PDA

View Full Version : Montreal

Rogue Leader
07-19-04, 11:11 PM
I know its WAY in advance (Aug 29th) Champ Car Montreal is coming. I have actually never been to a Champ Car race, and this event seems like the easiest for me to get to.

So anyway any reccomendations, on hotels, airport, etc. People meeting up there? what day should I go? I just have to scam someone into going with me now too.

Ankf00
07-20-04, 01:27 PM
I know its WAY in advance (Aug 29th) Champ Car Montreal is coming. I have actually never been to a Champ Car race, and this event seems like the easiest for me to get to.

So anyway any reccomendations, on hotels, airport, etc. People meeting up there? what day should I go? I just have to scam someone into going with me now too.
It was my first, and it ruled. If you're flying in from the US, you're flying into Dorval, bout 20 min drive from downtown. Dorval used to suck balls but some major renovations are making the place nicer, quite a long walk though... T

he Parc Jean Drapeau is the island w/ the track which is off the south shore of the Montreal, right across from the historic old port, very pretty, very euro.

I suggest staying at a hostel, hotels are too bloody expensive during a raceweekend unless you have a car and can get a hotel on the outskirts of town. Also if you do that, guard/hide your belongings and make sure the door is locked at night!

You can buy a metro pass and ride the subway to the track. For me, All day Thursday's a nice chill day, screw around and visit and sneak into the track, and then go out after you're done.

there's the sweetest cozy pub on a backalley off of st elizabeth, 50 yards north of st katherine, st elizabeth's 1 or 2 blocks west of st denis along st katherine... grab a pint and head to the terrace in the back !

Rogue Leader
08-03-04, 07:02 PM
found some cheap deals on expedia.com .... there was no airport mentioned named Dorval though????

I think I may be taking my dad with me.

devilmaster
08-03-04, 08:02 PM
Dorval was renamed to The Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport.

The other airport in Montreal is Mirabel....

Dorval/PET handles passenger traffic while Mirabel handles mostly cargo and some charter aircraft....

Steve

Rogue Leader
08-08-04, 11:30 AM
Ok I got my tickets and pit passes.

Zanardi Grandstand Section 6 Row 14 Seats 16 & 17 for me and my dad.

Im coming into montreal at about 10 AM friday, and my flight home is 630 pm sunday. And I'm staying at the Ramada hotel -Montreal, which I think is near the airport. We got ourselves a rental hoopty too. Id definitely like to meet up with some people there if anyones going.

reynard2ki
08-09-04, 12:33 PM
Man, you made a huge mistake getting a hotel near the airport. If you'd have gotten a hotel downtown, you wouldn't need to rent a car, just take a cab from the airport to the hotel when you get to town and a cab back to the airport at the end of the weekend. Once in town, all you need is the subway all weekend. Plus, you're close to all the street parties if you're downtown. There's nothing to do near the airport.

Rogue Leader
08-09-04, 06:54 PM
Man, you made a huge mistake getting a hotel near the airport. If you'd have gotten a hotel downtown, you wouldn't need to rent a car, just take a cab from the airport to the hotel when you get to town and a cab back to the airport at the end of the weekend. Once in town, all you need is the subway all weekend. Plus, you're close to all the street parties if you're downtown. There's nothing to do near the airport.

Well the airport hotels were WAY cheaper, and the rental car is real cheap too, plus my flight is at 6:30 so i need a place to stash our bags etc during the race sunday (have to check out of the hotel first). The woman from Molson told me that its like $5 to park the car for the day, plus I'll be with my dad hes not the huge party type either, although I'll see what I can get him to do lol.

Wingnut
08-19-04, 11:59 AM
We will be at Montreal! Not sure where we're staying yet (hoping for a steal on Hotwire, no suck luck yet) and we'll probably be sitting in the bronze grandstand inside the hairpin. Sat there last year and LOVED it. :)

FTG and the Fonda he rode in on....

Christine

Rogue Leader
08-19-04, 06:48 PM
I wonder if my cellphone will work in canada... if so if anyone wants to meet up there I'd love to...

Playersfan
08-19-04, 11:17 PM
We will be at Montreal! Not sure where we're staying yet (hoping for a steal on Hotwire, no suck luck yet) and we'll probably be sitting in the bronze grandstand inside the hairpin. Sat there last year and LOVED it. :)

FTG and the Fonda he rode in on....

Christine
the problem with hot wire is that you don't know were you are staying until you pay up.I don't know what you call a good deal in Montreal but for me The Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal is an excellent deal.For $129 Canadian you get a room on a hotel that seats atop the main subway hob,from here you can go anywhere and you are one stop from the track and two blocks from St.Dennis St were they close the street for a champcar week-end party that really rooks or three subway stops from Crescent St.were the big F1 party is held which also is closed for a champcar street party.Link http://www.gouverneur.com/english/placedupuis/home.html

Have fun Playersfan :) :cool:
PS.Got my reservation with Expedia.ca

Wingnut
08-20-04, 09:32 AM
We used Hotwire last year and got the Wyndham--it was great. This time everything on Hotwire was too $$$, so I went to Priceline and got the Marriott Chateau Champlain for USD $85/night. It's right at a metro stop, too, so I'm a happy, happy camper.

BRING IT ON!!!

Christine

P.s. FTG

JT265
08-20-04, 02:43 PM
I wonder if my cellphone will work in canada... if so if anyone wants to meet up there I'd love to...

You might wanna buy a thermal warmer for it, considering the average temp will be in the teens.

>This IS Canada you know<

:laugh:

Jay
08-26-04, 01:38 PM
lol...forcast is for temperatures in the high 20s... but bring an umbrella just in case.

I know this is last minute, but...

Yes, your cell phone will likely work... depends on whether your provider has a deal with one of the local ones here. If it's one of teh big ones, it will. Everyone involved in the sport has a cell phone and racks up big bills here - but, they do work.

Renting a car for this race is a bad idea. It's much easier (and cheaper) to get around on public transit. Plus, unless you have a workers or media pass, getting to the track is best done on the metro.

There are still plenty of decent well-located hotel rooms available, with rates ranging from about $90 and up. The Auberge de Juenesse on McKay St. is the best youth hostel - though you have to be a member. It's a good place, I've stayed there before - plus, they have good cooking facilities.

Enjoy the race! This is my favorite!