=91970)

Not that much of a surprise really, the schedule is back to being pretty slim. Curious to see the 2005 plans, hope they can swing some profitable international events!

jono

CARTNUT
07-23-04, 02:29 AM
Oh Darn! I just put a CCWS sticker on the back of my new Hyundai Elantra GT! I hope I didn't jinx it! :(

'NUT :gomer:

Spicoli
07-23-04, 06:31 AM
Korea off the calendar ?

http://www.slightlywarped.com/forumpictures/mis/lastweek2.jpg

jonovision_man
07-23-04, 08:06 AM
http://www.slightlywarped.com/forumpictures/mis/lastweek2.jpg

I think you'll find that Korea is in fact still on the schedule:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Event/EventSchedule.asp

I hadn't seen the TSN or Autoweek article posted here, so it was new information. Maybe I missed it, I'm sure you'll be more than happy to provide a link.

Spicoli
07-23-04, 08:26 AM
I think you'll find that Korea is in fact still on the schedule:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Event/EventSchedule.asp

I hadn't seen the TSN or Autoweek article posted here, so it was new information. Maybe I missed it, I'm sure you'll be more than happy to provide a link.

Just some good natured fun my man.

I hear stuff usually before alot of people, mainly because I have friends in the business and live in Indy. My understanding is that Clare was sent over there in early June and told not to come back without a signed contract (so to speak). Well, he came back and evidently the Korean government isn;t ready to make the move. Another report says the circuit wasn't ready or something to that effect.

These guys have a tough road to hoe these days. When, for the last 2 years every crackass self-proclaimed motor racing journalist has been writing your obituary; TG & FN have been declaring you won't make it til next year; your former team owners and "star" drivers have deserted you; and you are supposed to sit down at the negotiating table and play your strengths? :confused: That's asking alot. But those guys are trying. CCWS isn;t perfect, and I'm not sure I like everything I see (and don;t see) so far. But I've met the 3 Amigos, talked to them, read their comments, and believe they have the best intentions and and willing to commit the resources to get this series back on track.

I didn't expect much from CCWS this year. What I did expect from this year was the formation of a philosophy about what the series is going to look like in the near future. I want a concrete schedule with some damn races I can get too! and some good racing formula. I want a series of people that want to be there, and aren't on the Yen tit.

We have seen the enemy - the EARL. They have played their last cards. They have robbed, swindeled, bought and copied everything that was and is ChampCar, and it still isn't working. CART Fan 1 isn't buying CART Part 2.

Watch Milwaukee with EARL. Watch to see if the go road racing next year. Those 2 things will tell you alot about the future.

jonovision_man
07-23-04, 08:52 AM
No biggie, I just don't want to miss something because someone was worried posting it might be a repeat.

I wasn't trying to be critical, just informative, the Korea race was pie-in-the-sky stuff to start with IMO. Seems that for every event that's rumoured, only about 1 in 10 hit the pavement. This one made the calendar, so obviously there's a serious push here, but hard to put something together so quickly.

I agree with most of what you said, I didn't expect much this year either and for the most part it's only moderately worse than last year. I was expecting 12 or 13 races and a grid with 16 cars. I didn't expect the last-minute defections, that was disappointing, but I wouldn't blame the 3 amigos for that, it was the situation they inheritted more than anything.

I do blame them for the points system, though. :)

I think things are quite a bit better in one respect, though - the financials are not public. When CART was around, we knew the company was in deep trouble, sponsors knew, teams knew, it had to be tough to convince anyone to get on board. Now it's all hidden, so there can be a bit of an illusion of success and stability, even if that's not the case. (Maybe it is the case? Who knows? :))

jono

cart7
07-23-04, 09:02 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the area CCWS wanted to use as the track was within a flood plain for some river over there. The time of year the race would take place would put it in jeapardy of being flooded out. Maybe. :confused:

Spicoli
07-23-04, 09:06 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the area CCWS wanted to use as the track was within a flood plain for some river over there. The time of year the race would take place would put it in jeapardy of being flooded out. Maybe. :confused:

Yeah - some crap like that I heard too.

anyway - I don;t think the race was pie-in-the-sky either. Dave Clare came to CCWS from Korea and has many ties over there. They have alot of money and are a coming force in the auto industry. I think it may happen next year, but WTF.

All I ask is gimme RA or MO so I can have my most fun weekend of the year. And get rid of those stupid ass ovals. :saywhat:

jonovision_man
07-23-04, 09:58 AM
What makes me say that is that the old CART method of losing money on races to build markets (ie. the Europe strategy) is out the window with the new owners. If Korea wants a race, they have to foot the bill for the travel and everything I expect, hopefully including profit for CCWS. They must have suggested they would be willing to do this, thus the inclusion on the calendar, but not surprised that it didn't come together.