PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car unification statement

The Doctor
07-16-04, 12:23 PM
CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES RELEASES STATEMENT ON OPEN-WHEEL UNIFICATION TALKS

INDIANAPOLIS (July 16, 2004) – What follows is a statement released today by the Champ Car World Series concerning the recent discussions between Champ Car ownership and Indy Racing League representatives concerning the unification of the two major open-wheel racing series in the United States. This release constitutes the final statements to be made by Champ Car concerning this matter.

Following on the initiative of Roger Penske to explore a unification of open wheel racing, ownership representatives of Champ Car World Series and Indy Racing League have met with Mr. Penske to consider the issues. While the ownership representatives of both series agree that one open wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification. Both parties appreciate the efforts of Mr. Penske, and both parties believe that each has a better understanding of where common ground exists. No more meetings are planned and both series are moving forward with their future plans.

JoeBob
07-16-04, 12:27 PM
IMS released an identical statement.

stymie
07-16-04, 12:28 PM
The IRL released a very similar statement:

By indyracing.com Staff
indyracing.com

Friday Jul 16, 2004

Following on the initiative of Roger Penske to explore a unification of open-wheel racing, ownership representatives of Champ Car World Series and the Indy Racing League have met with Mr. Penske to consider the issues.

While ownership representatives from both series agree that one open-wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification.

Both parties appreciate the efforts of Mr. Penske, and both parties believe that each has a better understanding of where common ground exists. No more meetings are planned and both series are moving forward with their future plans.

Linkhere (http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=3196)
At least they agree on this.

Railbird
07-16-04, 12:30 PM
Good deal

no bastarized schedule

no ****boxes

no TG

Now get of the snide and start promoting

JoeBob
07-16-04, 01:05 PM
Something to think about is this chain of events:

1. ChampCar meets with Penske
2. IMS meets with Penske
3. ChampCar and IMS issue joint statement saying, "Roger, Thanks but no thanks."

#3 could not have happened unless ChampCar and IMS actually had a discussion following their meetings with Penske.

jonovision_man
07-16-04, 01:16 PM
Something to think about is this chain of events:

1. ChampCar meets with Penske
2. IMS meets with Penske
3. ChampCar and IMS issue joint statement saying, "Roger, Thanks but no thanks."

#3 could not have happened unless ChampCar and IMS actually had a discussion following their meetings with Penske.

I'm a bit surprised there were talks already, although it's not clear who (if anyone) actually met. Hopefully actual details will come out.

If the OWRS guys and TG could have come to an agreement, chances are the result would have been a series well worth following, given that neither series has the upper hand right now. It's a much different situation than a few months ago when CART was on the brink - it could have been a merger of equals.

But I guess neither side (presumably) was willing to give up as much as it would have taken to meet half way.

jono

SAdair
07-16-04, 01:25 PM
Well they did agree on something....the wording of the press release.

Gotta take the baby steps before you can start racing.

pferrf1
07-16-04, 01:28 PM
I think both sides know that with the merger issue hanging over their heads, they would be unable to attract sponsors, etc to each series without dealing with it.

This way, both sides can move forward with business deals on the two series basis. No questions.

jonovision_man
07-16-04, 01:31 PM
I think both sides know that with the merger issue hanging over their heads, they would be unable to attract sponsors, etc to each series without dealing with it.

This way, both sides can move forward with business deals on the two series basis. No questions.

Think Penske will be shot down that easily? :laugh:

This hasn't gone away with a couple of press releases IMO, we're going to be hearing about mergers more and more IMO.

Hard Driver
07-16-04, 01:43 PM
I think Penske was the only one really interested to begin with. And they both said, no thanks.

pferrf1
07-16-04, 01:48 PM
Think Penske will be shot down that easily? :laugh:

This hasn't gone away with a couple of press releases IMO, we're going to be hearing about mergers more and more IMO.

Maybe.

But its mid-July. If anything is going to happen it will be in '06. Right now, both sides need to be busy schmoozing and securing deals for '05...not answering questions about pie-in-the-sky mergers. This release, by BOTH sides will help them get on to business for '05.

..... another by-product could be to let them have merger talks inthe background, rather than publicly. ;)

jonovision_man
07-16-04, 02:04 PM
Maybe.

But its mid-July. If anything is going to happen it will be in '06. Right now, both sides need to be busy schmoozing and securing deals for '05...not answering questions about pie-in-the-sky mergers. This release, by BOTH sides will help them get on to business for '05.

..... another by-product could be to let them have merger talks inthe background, rather than publicly. ;)

Yes :) That's the only way to do this kind of deal. The media has a way of poking at the hot-button things that keep folks apart, but when you sit down with people face-to-face it's often easier to focus on the common ground.

(I saw this somewhat first hand with a political party in Canada that "split", had many ugly years with a lot of bad blood, then merged in a matter of months after some closed-door negotiations)

GOFAST1
07-16-04, 02:30 PM
Good. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

nrc
07-16-04, 02:45 PM
"We just realized that this unification talk is interfering with our ability to complete our schedule and secure sponsors."

Madmaxfan2
07-16-04, 03:37 PM
There was no serious talk of unification this time anyway. Remember the 100 "crtical" hours statement. Like I said in earlier posts, the only decisions Penske really have to make are:
1. Stay in the IRL
2. Change to Champ Car
3. Get out of open wheel racing and concentrate on NASCAR Nextel Cup only. This unification statement merely confirms the lack of action shown. Unification has been tabled and most likey will die. The two sides have been apart for 8 years now. Time to move on, and forget about the INDY 500.

mueber
07-16-04, 03:39 PM
Make Champ Car into a series lots of paying customers want to see; the rest will take care of itself.

Railbird
07-16-04, 04:31 PM
Make Champ Car into a series lots of paying customers want to see; the rest will take care of itself.

Thank you

JoeBob
07-16-04, 04:43 PM
Interesting article from the IBJ. http://216.37.14.233/newdaily/html/daily_story071604.html

Champ Car, IRL acknowledge discussions took place
By Brent Adams
IBJ Reporter

Officials with the Champ Car World Series and the Indy Racing League today acknowledged they engaged in reunification talks following the recent urging of Roger Penske, who helped create Champ-Car forerunner CART in 1978 but currently owns a two-car team in the IRL.

However, both sides said the talks have not produced any results and no further talks are planned.

A source close to the discussions, who declined to be identified, said Champ Car principals Gerald Forsythe, Kevin Kalkhoven and Paul Gentilozzi met with Roger Penske in Indianapolis about three weeks ago. They then had subsequent meetings with IRL attorneys.

Both parties said the talks, which reportedly did not directly involve IRL President Tony George or Senior Vice President of Racing Operations Brian Barnhart, did help the parties better understand each other's mission.

"While ownership representatives from both series agree that one open wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification," the parties said in a joint statement.

"There continues to be an open door and if there was enough interest to have these talks, then obviously both parties felt their was something to it," Champ Car communications director Eric Mauk said. "What today's announcement does is let everybody get on with planning for the 2005 season."

IRL officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
But earlier this month IRL Executive Vice President of Corporate Communications and Public Relations Fred Nation told IBJ that any discussions with Champ Car officials would have to be complete soon so both series can begin the work of trying to secure sponsors for next season.

"On one hand, all of us would like to see one series moving forward," Nation said. "But the process needs to be quick because when you're in limbo, nothing gets done. Right now, potential sponsors are taking a wait-and-see attitude, and that could cause serious problems if a decision isn't made soon."

Today's announcement effectively should allow the IRL to begin planning for the 2005 season—a schedule that is expected to include between two and four road or street-circuit courses.

"From our standpoint, we have an open mind [about reunification]," Nation said. "But our future doesn't depend on reunification."

Earlier this month, Penske Racing President Tim Cindric told IBJ Penske was concerned about the state of open wheel racing because the confusion caused by two series often discourages potential sponsors.

"They say, 'When the clouds part, call us,'" Cindric said. "We're knocking on a lot of the same doors as the leagues, so I'd be surprised if they haven't heard the same message."

Racing Truth
07-16-04, 07:56 PM
JoeBob's article above is important. Combined with the actual release, it leads to one conclusion that only JB, pferrf1, and jono have seen here.

Note: Nowhere does it say the idea is dead. NOWHERE! Try looking for something that says the whole idea is over. You won't find it.

Why? B/c what they're saying, IMHO, is, "Due to sponsorship and contractual issues for 2005, we cannot feasibly merge for the upcoming season. We will both have a 2005 season. That does not mean we won't discuss unification for '06, and, oh by the way, if this press release shuts up everyone in the press so we can do this privately, well, all the better." ;)

I could be very wrong, but when was the last time, if ever, they issued a joint press release? :saywhat: That tells me quite a bit.

Sean O'Gorman
07-16-04, 08:02 PM
This could be good. The crapwagons go through their equipment cycle every three years, right? Getting together in 2006 could mean that they could work on an entirely new formula.

Racing Truth
07-16-04, 08:07 PM
This could be good. The crapwagons go through their equipment cycle every three years, right? Getting together in 2006 could mean that they could work on an entirely new formula.

Ahh, and therein lies "contractual issue #1" for both sides ;) . I believe ChampCar extended the current package through '05 as well, IIRC.

JoeBob
07-16-04, 08:08 PM
I'm with Racing Truth on this one. They're thinking "merge in 2006."

As of now, 2006 will be the first year of a new chassis cycle for the IRL. It was supposed to be the start of a new engine program as well - but they extended the 2005 specs for 2006 when they made the changes for this year. (There has been some debate over whether the manufacturers have agreed to supply engines for 2006 - last word was that Honda and Toyota were in, Chevy was thinking about it.)

Madmaxfan2
07-16-04, 08:16 PM
I will believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

Jdcooperclan
07-17-04, 09:43 AM
This isn't over ; not by a long shot. Penske is nothing if not persistant. The next step will be between Roger and the sponsors/suppliers. He'll bring pressure to bear thru Toyota, Bridgestone, Ford, etc. Roger's no fool, and he's capable of leveraging movement thru the power of his logic.

Chief
07-17-04, 12:03 PM
Count me in as a conspiracy theorist. The joint statement and silence makes me think this is a done deal in 2006.

If Bridgestone/Firestone was truely behind this (and they were) where's their PR stating they're done with both series? Silly press release is gonna raise more questions...

Madmaxfan2
07-17-04, 12:18 PM
This isn't over ; not by a long shot. Penske is nothing if not persistant. The next step will be between Roger and the sponsors/suppliers. He'll bring pressure to bear thru Toyota, Bridgestone, Ford, etc. Roger's no fool, and he's capable of leveraging movement thru the power of his logic.
You need to read my post on other racing on TG counteractions. RP has no real leverage on TG because TG is still in denial. TG is dysfunctional so reason does not compute with him. TG can count on someone somewere to supply engines, cars,drivers, and tires. That is all you really need to stage a race since he has the track. Don't even think about fans, TV coverage or sponsors, apparently that part has not registered yet.

gjc2
07-17-04, 02:50 PM
You need to read my post on other racing on TG counteractions. RP has no real leverage on TG because TG is still in denial. TG is dysfunctional so reason does not compute with him. TG can count on someone somewere to supply engines, cars,drivers, and tires. That is all you really need to stage a race since he has the track. Don't even think about fans, TV coverage or sponsors, apparently that part has not registered yet.

I agree. For Mr. Penske to succeed in bringing about the unification of open wheel racing he will have to go around Tony George to his mother and sisters.

George

rabbit
07-19-04, 04:20 PM
Penske is a dolt. He's getting and taking credit for something he didn't do. Mario Andretti and Al Speyer worked their butts off for a year trying to put something together. Only one person prevented it from becoming reality, and you all know who that would be. Then Penske writes a column at the request of the New York Times, a newspaper with a reputation for made-up stories, and everyone hails him as a potential saviour of open wheel racing.