PDA

View Full Version : Please Read:"Tour de Road America" needs your help

RaceChic
07-13-04, 05:55 PM
http://www.tour-de-ra.org/images/tourdera_banner.gif

I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

A couple of my friends, George F. Siegle and Dave Racine, have made me proud in starting this event. It has taken off and is now being supported by ChampCar themselves. :D

Mario Dominguez and Ryan Hunter-Reay are confirmed as participants !!! :thumbup:

Please read a quote from George that I have taken with his permission and included for you.

:arrow: I hope some of you can help this event take off in style !!!

Champ Car will only benefit from involvement in events like this and assisting with important charities such as this one. :mrgreen:

It all started with a few guys wanting to go for a ride, and it's grown into an official event on the ChampCar Grand Prix of Road America weekend. To make a long story short, we're going to have a fundraising ride to benefit the Lance Armstrong foundation on Saturday Aug 7 at 7PM. The Lance Armstrong Foundation supports those living with and through cancer. We'll spend an hour on the track, with ChampCar and TransAm series drivers joining us. Our goal is to raise $25,000.

In the next few weeks, you'll see and hear announcements. But we wanted you to hear it here first. The official PR has not gone out yet, we expect that next week.

I am dedicating my ride to my wife's grandmother, who is currently in the hospital in Traverse City, MI battling bladder cancer and complications from chemo.

We need your help to pull this event off. There are lots of things we need for logistics (like printing, banners, bottled water, etc.) as well as in-kind donations. In-kind donations are donations to cover the event expenses, as opposed to those going to the LAF itself. Bottom line, we need to raise some money to be able to raise more money. Any surplus in in-kind donations will go to the LAF. If you can help with $25, $10 or even $5, that would be awesome. Go to www.tour-de-ra.org and click on the contacts page. There is a PayPal account set up to accept donations. Contact us if you would rather write a check or can help with logistics. Thanks in advance and see you ON the track!

LiveStrong : WearYellow!

http://www.tour-de-ra.org/images/tourdera_bannerLG.gif

Opposite Lock
07-13-04, 06:32 PM
Very cool! First trip to RA, AND I get to bike it! Hope PT rides too - we'll see how well his chrome horn works without 750 hp. ;)

KLang
07-13-04, 07:42 PM
Flying in so I won't be riding but I'll help out with $$.

Ziggy
07-13-04, 10:03 PM
Eat your wheaties, RA is a long, long track

Madmaxfan2
07-13-04, 10:15 PM
I will keep George's grandmother in my prayers. Ole Madmaxfan2 himself is battling Stage IV Metastic Head & Neck Cancer and undergoing chemotherapy. It is important to help in such causes. It seems that cancer has affected so many lives these days.

JT265
07-13-04, 10:29 PM
I will keep George's grandmother in my prayers. Ole Madmaxfan2 himself is battling Stage IV Metastic Head & Neck Cancer and undergoing chemotherapy. It is important to help in such causes. It seems that cancer has affected so many lives these days.

Indeed it has. I hope that your treatment is going ok MMF2, and let's see what we can do to support this deal!
:thumbup:

RaceChic
07-17-04, 01:02 AM
Driver lineup so far:

Mario Dominguez
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Tommy Kendall
Alex Tagliani
Mario Haberfeld

Also joining the ride:
Bronte Tagliani

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

KLang
07-17-04, 01:12 AM
Also joining the ride:
Bronte Tagliani

Think they will let me ride along in my golf cart? :gomer:

Lizzerd
07-17-04, 02:56 AM
Yeah... right "behind" Bronte. Can I ride shotgun?

KLang
07-17-04, 08:51 AM
Yeah... right "behind" Bronte. Can I ride shotgun?

Behind, beside.....

Sure, we just have to figure out a way to ditch my wife. :saywhat:

Madmaxfan2
07-17-04, 12:21 PM
Behind, beside.....

Sure, we just have to figure out a way to ditch my wife. :saywhat:

Do what ever it takes. I wish I could join you guys, I would like to enjoy the "view" too! :D

RaceChic
07-20-04, 02:16 PM
Alex and Bronte Tagliani to Tour de Road America in Support of Lance Armstrong Foundation
by Nadia Petrossi
(http://www.champweb.net/headline.php?t=h&id=25908)

:D :D :D

Anteater
07-20-04, 10:07 PM
This sounds like such a cool event! I used to be an avid cyclist; with some training I could keep up with the "A" Group in this event. For those of you who have the pleasure of participating in this event, have a wonderful time and tell us all about it!

Thoughts and prayers, Madmaxfan2.

RaceChic
07-29-04, 11:07 AM
Paul Tracy Joins Tour de Road America!

ELKHART LAKE, WISC- The Tour de Road America benefiting the Lance Armstrong Foundation is excited to announce the addition of 2003 Champ Car World Series Champion, Paul Tracy.

“The Elkhart Lake ‘Tour de Road America’ will be a great event and I’m very happy to continue my support of the Lance Armstrong Foundation,” said Tracy, who is an avid cyclist and has twice donated his $25,000 Driver of the Year award to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

“I have the greatest respect and admiration for Lance Armstrong. His sixth Tour de France victory is simply incredible – Lance’s commitment and dedication and personal achievement in his most physically demanding sport amongst such great competition is unparalleled; he simply an inspiration,” continued Tracy, “I’m very much looking forward to participating in the Tour de Road America.”

The Tour de Road America unites drivers from the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, the MotoRock Trans Am series, racing fans and hundreds of cycling enthusiasts who will all ride together to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. In the weeks following Lance’s unmatched 6th Tour de France victory, Champ Car drivers will join a large group of bicyclists who have made substantial donations to the LAF and together will ride one of America’s premier road course facilities, Road America.

The Tour de Road America is a fantastic opportunity for fans and cyclists to meet and ride with Paul Tracy, who is fresh off his dominating victory at the Molson Indy Vancouver, as they cycle around the four-mile race track of beautiful Road America.

Cyclists and racing fans can register for the Tour de Road America by visiting www.tour-de-ra.org and can purchase tickets to the Grand Prix of Road America at www.roadamerica.com. Road America will donate back to the Lance Armstrong Foundation for every Tour de Road America ticket package purchased!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

KLang
07-29-04, 11:25 AM
Any chance Lance will show up?

RaceChic
07-29-04, 05:35 PM
Tour de Road America Announces Additional Drivers, Events, Rider Gifts, and Sponsorships for Lance Armstrong Foundation Fundraiser

The organizers of the Tour de Road America, a Peloton Project event benefiting the Lance Armstrong Foundation, announced several exciting additions to its weekend lineup.

More Drivers Join the Tour

Forsythe Racing’s Paul Tracy, defending Champion of the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, will join the Tour de Road America. Tracy, an avid cyclist, twice donated his $25,000 Driver of the Year award to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Newman-Hass drivers Bruno Junquiera and current championship points leader Sebastian Bourdais have joined the Tour. Newman-Haas racing is co-owned by renowned actor Paul Newman. Newman is active in philanthropy and in 2002 received the Lance Armstrong Foundations’ Carpe Diem – Champions of Survivorship award for his work with the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps for children living with cancer and other serious illnesses.

RuSport drivers A.J. Allmendinger and Michele Jourdain, Jr. are excited at the opportunity to join the Tour. A.J. and Michel are fresh off podium finishes in the Molson Indy of Vancouver.

1,000 “Live Strong” Wristbands – Sign the Banner Congratulating Lance Armstrong on his Victory

Attendees of the Grand Prix of Road America are encouraged to stop by the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) booth located near the Four Mile Merchant to purchase the popular Live Strong yellow wristbands. The $1 wristbands are part of a campaign to raise $5 million for people around the world who are living with cancer. All proceeds benefit the LAF. Purchasing a wristband or making an additional donation to the LAF will entitle race fans to sign a banner congratulating Lance on his triumph over cancer and his historic 6th victory in the Tour de France.

Rider Reception Announced

On Saturday, August 7 at 5:00 P.M., riders and Tour de Road America supporters will be welcomed to the beautiful Road America circuit at a reception in the South Paddock. Riders will have a chance to chat with professional race car drivers from the Champ Car World Series and the Motorock Trans-Am Series, members of the Lance Armstrong Foundation Peloton Project, fellow cyclists and racing fans. Road America, America’s premiere road racing circuit, has generously donated hospitality space and light refreshments.

Sponsors Added, T-Shirts and Cytomax for Tour de Road America Riders

Riders in the Tour de Road America will receive a commemorative t-shirt courtesy of Bella’s Custom Designs of Kiel, Wisconsin. The bright yellow t-shirts feature the Lance Armstrong Foundation logo and its mantra “Live Strong.” Yellow is the color of the leader’s jersey in the Tour de France, and has been adopted as a symbol of the LAF’s fight against cancer.

The organizers of the Tour de Road America also announced sponsorship from Cytosport of Benicia, California, makers of CytomaxTM. Cytomax is the world's most scientifically advanced complex carbohydrate, electrolyte performance energy drink. The first 100 riders to register for the Tour de Road America will receive a Cytomax water bottle and samples of the Cytomax sport energy drink. Cytosport owner Greg Pickett drives the #6 Cytomax Jaguar XKR in the Trans Am Series, and will also join the Tour.

About the Tour de Road America

Road America will host the Tour de Road America, a Peloton Project fundraiser for the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) on August 7 during weekend activities at the Grand Prix of Road America, featuring the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford (August 5-8). Bicyclists and world class drivers will ride the historic four-mile race track starting at 7 p.m. Saturday evening. The Tour de Road America will have a booth in the paddock area to collect donations for the Lance Armstrong Foundation with a goal of reaching $25,000 during the four-day event.

For more information on the Tour de Road America, visit www.tour-de-ra.org. For information on Road America, including tickets, visit www.roadamerica.com.

audi quattro
07-29-04, 11:47 PM
I just hope that all the media types get it right and say champcar and not earlcar when talking about the race and the relationship between lance and champcar.

Opposite Lock
07-30-04, 01:11 AM
from CCWS>com (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8110)

"Figuring that many people attending the August 6-8 Champ Car Grand Prix of Road America Presented by the Chicago Tribune would be bringing bicycles and would jump at a chance to ride the track, George Siegle and Dave Racine immediately seized upon the idea of a ride on the Road America track benefiting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. "

"Although the event has grown far beyond their original expectations, Siegle and Racine have one more challenge – getting Lance Armstrong to appear at the event. “With his sixth Tour de France victory, we know he’s in great demand,” says Racine, “but no one has told us ‘no’ yet, so we’re going to keep pushing until we make it happen or someone tells us to stop.” With the success Siegle and Racine have achieved so far, you never know who might show up in Elkhart Lake that weekend."

Opposite Lock
07-30-04, 01:15 AM
I just hope that all the media types get it right and say champcar and not earlcar when talking about the race and the relationship between lance and champcar.

I just hope that the CHICAGO TRIBUNE does more PROMOTION.

Both for the GP which they claim to "sponsor", and for the "Tour de Road America", which they REALLY should embrace.

turn1
08-03-04, 11:52 AM
While I will not be able to participate in the ride, I am proudly wearing my LIVESTRONG wristband in support of the LAF.

For everyone who is going to be able to ride, hopefully "Mellow Johnny" will at least attend the event as well. After three weeks on a bike and the partying since last Sunday, one has to wonder if he has any urge to saddle up!

jonovision_man
08-08-04, 10:24 PM
How did this go? Such a cool idea, I was out at Mosport today and I thought back to this thread, would be great fun to cycle the circuit. :)

Dirty Sanchez
08-09-04, 09:59 AM
One of the real highlights of the weekend. I had the best seat in the house driving around in the lead car with Monkey. I have some pretty amazing pictures to share. Soon :)

Wheel-Nut
08-09-04, 11:04 AM
While I will not be able to participate in the ride, I am proudly wearing my LIVESTRONG wristband in support of the LAF.

. . . . .

I thought I noticed Paul Gentilozzi with a LIVESTRONG wristband on in the winners interview.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2004/By400/20040808P_0006.jpg

Opposite Lock
08-09-04, 11:16 AM
One of the highlights of my summer. It was a beautiful evening for the ride, and a real pleasure to see the course from a bike. That hill out of 14 to the finish line is a real challenge, but well worth the effort in order to ride the other high speed sections. I actually went a little wide and used the outside curbs at 5 on the first lap, because there were riders on the inside apex that I was passing, and there was no way I was going to give up any speed before the hill up into six. I did my first laps at speed, (although my speed was nothing like that of the U of W Whitewater bike team), then did the last lap at a more leisurely pace, in order to take photos.

Thanks to George, Terri, and everyone else whose names I don't know, who made this happen - let's do it again next year!