PDA

View Full Version : AutoExtremist predicting announcement of 1 less..

cart7
07-21-04, 08:06 AM
engine manufacturer in the earl next year, in a couple month's.

Linkie Thang (http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml)

Chebbie?

Spicoli
07-21-04, 09:15 AM
My guess is yoda.

Why else is RP testing a Chevy and begging KK for some reunification.

Rome is burning people. Sit back and watch.

jonovision_man
07-21-04, 09:36 AM

RP is testing a Chevy?

Michaelhatesfans
07-21-04, 10:12 AM
My guess is yoda.

Burn, baby, burn...

4wheeldrifter
07-21-04, 10:26 AM
Ahhh, violin music by a roaring "campfire". Sounds nice. :laugh:

Me too: RP is testing Chebby? If so I'd say Yoda is the candidate. Too bad, Rog. :shakehead

Steve99
07-21-04, 11:20 AM
The only thing these four men care about apparently is their own out-of-control egos, because they certainly couldn't care less about what's best for the greater overall good of the sport of open-wheel racing - or its fans.

This quote seems to apply to one of the men, but he seems to be using an awfully wide brush there. :shakehead

Joe in LA
07-21-04, 11:42 AM
This quote seems to apply to one of the men, but he seems to be using an awfully wide brush there. :shakehead

It is a pretty broad brush--if TG just said "not interested", what were they to do?

anait
07-21-04, 11:45 AM
Burn, baby, burn...

:D Now I'm gonna be singing that all morning...

Sean O'Gorman
07-21-04, 11:49 AM
And the Domino effect begins.

2005, Honda v. Chevy? I don't think so. 2006, Honda v. Chevy? Definitely not!

Unfortunately this could end up being what chases the manufacturers away from U.S. open wheel racing for good.

Winston Wolfe
07-21-04, 12:00 PM

Unfortunately this could end up being what chases the manufacturers away from U.S. open wheel racing for good.

honda vs. chebbie ?

Can you say "Repeat 1998"?????

Didnt Honda win R.O.Y., Engine Manuf Champ, Driver Champ, 14 races, all kinds of poles, have various 1-2-3 sweeps, including pole, and pretty much dominate that season ?

What they would do in the EARL would make that '98 season pale in comparison.... but if no one is watching, or attending, then who friggin' gives ? :shakehead

Spicoli
07-21-04, 12:25 PM
Chevies EARL budget is minscule compared to Yen budgets. they would have very little to lose or gain by leaving. Make sense?

Then they can dominate Vision Version 9.1 (The Yenless Years). Hey - I kinda like that~!

Does this mean Beechler is back in the mix? I'd love to see a return of the original gomers. Dr. Jack, Sarah, Donnie, some Laziers, and maybe 310 can dust of the cobwebs too! :gomer:

But alas - We can all dream, can't we? :D

Joe in LA
07-21-04, 01:29 PM
My guess is yoda.

I thought T and H announced extensions, while Chevy sat quitely on the sidelines. I expect to see Chevy fold after two years of abuse.

oddlycalm
07-21-04, 02:02 PM

No problem, I've got a bag of marshmellows, some long sticks, and a comfortable chair.

oc

JohnHKart
07-21-04, 05:59 PM
Ah yes from my favorite Enron quote I'm fond of imitating complete with the proper inflections:

"Burn Baby Burn, It's a beautiful thaaang"

John

Madmaxfan2
07-21-04, 06:26 PM

GOOD! Top level formula car road racing does not need the $$$ of engine manufacturers with the strings attached. Some of the big independent enigne builders have impressive facilities plus engineering talent, and most engine parts in OEM applications are not manufactured by the OEM itself, but by outside suppliers, and this is especially true of racing engines.

Sean O'Gorman
07-21-04, 06:31 PM
GOOD! Top level formula car road racing does not need the $$$ of engine manufacturers with the strings attached. Some of the big independent enigne builders have impressive facilities plus engineering talent, and most engine parts in OEM applications are not manufactured by the OEM itself, but by outside suppliers, and this is especially true of racing engines.

Yeah, who needs those damn engine manufacturers and the sponsorship, engineering, publicity, and prestige they bring!? :rolleyes:

The engine manufacturers were only able to run CART (and IRL currently) because they were the only sponsors on the cars with any sort of significant influence. If they disappear, the series is extremely hurt. If the series is strong, like NASCAR, the disappearance of the manufacturers will have a lesser effect.

Michaelhatesfans
07-21-04, 07:08 PM
:D Now I'm gonna be singing that all morning...
...Disco inferno....

Just in case you finally got it out of your head. :p

pchall
07-22-04, 09:50 AM
There was that post Indy rumor that Penske was negotiating with Chevy to run their engines in 2005. At the time I thought that meant that Toyota was not going to pay the freight for its teams and drivers any longer -- just supply engines according to their contract with the IRL. If Yodas aren't free next year, nobody will want to run them.

If the rumor of one less engine in the IRL is true, it will be interesting to see which one goes away. For some reason I think it might be Honda. Penske probably wants the Chevy IRL deal to keep Ilmor NA in business and guarantee his team top notch engines paid for by GM Motorsports.

SteveH
07-22-04, 09:57 AM
AR1 is reporting in their rumors section that it is Chevy.

So, is that two manufacturers that are leaving or just one?

Cam
07-22-04, 10:08 AM
AR1 is reporting in their rumors section that it is Chevy.

So, is that two manufacturers that are leaving or just one?

I just heard from a very credible source that it is Chevy too. :saywhat:

FTG
07-22-04, 10:47 AM
Chevy this year, Toyota and Honda next year.

jonovision_man
07-22-04, 11:54 AM
Yeah, who needs those damn engine manufacturers and the sponsorship, engineering, publicity, and prestige they bring!? :rolleyes:

The engine manufacturers were only able to run CART (and IRL currently) because they were the only sponsors on the cars with any sort of significant influence. If they disappear, the series is extremely hurt. If the series is strong, like NASCAR, the disappearance of the manufacturers will have a lesser effect.

I don't think any series can look lightly at manufacturers leaving, even F1, and they have more than anyone. It inevitably means either less cars or more strain put on the remaining manufacturer programs, which can be a slippery slope toward more departures.

Ankf00
07-22-04, 12:05 PM
HAHHA

and the honda's designed in england, bahhaha

RaceChic
07-22-04, 12:12 PM

I sense the party of all parties in Indy coming up very soon. :D

:cool:

We will be doing the tribal dance around the campfire. ;)

Madmaxfan2
07-22-04, 12:29 PM
How many times must the same mistakes repeated before lessions get learned? Let's count.
1. IMSA GTP years- Manufacturer dominated-GONE
2. CART( 1988-2001)- Manufacturer Dominated- GONE
3. IRL (2001-PRESENT) _ Manufacturer Dominated-GOING

Yeh, I want that short term here today gone tommorrow support so you can see your favorite sport grow. :shakehead I work for an OEM, I know what is important to the top, it's not supporting racing series. The street that interest these guys is Wall Street, not 16th and Georgetown , or Ocean Blvd. either for that matter.

FanofMario
07-22-04, 12:33 PM
Who knows what is going to happen---my guess its Chevy leaving. Some guy on CCF is spouting a rumor of BMW going to EARL along with picking up a German race next year. This must be the silly season!

nrc
07-22-04, 12:58 PM
When the BMW rumors start up again things are desperate indeed. Why would BMW pour that kind of money down the crapper to compete in a series that doesn't match their demos against brands who aren't their competition? When it was Chevy and Nissan an it was a cherry waiting to be picked I could see it. Getting mixed up in the Honda/Toyota spending wars is the dumbest investment in motorsports.

jonovision_man
07-22-04, 01:20 PM
May many times must the same mistakes repeated before lessions get learned? Let's count.
1. IMSA GTP years- Manufacturer dominated-GONE
2. CART( 1988-2001)- Manufacturer Dominated- GONE
3. IRL (2001-PRESENT) _ Manufacturer Dominated-GOING

Yeh, I want that short term here today gone tommorrow support so you can see your favorite sport grow. :shakehead I work for an OEM, I know what is important to the top, it's not supporting racing series. The street that interest these guys is Wall Street, not 16th and Georgetown , or Ocean Blvd. either for that matter.

What's your definition of "manufacaturer dominated", every series has some manufacturer involvement... F1 and NASCAR are the most successful series right now, and both have heavy manufacturer involvement.

As long as a series keeps its manufacturers happy in the "Wall Street" department good things follow. I'd be surprised if NASCAR lost any manufacturers anytime soon, F1 may due to costs but they have enough that it's not critical.

Reliance means vulnerability, strong series can overcome manufacturer whims.

Ankf00
07-22-04, 02:02 PM
What's your definition of "manufacaturer dominated", every series has some manufacturer involvement... F1 and NASCAR are the most successful series right now, and both have heavy manufacturer involvement.

As long as a series keeps its manufacturers happy in the "Wall Street" department good things follow. I'd be surprised if NASCAR lost any manufacturers anytime soon, F1 may due to costs but they have enough that it's not critical.

Reliance means vulnerability, strong series can overcome manufacturer whims.

if they peeled off their chevy and pontiac and dodge and ford logos nascar would still be running the same equipment given the proper sponsorship money to keep their development going. Ford isn't designing revolutionary new engines and chassis for these guys, they're the ones doing it

Racewriter
07-22-04, 02:26 PM
if they peeled off their chevy and pontiac and dodge and ford logos nascar would still be running the same equipment given the proper sponsorship money to keep their development going. Ford isn't designing revolutionary new engines and chassis for these guys, they're the ones doing it

Yep.

There isn't a single part on a Cup car that can't be easily produced by the automotive aftermarket - most already are produced that way. The only things I can think of on current Cup cars that are proprietary to the manufacturers are the heads. There's no reason for them to discontinue them, since they're a profit center.

If, however, the manufacturers decided to no longer produce parts, NASCAR could simply legalize the World Products and Dart blocks for the Ford, Chevy, and Mopar engines, and allow aftermarket heads. You would, however, see a lot of helicopters and Gulf Streams go on the market, I'd say. :D

jonovision_man
07-22-04, 02:44 PM

I'm not going to claim to be NASCAR guy, I'm really not, but isn't part of the appeal seeing Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge out there battling it out? Either perceived or real, take them out and I'd imagine the sport loses some appeal, even if the cars and drivers are the same.

Besides, is that really the kind of independence from manufacturers you want?

I prefer the all-out engineering battle between F1 engine (and chassis!) manufacturers to the Champcar leasing old Cosworths and chassis freezes. I know it's neccessity short term but long term I'd like to see the manufacturers back in Champcars.

And nobody from the IRL is going to convince me losing Honda, Toyota or Chevy is a good thing...

racer2c
07-22-04, 02:54 PM
I'm not going to claim to be NASCAR guy, I'm really not, but isn't part of the appeal seeing Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge out there battling it out? Either perceived or real, take them out and I'd imagine the sport loses some appeal, even if the cars and drivers are the same.

Besides, is that really the kind of independence from manufacturers you want?

I prefer the all-out engineering battle between F1 engine (and chassis!) manufacturers to the Champcar leasing old Cosworths and chassis freezes. I know it's neccessity short term but long term I'd like to see the manufacturers back in Champcars.

And nobody from the IRL is going to convince me losing Honda, Toyota or Chevy is a good thing...

NASCAR is all about the drivers. They could run Briggs and Strattons and still get 100K at every race.

Spicoli
07-22-04, 03:17 PM
That BMW rumor is a fookin joke to see if marxie will bite and report it.

Use some common sense folks.

RacinM3
07-22-04, 05:19 PM
LOL....if BMW went to the earl there'd be a poll posted in OT for a new screen name for me so fast it would make your head spin. :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
07-22-04, 05:37 PM
I vote for RacinLeCar

Brickman
07-22-04, 08:05 PM
The manufacturers are plain stupid. They sign on to engine formulas that raises their costs and limits their numbers. So they are busy writing checks and writing checks and writing checks.

Make the damn formula cheaper and easier and there would be more teams and less manufacturer payouts. Groundhog Day 2004 is just like 2003, 2002, 2001...

Sean O'Gorman
07-22-04, 08:43 PM
The manufacturers are plain stupid. They sign on to engine formulas that raises their costs and limits their numbers. So they are busy writing checks and writing checks and writing checks.

Make the damn formula cheaper and easier and there would be more teams and less manufacturer payouts. Groundhog Day 2004 is just like 2003, 2002, 2001...

But Brickman, how can you keep costs in check when the competition will always outspend you in order to win?

Cam
07-22-04, 08:46 PM
But Brickman, how can you keep costs in check when the competition will always outspend you in order to win?

Just read version 1 of the vision.... It's all right there..... Oh wait.... Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Spicoli
07-22-04, 09:38 PM
Just read version 1 of the vision.... It's all right there..... Oh wait.... Nevermind. :rolleyes:

TG: THAT VISION NEVER EXISTED EXCEPT IN THE MINDS OF HATERS LIKE YOU. THE IRL WAS CREATED TO GIVE ALL RACERS A CHANCE AT WINNING THE INDY 500. BEECHLER BLEW HIS CHANCE. PAUL TRACY WAS DISRESPECTFUL. KEVIN KALKONVEN IS TOO. HATERS HATERS HATERS! PLUS I RAN OUT OF MONEY. UNCLE AJ SAMMICH KNOWS THAT A VISION MUST BE "NIMBLE" AND "ADJUSTABLE" AND SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE COEFFICIENT OF THE SYMMETRY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, RIGHT FRED?

FRED: AND THAT CONCLUDES TODAY'S PRESS CONFERENCE.

Al Czervik
07-22-04, 10:07 PM
...Disco inferno....

Burn the motha down

Brickman
07-22-04, 10:23 PM

Ya know it's not winning that counts as much as getting your product in front of the public. Sure it's important to show winners and trophys but at what cost? They finance the whole series and get nothing but declining ratings and empty stands, I would say it's time to look long term than get the trophy and 2 page spread in USA Today. Long term investments always get better returns.

Wally
07-22-04, 11:02 PM
Luv this place..... :D

Madmaxfan2
07-23-04, 10:26 AM
That BMW rumor is a fookin joke to see if marxie will bite and report it.

Use some common sense folks.
IT roped me in at CCW. Even experienced posters get fooled. IT caught a lot of people though. :)

anait
07-23-04, 12:54 PM
...Disco inferno....

:saywhat: Oh, for... :rofl: K, I give up. Breaking out the dancing shoes and polyester in prep for RaceChic's predicted mother of all parties !! :thumbup: