PDA

View Full Version : Advice on junking a car?

L1P1
07-16-04, 06:23 PM
Well, 10 years, 120K miles - the last two miles with the temperature light on, equaled the demise of three of my Cherokee's six cylinders. Putting in a no-guarantee junkyard engine will cost $200 less than the car is worth. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put it out of my misery and send it to the junkyard.

So how does one do this? I mean, yeah, it's easy to have it towed over there, but presumably, some junkyards might give me more money than others (it's got at least some stuff people may want). It'd be impractical to tow it from place to place. Do I have to depend on the mercy of the first place I take it to?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Dr. Corkski
07-16-04, 06:46 PM
Let Rodolfo Lavin try to make a right turn with it?

Sean O'Gorman
07-16-04, 07:59 PM
Find a Jeep forum, and place an ad saying you are parting it out.

Tall1
07-16-04, 08:35 PM
If you can itemize on ur income taxes, consider donating the vehicle to a charitable organization, i.e., Kidney Foundation, Volunteers of America. I've done this in the past and proved to be a TERRIFIC write-off on April 15, and you have the satisfaction of helping(?) someone less fortunate.

Methanolandbrats
07-16-04, 09:08 PM
The best way to do it is to hire a blaster and have a party. I was invited to the funeral for a Toyota. They parked it on a ridge and the blaster wired it up with a case of dynamite. Then we got really drunk. When the time was right they had a countdown and lit it. The tub jumped at least 100 feet in the air doing lazy flips. The hood, doors and trunk fluttered down like leaves from a much higher elevation. One of the coolest and LOUDEST things I have ever seen :thumbup: If logistics rule that out the donation to charity is the next best thing.

Railbird
07-16-04, 09:10 PM
Tall1 has the best idea.

I was getting ready to tell you that you can just call diiferent scrapyards and tell them what you have, they'll usually give you a ballpark figure and send somebody out.

But, by the time they deduct the tow and whatever local charges come into play you would be better off going the charity route.

Or you can take it out in a field, light it off and use it for drunken shotgun target practice.

I have used two of the three methods mentioned above in my lifetime.

Rob
07-16-04, 10:46 PM
Hang onto it until someone decides to hold an SUV demolition derby. Then have all the fun you can handle.

nrc
07-16-04, 11:06 PM
Most charities that accept cars require that they be in running condition.

RacinM3
07-17-04, 12:28 AM
Ebay the whole thing for parts. Note local pickup only in your auction. If the ebay auction closes for less than the junkyards offer, close the auction early and send it to the crusher. Take video of it being crushed and post it here. ;)

JoeBob
07-17-04, 12:32 AM
I knew somebody that wanted to get rid of a car, and just left it parked on the street before a snow storm. Because it was where it shouldn't be during a snow storm, the city towed it. He never went to claim it, so that was the last he saw of it. He didn't get anything for it - but it didn't cost him anything to get rid of it either.