PDA

View Full Version : false advertising

CART T. Katz
07-14-04, 11:34 PM
just heard this on the radio no more than 3 hours ago. it was a promotion for the upcoming crapwagon race in beautiful, vibrant, exciting greater gallatin co. (that's sparta for those not around here). and you know what i heard?

downshifting as like on a roadcourse
high pitched engines
TURBOCHARGERS

and if my ears are correct, it sounds like those engines were taken from toronto some years ago, turn 3 (don't ask me how i pulled that out). you think that this is a new marketing ploy: get the casual fan baited with the obvious CHAMPCAR engines and switch them with the obviously overmatched crapwagons?

come to think of it, the kspeedway isn't owned by i$c or smi. i figure getting a race here would be easier then. why haven't the three amigos come calling my way? that way we could really show these people how a real open wheel racing series handles the 1.5 mile ovals.

pchall
07-15-04, 03:06 PM
I expect that this gem of radio advertising will show up in the SW Ohio market as well.

Kentucky Speedway is owned by Jerry Carrol and a group of investors. The track was created in a "if you build it they will come" dream that NASCAR would come out of the hills and bluegrass and stage Cup races there.

Carrol is a horsetrack owner and real estate developer. He really has little or no knowledge of motorsports and its fans. All he knows is that NASCAR is a cash cow. He also knows the value of promotion and has some troops who really know how to use the local media.

What they don't know is the nature of fandom and where the demographics really are. A couple of years ago they tried to offer a bus ride from Xavier University and Busch Series raceday/night in a suite as a premium during pledging for XU's FM public radio station. They were stunned when there were takers among the listeners on the Xstar Network -- which consists of about a dozen repeaters and affiliates in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

The guys I talked to after that debacle (who will remain nameless to protect their stupidity) just didn't have a clue. Of course, they have consistently refused to learn that there is a different kinds of "openwheel" fans -- they think that Champcar fans at Mid-Ohio are exactly the same fans that go to their IRL race. :rolleyes:

RichK
07-15-04, 04:23 PM
Informative post, pchall! Very interesting.

FanofMario
07-15-04, 04:58 PM
On another radio note---I heard a Brickyard radio spot for tickets today. Can't say I have ever heard one of those this close to that race. :p

Madmaxfan2
07-15-04, 05:26 PM
On another radio note---I heard a Brickyard radio spot for tickets today. Can't say I have ever heard one of those this close to that race. :p

I heard a spot on Classic Rock Radio 94.7 FM here in Detroit. Sales must really be slow. I thought this race was the cash cow that paid for the IRL. I sense that things in gomerville might be falling apart. However, TG would still not acknowledge that in public.

CART T. Katz
07-15-04, 06:31 PM
I expect that this gem of radio advertising will show up in the SW Ohio market as well.

Kentucky Speedway is owned by Jerry Carrol and a group of investors. The track was created in a "if you build it they will come" dream that NASCAR would come out of the hills and bluegrass and stage Cup races there.

Carrol is a horsetrack owner and real estate developer. He really has little or no knowledge of motorsports and its fans. All he knows is that NASCAR is a cash cow. He also knows the value of promotion and has some troops who really know how to use the local media.

What they don't know is the nature of fandom and where the demographics really are. A couple of years ago they tried to offer a bus ride from Xavier University and Busch Series raceday/night in a suite as a premium during pledging for XU's FM public radio station. They were stunned when there were takers among the listeners on the Xstar Network -- which consists of about a dozen repeaters and affiliates in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

The guys I talked to after that debacle (who will remain nameless to protect their stupidity) just didn't have a clue. Of course, they have consistently refused to learn that there is a different kinds of "openwheel" fans -- they think that Champcar fans at Mid-Ohio are exactly the same fans that go to their IRL race. :rolleyes:

speaking of disgruntled mr. caroll...
he's pissed and he's persistant (http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2004/07/15/C1-speed0715-7809.html)

and my take on this whole issue (which was brought up on another forum unrelated to racing which is reproduced here (http://ctkatz.trybalink.net/takes/nokycup.html)

many thanks to Cam who was able to get the radio spot i recorded. cry: http://www.pccruisers.com/crapwagonsinky.mp3

dando
07-15-04, 07:05 PM
Yup. Radio and TV spots here in Cbus. Not carpet bombing us w/ads as they were for the race in May, tho.

-Kevin