PDA

View Full Version : Green, Andretti, Kirby, Kniefel, Dominguez, & the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll

rabbit
02-12-03, 03:01 AM
Sorry to drag out this dead horse, but now that we have a new look (thanks to Gordon Kirby) on what was actually being said and done in the CART paddock in 2002 (in particular by Kim Green and Michael Andretti), did Chris Kniefel, or someone in authority over him, giftwrap Mario Dominguez's "win" at Australia?;)

"Conspiracy theorists, start your engines!"

devilmaster
02-12-03, 05:06 AM
No offense rabbit, but its old news, they're gone, new teams and drivers in their place, lets look forward to this season.

A week and a half to go!

Steve

pchall
02-12-03, 10:40 AM
I thought The Lone Gunmen were dead or at least cancelled on Fox. ;)

turn1
02-12-03, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Sorry to drag out this dead horse, but now that we have a new look (thanks to Gordon Kirby) on what was actually being said and done in the CART paddock in 2002 (in particular by Kim Green and Michael Andretti), did Chris Kniefel, or someone in authority over him, giftwrap Mario Dominguez's "win" at Australia?;)

"Conspiracy theorists, start your engines!"

Dude! Too much time on your hands in Lima?

rabbit
02-12-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
No offense rabbit, but its old news, they're gone, new teams and drivers in their place, lets look forward to this season.
None taken. I know it's old news. FWIW, I could care less if the fix was in. In fact, I would be disappointed if it wasn't. I am glad 2002 is behind us. I can't remember being as excited about a coming season as I am about 2K3.

I posed the question more tongue in cheek than anything, just to get a laugh.

MightySurfClam
02-12-03, 07:49 PM
Id hate to think it was politics. Ill just pretend it was the worst case of race officiating ive ever seen. They had two options, stop the race on 36 or stop it on 50. There was absolutely no reason to stop at any other lap.

nrc
02-12-03, 07:59 PM
Stopping on lap 50 would have violated the premise of the required pit stop rule, which was to prevent teams from winning simply by making fewer pit stops.

MightySurfClam
02-12-03, 08:06 PM
but wasnt 50 the original race distance?

nrc
02-12-03, 09:27 PM
My mistake, I meant lap 36. Once the intent for everyone to stop the same number of times was met there was no reason to proceed to lap 50, it wouldn't have affected the outcome and it may not have even been safely possible given the visibility and conditions.

MightySurfClam
02-12-03, 09:43 PM
Going into the race you know the race will stop at three possible points. Max distance (50) min distance (36) or any random point in the event of an act of <insert religious deity>

Now the race started wet and CART felt it got worse roundabout lap 10(?). Between lap 10 and lap 36 conditions didnt drasticaly change. Nor did the ybetween lap 10 and lap 44 and lap 36 and lap 44. Basically the conditions were constant. So if you dont feel theres a point to going to max distance, you stop at min distance. Nothing changed between min and max distance, so why the random selection of a lap?

However my recollection of the race results is that they were a tick over exactly 2 hours. I thought the 2 hour time rule was dead. However if its not (and i figured it was since it wasnt brought up once) it would make sense to say "hey we stopped at 2 hours and that was the first guy across the line"

I saw no reason to pick the lap they picked.

And if it had stopped at 36 Michael would have been the winner. Even N/H seemed to agree as Christian was on the same strategy. Saying he was one lap over is bogus because its no different from going to 50 laps and having Michael pit at 30.

What astounded me is sitting on my couch I seemed to have a better read on the rules interpretation than CART or the announcers did (or maybe the announcers were just being polite)

Railbird
02-12-03, 09:52 PM
QUICK!

somebady hand me a steeeck

Thars a dead horse beatin' commencin'