PDA

View Full Version : Silly Season 2005

tomahawk
07-11-04, 07:58 PM
With Half Schu now confirmed to Toyota, Silly Season 2005 appears to be in full swing. Near as I can tell, here's how it is shaping up:

Ferrari: Full Schu and Rubin-HO (confirmed)
McLaren: Kimi and Zorro (confirmed)
BAR: Button and Mr. Excitement-San (confirmed)
Renault: Fred (confirmed); Jarno (most-likely); Webbah, Montagny (potential); Newtown (long-shot)
Williams: none confirmed, Webbah (most-likely); FizziCola, DC, Gene, Pizzaman, Newtown, Jeff Gordon, Ant Davidson (potential); Mika Hakkinen (long-shot);
Toyota: Half Schu (confirmed); Panis (most-likely); CDM, Webbah, DC, Jarno (potential)
Jaguar: none confirmed; Klien, DC, Ant Davidson, Nick Heidfeld, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Bjorn Wirdheim (potential)
Sauber: none confirmed; FizziCola and Massa (most-likely); Ant Davidson (potential)
Jordan: whoever pays
Minardi: who cares

At Renault, I think that it is highly likely that they resign Jarno, who has had the measure of Fred more times this season than not.

At Williams, Webber's probably a done deal. I can see Frank Williams bringing in a young gun as well - Ant Davidson fits the bill, though Webber and Davidson are VERY different sized individuals and that could cause some issues. Personally, I'd like to see Gordon or Jacques. I don't rate Gene or Pizzonia.

At Toyota, I think they retain one of their current drivers, with Panis more likely.

At Jaguar, assuming the team is still Jaguar and not Red Bull, I see DC wearing green as his experience with top teams and sponsor-friendly demeanor would help Jaguar tremendously. Liuzzi is the most-likely second seat given his Red Bull backing.

At Sauber, I see Fisichella and Massa retained. No need to change and they're not going anywhere.

At Jordan, if Eddie can get Benson & Hedges to step up, he may bring Ant Davidson over to join Nick Heidfeld, but pay-drivers are more likely.

Same for Minardi.

Part of me would love to see AJ or RHR find their way across the pond, but I think ChampCar needs them more right now...

Did I miss anything? Reactions?

:tomahawk

Robstar
07-11-04, 08:14 PM
Webbo could be in for Hungary... (http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

chop456
07-12-04, 02:31 AM
Williams would be out of their minds not to sign Fisichella.

TrueBrit
07-12-04, 11:08 AM
I'm sorry but what is the big deal about Fizzy-Cola?

If young master Villeneuve is available at a discount rate I would think it would make sense to go with a proven winner.....but then again this is Williams we're talking about, the team that managed to piss off not one but TWO drivers in their championship winning years....

Hey Frank, how did Frentzen work out for you? Still glad you dropped World Champion Damon Hill?

Idiot.

If Patrick head has anything to say about it I think it will be Villeneuve....

Dirty Sanchez
07-12-04, 11:14 AM
Sorry... Fisichella over the proven whinger every day of the week. He could actually beat Button when they were teammates. :gomer:

Davidson to Sauber with Massa.

Ofcourse now I am also hearing Fisichella to Renault, Jarno to partner Ralf at Toyota. He will get a top ride. About time. :thumbup:

Forza Lancia
07-12-04, 11:40 AM
I hope that, after the music stops, Nick Heidfeld ends up with a decent ride (wouldn't BMW like a German driver in one their cars?). My guess is that he has more ability than Fisichella, although it's kind of difficult to tell, considering the cars he's been in.

ilferrari
07-12-04, 12:06 PM
Sorry... Fisichella over the proven whinger every day of the week. He could actually beat Button when they were teammates. :gomer:

I reckon Fisichella will get the seat over JV. The only thing is Frank and Patrick have a history of going for hard racers and JV is definately one of them, Fisichella was sometimes accused of not giving 100% to match his talent.

Also I don't see why Davidson should get the seat cos the British press are hyping him. He got a few drives in 2002 and sucked big style.

The Doctor
07-12-04, 12:15 PM
Also I don't see why Davidson should get the seat cos the British press are hyping him. He got a few drives in 2002 and sucked big style.

In a Minardi. I wouldn't base talent on a two-race Minardi ride two years ago.

Also, I think Sauber would rather let Fisi go to Renault, if possible. Fisi's contract only lets him out if he goes to Ferrari, McLaren, or Williams. Flav and Renault would have to pay Sauber to take him, and I think Peter would much rather get some money than let him go for free.

But the other Williams seat is totally unpredictable. And that's what everything depends on. Who the hell knows? I think it'll hurt less if I try to not think about it. :confused: :confused:

FTG
07-12-04, 12:30 PM
No seabass? When he talks about Europe next year is anyone listening?

Dirty Sanchez
07-12-04, 12:56 PM
No seabass? When he talks about Europe next year is anyone listening?Renault passed on him in favor of Frank Motagny... who incidently will also not be racing in F1 next year. Not saying its right, but I think the champcar to F1 route may have dried up for a little while.

Chaos
07-12-04, 01:35 PM
Looks like SB may be a victim of not enough quality seats for many qualified drivers. JW would also not look out of place in F1.

tomahawk
07-13-04, 05:46 AM
Latest seems to be Heidfeld to Williams with Webber, Trulli to Toyota with Ralf, Fisi to Renault with Alonso, Ant Davidson to Sauber with Massa...I think...

chop456
07-13-04, 08:27 AM
Latest seems to be Heidfeld to Williams with Webber,

BMW is so desperate for a German driver that they'll take "Mercedes'" driver?

Easy
07-13-04, 09:47 AM
BMW is so desperate for a German driver that they'll take "Mercedes'" driver?

Mercedes dropped Heidfeld like a (insert analogy of choice here).

jonovision_man
07-13-04, 10:53 AM
I would include Bourdais as a long shot at Renault and an even longer shot at Williams. He's proved himself at every level of racing he's tried his hand at, F3000 champ, he shouldn't be overlooked!

chop456
07-13-04, 10:54 AM
Mercedes dropped Heidfeld like a (insert analogy of choice here).

I know he hasn't been under contract, but I thought even the stigma would be enough to turn Mario off. He got screwed time and time again, so I would like to see him in a decent car, but not at Fisichella's expense.

jonovision_man
07-13-04, 10:55 AM
Heidfeld's going to be a mid-field driver forever IMO, being passed over for Kimi was a death blow to the boy's chances at a top ride. Williams is looking to Webber and experience, the experience probably being Fisi/Jacques/DC.

Dirty Sanchez
07-13-04, 11:07 AM
I would include Bourdais... F3000 champ...Not in my book.

Sean O'Gorman
07-13-04, 11:11 AM
Not in my book.

And who would you prefer, Blinky? :laugh: ;)

chop456
07-13-04, 11:15 AM
And who would you prefer, Blinky? :laugh: ;)

I think what he means is that Bourdais didn't finish that season with the most points.

Ed_Severson
07-13-04, 11:18 AM
Sean, I believe he was referring to the fact that Tomas Enge beat Bourdais to the F3000 title but was disqualified for failing a drug test, not implying that Bourdais wouldn't or shouldn't be a candidate for a Renault race seat.

Dirty Sanchez
07-13-04, 11:22 AM
Word. http://www.yourfavoritedriversucks.com/xForum/images/smilies/custom/sanchez/smokin.gif

Sean O'Gorman
07-13-04, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that!

http://www.mr2oc.com/images/xtrasmilies/bandito.gif

jonovision_man
07-13-04, 11:54 AM
Not in my book.

Check the name on the trophy. :) Enge only beat him by a few points anyway, it was very close. And he had all that performance-enhancing drug to help him ;) "dude... the corner... wooooah..."

ilferrari
07-13-04, 07:59 PM
:laugh:

tomahawk
07-13-04, 10:45 PM
OK - so Webber and Heidfeld to Williams, Fisichella to join Alonso at Renault, Jarno to join Half at Toyota...

...and Sea Bass and Enge to shoot it out for the F3000 Championship at Jaguar...loser replaces Heidfeld at Jordan.

tomahawk
07-19-04, 06:34 AM
Near as I can tell, after reading the weekend report, the front-runners for the open seats are:

Williams: Webber and Heidfeld
Toyota: Half and Jarno
Renault: Alonso and FizziCola
Jaguar: DC and Liuzzi
Sauber: AntDavidson and Massa

Ferrari, McLaren and BAR already confirmed.
Jordan and Minardi - whoever can pay.

Dirty Sanchez
07-19-04, 01:24 PM
Ferrari - Michael Schumacher/Rubens Barrichello
McLaren - Kimi Raikkonen/Juan Pudgy Montoya
BAR - Jenson Button/Takuma Sato
Renault - Fernando Alonso/Jarno Trulli
Williams - Mark Webber/Giancarlo Fisichella
Toiletta - Ralf Schumacher/Olivier Panis (Ricardo Zonta??)
Sauber - Anthony Davidson/Felipe Massa
Jaguar - David Coulthard/Christian Klein (Bjorn Wirdheim?? Liuzzi testing??)
Jordan - who cares?
Minardi - same (Jacques Villeneuve?? :D )

pinniped
07-20-04, 05:35 PM
I dunno, Hakkinen might be an interesting prospect at Williams, certainly more so than Jack Newhouse...Would love to see Fisichella in a top ride and I imagine one more good weekend like the last one and he will have his choice...its all about timing, everyone already forgot that Trulli won Monaco :laugh:

mapguy
07-20-04, 06:06 PM
I'm hoping to win the PowerBall lottery so I can wave @30 milllion in front of Sir Frank to give JV a ride.

Just to piss of Crapus....

:D :p

Ruben Barrios
07-21-04, 12:59 AM
Anyway you cut that sandwich, Williams won't be a team to even consider. Now if by any cosmic chance things work out and GOD helps...

This Williams team would be a dream:

Jaques Villeneuve
Mikka Hakkinen

I know, pot dream but hey, it's been rummored more than enough (not together, but things could happen)

jonovision_man
07-21-04, 08:41 AM
AtlasF1 is reporting :

Webber to Williams is a done deal
Fisi to Renault also a done deal.

That's a bit of a surprise! :) Thanks Briatore, needed a jolt. Hope they are right, Alonso-Fisi would be a dynamite combination.

Forza Lancia
07-21-04, 11:32 AM
F1 Live (http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html) is reporting the same story, and adds:

"Jarno Trulli, as a result, will accept a big-money offer to be Ralf Schumacher's Toyota team-mate and David Coulthard is leaving McLaren for a job at the 'Cat.

BAR's 'Friday' tester Anthony Davidson is thought favourite to fill Roman Fisichella's Sauber boots and Nick Heidfeld is well-placed to drive a Williams."

F1, 2005-style, could be very interesting -- but then, I thought 2004 would be competetive, too...

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-04, 04:27 PM
I don't buy the Fisichella to Renault rumors just yet. Sounds like a Flavio tactic to get Trulli to capitulate.

jonovision_man
07-28-04, 07:28 AM
I don't buy the Fisichella to Renault rumors just yet. Sounds like a Flavio tactic to get Trulli to capitulate.

How about now? :)

Fisi to Renault
Webber to Williams

Confirmed.

Anteater
07-28-04, 07:50 AM
Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Varsha mention that Trulli got a ride at Toyota for 2005? I thought he said that during the quals broadcast. :confused:

Rogue Leader
07-28-04, 07:53 AM
Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Varsha mention that Trulli got a ride at Toyota for 2005? I thought he said that during the quals broadcast. :confused:

yep its trulli and ralf at toyota for 05...

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-04, 09:31 AM
Yep... I believe it now. I believed it yesterday actually.

Pleasantly surprised for sure. Renault is a stronger team than Williams... makes sense that they should go after the stronger driver ;)

jonovision_man
07-28-04, 09:40 AM
Yep... I believe it now. I believed it yesterday actually.

Pleasantly surprised for sure. Renault is a stronger team than Williams... makes sense that they should go after the stronger driver ;)

For now. :) Williams is too good to stay down for long, kind of like Maclaren, you knew they'd find a way to get back to the sharp end of the grid.

I love that driver pairing... Alonso+Fisi... should be a blast to watch, Flavio has outdone himself.

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-04, 10:46 AM
Williams are tough to figure out. I think there is more friction between the chassis side (Williams) and the engine supplier (BMW) than in any other team. They are still able to generate huge budget to play with... but they are very mistake prone for a "top" team.

It should be said that their radical car design was pretty much a buster this year too. Shoulda developed the 25. Hindsight is great isn't it? :cool: :laugh:

I don't see a McLaren-like comeback next year... especially not with 2 new drivers.

tomahawk
07-30-04, 12:04 AM
With Renault pairing Fred and Fisi (not to mention McLaren's Kimi/Zorro team), I think that Williams will need to do better than Heidfeld to pair with Webber. IMHO, Heidfeld has been underwhelming in the Jordan versus Pantano (or Glock)...Quick Nick should smoke these guys and he just hasn't.

Given the realistic choices - Heidfeld, Ant Davidson, Gene, Pizzaman, DC, and Villenueve - I'd like to see Jacques. I think he has unfinished business. Ant would be my second choice - quick, good tester, paid his dues, deserves a shot. Heidfeld had his chance.

Oh - and sign up AJ Allmindinger as a tester to replace Jacques in a year or two...

Joe in LA
07-30-04, 01:11 PM
I really can't beleive Heidfeld is being considered. I've been underwhelmed by him in every drive he's had. I can't beleive BMW needs a German driver in the car that badly.

jonovision_man
07-30-04, 01:27 PM
Given the realistic choices - Heidfeld, Ant Davidson, Gene, Pizzaman, DC, and Villenueve - I'd like to see Jacques.

Gene and Pizzonia - performed themselves out of contention if you ask me, neither has been very inspiring.

DC - so hopeless vs. Kimi, I think he's going to Jaguar or gone completely.

Davidson - I'd fall off my chair laughing, no way he deserves it over someone like Bourdais, who I hear is being mentionned more seriously now! (Aside - I actually asked Bourdais if he could go to Williams at the Toronto Indy :) He said "maybe - the f1 world is complicated"... never say never, he's proved a lot in the last couple years)

Hakkinen - retired for good IMO

Heidfeld vs Jacques - c'mon, it's a no brainer Frank, sign Jacques today! :)

Dirty Sanchez
07-30-04, 03:25 PM
I can't wait til the final nailed is driven into JV's F1 coffin... he has no chance. :cry:

Dr. Corkski
07-30-04, 04:48 PM
I can't wait til the final nailed is driven into JV's F1 coffin... he has no chance. :cry:It's going to happen either way.

If he doesn't get the drive, he will become F1's version of Johnny Herbert in CART.

If he gets the drive, he will get owned by Mark Webber.

Cam
07-30-04, 07:32 PM
I can't wait til the final nailed is driven into JV's F1 coffin... he has no chance. :cry:

Just for you Jamie! :D

http://www.pccruisers.com/jvwilliams2005.jpg

Audi_A4
08-02-04, 01:41 PM
you better add the Schuey to IRL fact because he shows up on the IRL website ... http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/drivers/driver_bios.php?driver_id=114 :gomer: