PDA

View Full Version : Herdez announces that will not invest in publicity for 2005"

Anteater
07-17-04, 02:02 PM
http://www.terra.com.mx/Cart/articulo/138230/

A friend sent me a link to this article in Spanish; unfortunately, my Spanish is pretty weak. What does this mean--that Herdez won't be giving away free samples at the track, or something worse? Can one of you Spanish speakers please clarify? :confused:

nrc
07-17-04, 02:35 PM
The obligatory babelfish translation:

it informs through an official notice to the BMV that like result of an analysis of the investments in the area of publicity and promotion, the Company solved not to participate like patrocinador [sponsor] of "Champ Car World Series", nor in no other event of motoring in next season 2005. The previous thing in spite of being suitable means to position marks and products in the international markets, explains the document. In agreement with the company, it leaves from the resources that will be freed of this sponsorship will be invested in other headings of publicity and promotion. HERDEZ is a company leader in the food market, with more than ninety years of experience. It makes and it commercializes products with the marks Herdez, McCormick, Buffalo, Doña Maria, Barilla, Yemina, Carlota, Solo and Yavaros, among others. Through their subsidiaries, HERDEZ counts on 9 plants and 8 centers of distribution.

Sounds like they're out of motorsports in 2005. It's a pity, the team is really making progress and they've got great looking cars. Hope the Herdez team can put something together.

Anteater
07-17-04, 03:50 PM
Thanks, nrc; when I ran a babelfish translation, there were all kinds of weird punctuation marks in the English version, to the point where it was easier for me to read the Spanish!

Anyway, this is very bad news on a day of more bad news (Portland)! :cry: What will become of Team Herdez? I think I'll stay off the Net for the rest of the day... :(

Sean O'Gorman
07-17-04, 04:35 PM
:(

This isn't good. I think it (along with the lack of replacement for Player's) are signs that Canada and Mexico aren't as strong as originally thought.

And to think, I found Herdez in the grocery store for the first time this week. I'll never buy it again though, it was the worst salsa I've ever had. Watery and even though it was labeled HOT, it was like other brands mild.

Rob
07-17-04, 04:46 PM
Forgive me for lighting a candle in a dark thread, but it was announced yesterday that Gevril Watches has just signed on as an associate sponsor for the team. Who knows, maybe they are already working on securing replacement funds for next year.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8045

JT265
07-17-04, 07:49 PM
:(

This isn't good. I think it (along with the lack of replacement for Player's) are signs that Canada and Mexico aren't as strong as originally thought.

No, it just means that Canadian companies by and large are cheap bastards. I know that Bombardier have naming rights for some cheap trick in Gomerland, (their US subsidiary to be exact), and Molson's and Labatt's have stepped up occasionally, but now consider that Bombardier's two most recognizable brands worldwide are Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo, and where are they?

Lizzerd
07-17-04, 11:18 PM
No, it just means that Canadian companies by and large are cheap bastards. I know that Bombardier have naming rights for some cheap trick in Gomerland, (their US subsidiary to be exact), and Molson's and Labatt's have stepped up occasionally, but now consider that Bombardier's two most recognizable brands worldwide are Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo, and where are they?

Getting off topic here, but that cheap trick in Gomerland that you speak of got Bombardier the entire top floor of the pagoda as their suite at IMS. I was in it. Don't know what it cost them, though.

Keeping a 15 - 20 year old tradition alive, I and a bunch of buddies meet every New Year's Day morning in the IMS museum parking lot. One of them has a long history of being the first to sign the guest register at the museum for the new year. Actually, this year, some Japanese guy with a camera wedged his way in front of him, so he was second. Good weather or bad, we hang around and grill something, usually corned beef, in a far corner of the parking lot.

Anyway, this year, a Yellow shirt lady in a Blazer came by a couple times to see what the heck we were doing. We explained, etc., and she soon came back to ask us if we wanted a tour of the Pagoda. Well... okay... We piled into the back of a pickup truck and followed her. She had all the magic keys to all the floors. We were in TG's suite, floor 9 of 10 as I recall, and it was the only one with beer in the fridge. We checked them all...

Okay, back on topic now...

Losing Herdez would be a serious blow to the team. Don't they own 50% of it or more?

And Sean, I agree with you about Herdez salsa. I tried it once, because I wanted to support a sponsor, and it was not good. Back to Chi-Chi's right away. Chunky, and HOT (for a Gringo), just the way I like it.

Rob
07-18-04, 09:21 AM
And Sean, I agree with you about Herdez salsa. I tried it once, because I wanted to support a sponsor, and it was not good. Back to Chi-Chi's right away. Chunky, and HOT (for a Gringo), just the way I like it.
Hey, you guys are supposed to wait until a sponsor is officially out of the series before trashing their product. That's how it works. ;)

Anteater
07-18-04, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Rob; I actually like Herdez salsa and will continue to buy it. And maybe we could be grateful that Herdez has been a faithful team sponsor for years instead of bagging on them for ceasing future sponsorship due to economic necessity. These are tough times all around! :(

mexican
07-18-04, 01:42 PM
a couple of big investors bought into the company and were not thrilled with the huge chunk of change that was being spent in CCWS, so that was that...... :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
07-18-04, 02:00 PM
Isn't Herdez owned by Hormel?

Anteater
07-18-04, 10:23 PM
On the bright side, at least Herdez didn't desert CCWS for the I*L.

Chitowncartfreak
07-18-04, 10:32 PM
Isn't Herdez owned by Hormel?

you are correct - it is part of Hormel.

Willam
07-18-04, 10:57 PM
As far as the rumour mill goes in Mexico, there's a battle for control of Herdez between Enrique Hernandez Pons and his brother (his name escapes me right now, but he's the new director of Herdez). Enrique Hernandez has supported motorsports for over 10 years in Mexico and the US, but his brother has decided that the sponsorship effort should be led towards golf and bringing a PGA event to Mexico. :confused:

TravelGal
07-19-04, 08:27 PM
When I first read this last night, I was so depressed and I went off and ate TWO packages of Newmans popcorn (with a little help from my friends, I'll admit).

PGA? Ugh!

Rogue Leader
07-19-04, 08:35 PM
When I first read this last night, I was so depressed and I went off and ate TWO packages of Newmans popcorn (with a little help from my friends, I'll admit).

PGA? Ugh!

The supermarket here just started to stock "Newmans Own" Lemonade. It is some of the best stuff I have ever tasted we downed the whole carton in 1/2 a day.

I actually do make it a point to buy Newmans products to support paul and especially his charities.