PDA

View Full Version : Road America. The time has come...

Warlock!
07-20-04, 08:29 AM
Who's goin'?

When?

Where're ya stayin?

You're bringing extra beer, right?

Me, getting there Friday afternoon, camping in the infield at turn two with 30 of my closest friends, and yes, we'll have beer, not to mention BEER. ;)

Warlock!

chop456
07-20-04, 08:32 AM
Maybe.

rocket
07-20-04, 09:05 AM
I'm convinced...see ya there. :D

KLang
07-20-04, 09:19 AM
Be there Thursday through Monday. Staying at the Baymont in Sheboygan.

We don't normally haul in our own beer but do bring Bloody Marys in the mornings.

Can't wait. :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
07-20-04, 09:48 AM
Monkey and Me and some dood from Norway are arriving Thursday around lunchtime... we are 3 of Warlock's 30 friends... camping in 2. I am bringing my cooler, Franz Botha... he swallows cases whole.

The wife will arrive on Friday night in the support vehicle.

We rock. :thumbup:

Fitti Fan
07-20-04, 10:32 AM
BMEP and I are there. Planning to come up Friday night. Don't have a place to stay yet so some ideas would be nice. Our first time to this track so give us some pointers.

Still waiting for that beer Warlock! :)

Warlock!
07-20-04, 10:56 AM
...we are 3 of Warlock's 30 friends...
I never said that... :confused: Your wife, on the other hand... :D

:runsfromSeafoamGreenVespa:

Still waiting for that beer Warlock!
Me too! Wasn't the groom's family supposed to buy the booze for receptions?

Otherwise, see: infield, Turn 2

Warlock!

chop456
07-20-04, 10:58 AM
Our first time to this track so give us some pointers.

Bring a motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, or rent a golf cart. The place is big. 575 acres big.

Dirty Sanchez
07-20-04, 11:00 AM
Also... don't be a sally wusswagon. Camp!

KLang
07-20-04, 11:03 AM
Also... don't be a sally wusswagon. Camp!

At this point I expect it will be real tough getting a room anywhere close.

Lizzerd
07-20-04, 12:10 PM
Count me as one of the 30 in turn 2.

JoeBob
07-20-04, 01:28 PM
I have a room (actually a 2 room suite, IIRC) in Fond Du Lac that I may not be using. Haven't decided if I'm going to make the trip this year, but if I'm not, I'll see if I can transfer the reservation.

Not far from the track, and you might get to run into this guy in town: http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/local_16969524.shtml

Railbird
07-20-04, 08:14 PM
Fri thru Sun

Well furnished crackhouse in Fondu

Although I do it two or three times a year, I always feel stupid hauling beer to Wisconsin.

SteveH
07-20-04, 09:07 PM
Will be there with the somewhat infamous Michael Delaney. Camping at Ken & Ev's - across from the farm house entrance.

ncmlj
07-20-04, 10:34 PM
I will be there all 4 days, staying at home, family members are camping turn 14. After this last weekend with the vintage cars at RA I feel like I was just to a ChampCar race, there were plenty of older Cart cars there. And the Shell Cart car of Herta,s beat the 93 Ferrari of a local guy. The race actuall started out with about 4 cart cars and 4 F1 cars in the 1st few rows and by the time they came around Cart cars were 1,2,3,4 I was surprized but, most the Cart cars died before the end of the race.

Purple Panic
07-21-04, 11:37 AM
We be campin'. Four days. Who knows where, but everybody knows Jen (REORacer), so just find her. :)

race chica
07-23-04, 02:54 PM
BMEP and I are there. Planning to come up Friday night. Don't have a place to stay yet so some ideas would be nice. Our first time to this track so give us some pointers.

Still waiting for that beer Warlock! :)

Welcome to your first race at Road America! This being my home track and place of employment i know the area well. There are lots of places to stay including a new Baymont Inn in Plymouth, camping on the grounds (of course), places in Sheboygan and Sheboygan Falls. If you plan on spending most of your time at the track there is also the option of renting a dorm room at the near by Lakeland College (www.lakeland.edu) for $10 a night.

If anyone at all has any questions about the track, the things to do in that area, and anything else just send me an email at abett141@uwsp.edu . It might take me a while to respond as i dont have internet at my house this summer.

Oh- and I will be there all weekend starting on thursday at 7am through a few hours after the last cars get off the track on sunday. Sometimes I think of just getting a camp site for this weekend... :)

Steve99
07-23-04, 04:25 PM
I'll be there, for my first trip to RA. Arriving Thursday night and leaving Monday morning. Staying at a hotel in Sheboygan. That dorm thing sounds cool, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Going out tomorrow to buy a bike.

RaceChic
07-23-04, 04:43 PM
Count me as one of the 30 in turn 2.

Ditto. :D

But, I may be staying at Plymouth Rock. :gomer:

Party and provisions will be located in Turn 2. ;)

I'll get in sometime late Thursday afternoon/evening.

A Chic and a chica. :saywhat:

Lizzerd
07-23-04, 04:51 PM
Wooo Hooo!!!

I was hoping you were gonna be there! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
07-23-04, 07:06 PM
Flying in, two boys in tow, Thursday afternoon.

Camping in the carousal

Moteling Sunday night

Flying out Monday

Working Tuesday, then Wed-Mon camping at Watkins Glen (off the track)

Psyched :D

TRDfan
07-24-04, 12:04 AM
Looks like a Sunday only trip for me. Conflict with my HS reunion, but I can't miss the race for the second year in a row.

Probably hitting the road at 6 am Sunday, gettin to the track around 9:30.

Once again I'll be by myself, but I'm sure I'll run into many of you fine folk.

Lizzerd
07-24-04, 12:22 AM
...but I'm sure I'll run into many of you fine folk.

You damn right you will!

Phantom
07-25-04, 01:00 PM
Flying the family in on Thursday. Will be there everyday. Staying with in-laws in Appleton (I keep trying to convince my wife I maried her for "other reasons" but somehow I don't think she beleive me) :)

Forza Lancia
07-26-04, 11:22 AM
"Silverwheel" and I will be there on the last leg of our Cleveland - Chicago - Green Bay - Oskaloosa - Road America- Chicago -Cleveland driving trip to visit friends and relatives. We're staying in Fond du Lac on Saturday night, and we'll be at the circuit on Saturday and Sunday (in our new Audi A4!).

BNica
07-26-04, 11:32 PM
Who's goin'?

When?

Where're ya stayin?

You're bringing extra beer, right?

Me, getting there Friday afternoon, camping in the infield at turn two with 30 of my closest friends, and yes, we'll have beer, not to mention BEER. ;)

Warlock!

I should be there on Friday and camp with you hooligans

Hink
07-27-04, 01:59 AM
I'll be there Friday through Sunday and will stop by turn 2 with beer this time.

Dirty Sanchez
07-27-04, 09:28 AM
I'll be there Friday through Sunday and will stop by turn 2 with beer this time.Word.

I'll be holding. ;)

XFT
07-27-04, 09:42 AM
I'm there Friday-Sunday and then partying it up in Milwaukee a few days after :D

Tim
07-27-04, 12:22 PM
Since I have no place to stay I'll be up for 1 or 2 days. I'll stop by turn 2 at some point over the weekend.

chop456
07-27-04, 12:33 PM
Since I have no place to stay I'll be up for 1 or 2 days. I'll stop by turn 2 at some point over the weekend.

Camp, Sally.

G.
07-27-04, 02:01 PM
Sunday only with 6 yr old. Hope to meet up with some of you. Will bring beer.

Spicoli
07-27-04, 05:42 PM
I'm there Friday-Sunday and then partying it up in Milwaukee a few days after :D

Camp, Sally. :cry:

Besides, you're too young to get into a bar anyway. Maybe you and Sklenka can get some air hockey and pork rinds in at the Motel 6. :gomer:

girlsRfast2
07-28-04, 06:45 PM
Dear Husband and I will be there, and we're bringing friends. Beer? Goes without saying.

Unlike some of you golf-cart-driving lightweights, we walk.

Tim
07-28-04, 09:32 PM
I aint got no tent man. You never know though I missed sat/sun last year and it killed me. I don't want that to happen again.

JT265
07-28-04, 10:08 PM
Dear Husband and I will be there, and we're bringing friends. Beer? Goes without saying.

Unlike some of you golf-cart-driving lightweights, we walk.

For your sake, I sure hope you live close by.

:D

BNica
07-31-04, 12:16 AM
I aint got no tent man. You never know though I missed sat/sun last year and it killed me. I don't want that to happen again.

Its called going to Target or Wal-Mart
:gomer:

Those things are not expensive

Amanda B.'s Mom
07-31-04, 12:23 AM
Fri, Sat, Sun, for me, but working. In case I can get away for a while, I will try to catch up with some of you.

anyone participating in the bike event for the Lance Armstrong Foundation? That should be great!

and, yes, Rahalnut. Tents are not that expensive. Neither is your relatives house in Falls, if they still live there.

Sean O'Gorman
07-31-04, 12:28 AM

Its called going to Target or Wal-Mart
:gomer:

Those things are not expensive

and, yes, Rahalnut. Tents are not that expensive. Neither is your relatives house in Falls, if they still live there.

Its not the tent thats expensive for Rahalnut, its the cost of beer! :gomer:

Just suck it up and camp you wussy. Even I did it, and I'm the biggest city boy I've met from 7G/OC.

Heres a cool one:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000206G9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You could be the biggest pimp at the track with that thing! It even has a basketball hoop!

Tim
07-31-04, 01:04 PM
How much does it actually cost to camp? I checked the RA and it had zeros next to the camping part. Is it really free? Can I just show up or do you have to register beforehand?

Spicoli
07-31-04, 01:26 PM
How much does it actually cost to camp? I checked the RA and it had zeros next to the camping part. Is it really free? Can I just show up or do you have to register beforehand?

everything is free next weekend. Tell them you are Roger Penske.

Tim
07-31-04, 02:28 PM
I don't have wrinkles or liverspots so I doubt that would work. :D

Ratattack
07-31-04, 02:51 PM
I will be there with Ms Rat Thurs PM sometime. At track Fri AM first thing. Turn 2 and 5 and alot of walking... :D

No beer just alot of Bacardi...Have beer and wine though for the Warlock camp site..except spicoli.. :rofl: :rofl:

tantra
08-01-04, 09:51 PM
Even after reading the list of wild party people who will be camping inside turn two, I'm still determined to be there Thursday p.m.

Warlock!, I may be able to find an extra beer for you....and you too Lizzerd.

tantra
08-01-04, 09:52 PM
Camping cost: $75.00

Andrew Longman
08-02-04, 01:15 PM
Camping cost: $75.00

One fee, Thurs-Sat night

RTKar
08-02-04, 07:49 PM
Not sure if I'll be making it, sounds like this will be the last RA Champcar race. :thumdown: I was thinking about something the series or track should have done the last few years.... a discount for bringing a friend(s) if you owned a season pass. I have (or had), potentially 3 people that have never been to a race, let alone RA interested in going but they think it's too expensive for something they don't know very much about. Last year I talked to someone from the track who mentioned they feel that people bringing newbies is the best way for people to be introduced (or hear about) RA. Especially since the product has been diluted the last few years, maybe this could have helped the crowd size and we wouldn't be sitting here facing the possibilty of this year being the last for Champcars at RA.

Ratattack
08-02-04, 09:23 PM
From what I heard, you get 5 people in on 1 pass for camping

Spicoli
08-03-04, 12:00 AM
From what I heard, you get 5 people in on 1 pass for camping

:thumbup:

KaBoom21
08-03-04, 12:23 PM
Doubt I wll be there this year.

The Bounce fix will be missed.

sbpack31
08-04-04, 02:40 AM
Followed the Forsythe hauler north out of milwaukee on 43 today. I got goosebumps the size of goose eggs. Not sure what day my son and I are going yet. Either Friday or Saturday. Headed to R.A. from my home in Hartland Wisconsin. :thumbup:

chop456
08-04-04, 02:46 AM
Doubt I wll be there this year.

The Bounce fix will be missed.

You AND RTKar?

What's this world coming to? :cry:

Get there! :mad:

Spicoli
08-04-04, 06:39 AM
I'm going, but will not be drinking.

chop456
08-04-04, 06:41 AM
I'm going, but will not be drinking.

I think you got that backwards.

Spicoli
08-04-04, 06:45 PM
I think you got that backwards.

Nope - sideways.

I'm going and drinking. :gomer:

RTKar
08-04-04, 10:09 PM
Season pass in hand...nice hotel in Plymouth...yes a hotel...AC, flush toilet, no skeeters (but no camp fire :thumdown: ) ......camping is for fishing trips.

Spicoli
08-04-04, 10:45 PM
Season pass in hand...Can't wait til the gates open at Sparta! Woooohooo - Let's go K-Y! ....

I always knew I liked you.

:eek:

RTKar
08-04-04, 10:57 PM
I always knew I liked you.

:eek:

Do they have bratwurst and beer in Sparta?

ncmlj
08-04-04, 11:15 PM
Season pass in hand...nice hotel in Plymouth...yes a hotel...AC, flush toilet, no skeeters (but no camp fire :thumdown: ) ......camping is for fishing trips.

I was wondering what "Not sure if I will be making it" ment, glad to see you will be making the trip. Stop by turn 14 by the Rv's Ill be there and I have a miller Lite for you :D Sounds like the weather is on our side this year :thumbup:

Cam
08-05-04, 12:21 AM
So what is the forecast for the weekend? Bueller? Anyone? Do I pack Carhards, raingear? :gomer:

race chica
08-05-04, 12:56 AM
So what is the forecast for the weekend? Bueller? Anyone? Do I pack Carhards, raingear? :gomer:

here is the most recient update:

Thursday
Mostly sunny. Highs around 70. North winds 10 to 20 mph.
Detail
Thursday Night
Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Turning cooler near Lake Michigan. Northwest winds around 10 mph shifting to the northeast.
Detail
Friday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Saturday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s.
Detail
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.

Sunday
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s.

Sunday Night
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s.

It's kinda chilly outside right now so if you are camping i suggest a warmer sleeping bag or the adult beverage of your choice to stay warm after the sun goes down and the stars come up.

Railbird
08-05-04, 12:59 AM
Weather (http://www.weather.com/outlook/sports/local/USWI0218?from=search_city)

I'm bringing everything from my carharts to my weather-proof thong.

One can never tell

Lizzerd
08-05-04, 01:05 AM
Always be prepared. Never go without a rain coat/poncho/whatever and ALWAYS bring waterproof shoes or boots. I hate squishy sneakers. Makes my feet stink (worse). Remember, much of your walkng is gonna be on grass or on a path through the woods. And we will be in WI. Turn your head or sneeze and you just missed the last weather event.

Spicoli
08-05-04, 07:30 AM
Leaving in about an hour.

Safe trip everyone. :drinkupladies:

KLang
08-05-04, 08:15 AM
Always be prepared. Never go without a rain coat/poncho/whatever and ALWAYS bring waterproof shoes or boots. I hate squishy sneakers. Makes my feet stink (worse). Remember, much of your walkng is gonna be on grass or on a path through the woods. And we will be in WI. Turn your head or sneeze and you just missed the last weather event.

I've always thought squishy sneakers were just part of the RA experience. :gomer: I've got a couple cheapo plastic panchos that fit in my scanner bag. Never go without them.

Flight leaves in a couple hours. :thumbup:
Edit: Assuming I can fit my wifes shoes in our suitcase. One weekend, why on earth does a women need four pair of shoes. :confused:

RTKar
08-05-04, 08:27 AM
I was wondering what "Not sure if I will be making it" ment, glad to see you will be making the trip. Stop by turn 14 by the Rv's Ill be there and I have a miller Lite for you :D Sounds like the weather is on our side this year :thumbup:

Thanks.... just family situation stuff. It's been one of those kind of years, too many things going on at once. Hope to see ya there.

Rick

J 5
08-06-04, 12:05 PM
leaving now. camping in turn 2 with the Miss J 5 see ya there :D

Ankf00
08-06-04, 02:30 PM
*ahem*

y'all suck

that is all. carry on.

drink beer, watch turbos.

Railbird
08-07-04, 11:33 PM
drink beer, watch turbos.

mission accomplished.

more of the same tomorrow.

RTKar
08-08-04, 09:47 PM

Tried stopping by a couple times where I thought your set up would be so I could say Hi, didn't see anyone familiar..... If you saw a green Expedition with flat lander plates cruise by that was me... I wasn't casing the joint like some FIB hoodlum. Maybe ALMS.....

Railbird
08-08-04, 11:54 PM
I saw you today RT, I was sitting in the stands outside of T5 when you went hustling by camera in hand. Looked like you were on a mission so I didn't try to shout over the engines.

RTKar
08-09-04, 12:22 AM
I saw you today RT, I was sitting in the stands outside of T5 when you went hustling by camera in hand. Looked like you were on a mission so I didn't try to shout over the engines.

Oh, bummer. Can't believe I missed you in the stands, they weren't that packed. I spent the whole race their. I was looking around for folks throughout the weekend, socialized with quite a few. Like all race weekends they end too soon to do everything you want to do. SteveH mentioned the possibility of your showing up for dinner Saturday night, which he graciously invited me to. Wished you could have made it.

BTW bird...the Sheboygan County fairgrounds in Plymouth was running a show Saturday night...saw some winged sprints as I drove by, Stockers too I think. I guess they run every Saturday night....maybe next year :gomer:

Railbird
08-09-04, 02:08 AM
First let me thank Steve for the invite.

I spent some time Friday sitting at the bar at Siebkins and thought I'd better be a little closer to my room Saturday, so I headed for my room in Fon du Lac after the track action ended. Grabbed an arm load of newspapers and walked to a close by restaraunt to try to catch up on the real world while washing down some pasta with just a couple more beers

Yeah I know, I'm old.

KLang
08-09-04, 08:49 AM
We drove the cart through the T2 camping area a few times but I didn't see anything identifing the offcamber group. Stopped and asked the YKDS (?) group but they said they didn't know. Maybe next time.

Cam
08-09-04, 09:53 AM
We drove the cart through the T2 camping area a few times but I didn't see anything identifing the offcamber group. Stopped and asked the YKDS (?) group but they said they didn't know. Maybe next time.

That's YFDS..... That's where we all were..... :)

Dirty Sanchez
08-09-04, 10:00 AM
Word. We oVVned turn 2 this weekend.

Opposite Lock
08-09-04, 12:28 PM
You certainly did. I stopped by and met a few more people, including Staggers and the mythical "Dirty Sanchez":), after the Champ Car race, and it looked like the aftermath of Woodstock. Then I had to pull a quick evac to protect my bike from what appeared to be a spontaneous freeform game of dodgeball played with a traffic cone. Heard I missed the version with the bananas. Note to self - stop by the YFDS camp earlier in the day next time.

Spicoli
08-09-04, 08:11 PM
Then I had to pull a quick evac to protect my bike from what appeared to be a spontaneous freeform game of dodgeball played with a traffic cone. Heard I missed the version with the bananas. Note to self - stop by the YFDS camp earlier in the day next time.

Uh, that was me and Natty. We were aiming for Dirty Sanchez's pimpmobile, but then figured it was more fun to just scare eveybody. Who says racing isn't a contact sport? :gomer:

The liver is evil and must be punished.

And yes, we rocked RA. :thumbup: