PDA

View Full Version : 4 Days Ruined At Daytona

DaveL
02-11-03, 02:08 PM
There was a 4 car crash in practice at Daytona today. There were no injuries.

The wreck could have been a Big Wreck if luck had gone a little differently.

Pack racing is bad. Don't give me this "side by side" garbage. If they aren't going to take the plates off or reduce the banking, then at least give them a larger plate and let them run 190+. The good drivers will seperate from the bad and the packs will break up.

Elliott Sadler is really pissed off right now.

cart7
02-11-03, 03:11 PM
When a guy like Ward Burton says the favorite to win is the one who misses the big one, you know it's bad. It's gotten to the point that it's expected. It's unbelievable that Nascar keeps this format in place. After Earnhardt, you'd think they would have changed things. The drivers are no better for not taking a stand. I suppose someone else will have to lose their life before somethings done. :shakehead :thumdown:

Napoleon
02-11-03, 03:56 PM
Jimmy Vasser 5th fast. Not bad.

mnkywrch
02-11-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Elliott Sadler is really pissed off right now.

He should be, considering how Jack Sprague (apparently) can't drive in a straight line...

JLMannin
02-11-03, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by cart7
When a guy like Ward Burton says the favorite to win is the one who misses the big one, you know it's bad. It's gotten to the point that it's expected. It's unbelievable that Nascar keeps this format in place. After Earnhardt, you'd think they would have changed things. The drivers are no better for not taking a stand. I suppose someone else will have to lose their life before somethings done. :shakehead :thumdown:

If the death of Earnhardt did not wake them up, then all is lost.

DaveL
02-11-03, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Jimmy Vasser 5th fast. Not bad.

That was in single car BGN practice. They didn't run in packs today because they are practicing for qualifying and didn't want any pushes or tows to affect their lap time.

If Sprague's mistake would have happened at the front at the pack he was in rather than the tail end, I'd have written about a lot more than 4 guys having their days ruined.

Don Quixote
02-11-03, 08:19 PM
If Sprague's mistake would have happened at the front at the pack he was in rather than the tail end, I'd have written about a lot more than 4 guys having their days ruined.
Call me a cynic, but I think the big pack racing wrecks, or the threat of such, is exactly what NASCAR wants. Remember all the press coverage at the last big one at Taledega?

pchall
02-11-03, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
Call me a cynic, but I think the big pack racing wrecks, or the threat of such, is exactly what NASCAR wants. Remember all the press coverage at the last big one at Taledega?

I'll see you this level of cynicism about NASCAR and raise you the notion that at lot of the fans in the stands at restrictor plate races are there anticipating the inevitable big one and disappointed if they don't get one in the course of five hundred miles.

RTKar
02-11-03, 09:12 PM
The next time you see a highlight tape of a big NASCAR wreck, look at the fans in the background, many of them if not most, will be cheering wildly.........I agree, they hope to see a big one.

Cam
02-11-03, 10:29 PM
4000 lbs of metal made into scrap in in 0.15 seconds????? :shakehead

Whatever.....

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-03, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by JLMannin
If the death of Earnhardt did not wake them up, then all is lost.

Earnhardt's wreck did nothing to change NASCAR's view on the plates because his wreck wasn't the result of "the big one". NASCAR likes the 20 car pileups where it always looks bad, but since everyone is okay it is quickly forgotten about the next day. I can't imagine NASCAR's luck in this area will stay good for much longer.

rabbit
02-12-03, 02:21 AM
I saw an interview once on MTV with a couple of NASCAR fans, a man and a woman. They were asked what their favorite thing was about NASCAR. The man said his favorite was the wrecks. The woman, looking half-shocked, said, "That's awful! What if somebody gets killed? How would you feel then?" To which the man replied, "That's what they get paid for." :shakehead

JSR
02-12-03, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
I saw an interview once on MTV with a couple of NASCAR fans, a man and a woman. They were asked what their favorite thing was about NASCAR. The man said his favorite was the wrecks. The woman, looking half-shocked, said, "That's awful! What if somebody gets killed? How would you feel then?" To which the man replied, "That's what they get paid for." :shakehead

What a moron! :shakehead

Napoleon
02-12-03, 08:25 AM
That was in single car BGN practice. They didn't run in packs today because they are practicing for qualifying and didn't want any pushes or tows to affect their lap time.

I knew that, I just hope that it is a sign of how Jimmy qualifies. It would be good PR if he does well in that race.

sundaydriver
02-12-03, 11:52 AM
Follow the leader racing may be boring but pack racing is dangerous. At least Nascar has a closed cockpit.

On the other hand, the IRL has dodged the bullet so far but I'm guessing that something is going to happen someday and when it does, well, I dont want to think about it.

JLMannin
02-12-03, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
The next time you see a highlight tape of a big NASCAR wreck, look at the fans in the background, many of them if not most, will be cheering wildly.........I agree, they hope to see a big one.

They go one step further and give standing ovations. :shakehead

And that is what the NASCAR fans talk about the next day at work.

JSR
02-12-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
They go one step further and give standing ovations. :shakehead

And that is what the NASCAR fans talk about the next day at work.

Not this Nascar fan.

Eagle104
02-14-03, 03:39 AM
And now the pit-crew is being called on even more for Nascar's 'thrill show'. There'll be more stops -- in packs. They dodged another bullet in the second 125. The crewmen may be the bravest out there.

It's almost criminal. Yeehaw........

devilmaster
02-14-03, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by sundaydriver
On the other hand, the IRL has dodged the bullet so far but I'm guessing that something is going to happen someday and when it does, well, I dont want to think about it.

Ya know, you spoke my sentiments perfectly. I didn't like Handford, I don't like restrictors, and I don't like the IRL racin.

I'm very afraid that will happen soon. And i'm afraid it's going to be bad. I don't like Tony and his vision, I don't like the IRL, but I don't want to see driver or spectator seriously hurt or killed in racing, when it could have been avoided.

Steve

pchall
02-14-03, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster

I'm very afraid that will happen soon. And i'm afraid it's going to be bad. I don't like Tony and his vision, I don't like the IRL, but I don't want to see driver or spectator seriously hurt or killed in racing, when it could have been avoided.

Steve

As much disdain as I feel for how NASCAR and now the IRL have taken the motorsport out of their shows, I am concerned about the obvious safety issues.

The product NASCAR and IRL feel obligated to offer is going to end up in a disaster of a proportion not seen since LeMans in 1955.