PDA

View Full Version : RM: IRL Not Likely to Replace CHAMP in Canada

dando
07-11-04, 03:37 PM
linky (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/11971/)

It's expected that Molson, which sponsors all three Champ Car races in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto, and Champ Car will announce contract extensions in Toronto and Vancouver -- with a possibility of adding a fourth date in Calgary. Montreal has two years remaining on its current contract.

"Molson's support of the Indy is unwavering and they've been behind this race in Toronto for 19 years," said Bob Singleton, vice president and general manager of the Molson Indy.

"Let's put it this way. I'm not going to stand up Sunday and say: 'This is our last race.' We don't have a contract yet for next year but we're talking."

:thumbup: :thumbup:

The IRL, which is expected to add road races at Sonoma, Calif. and Watkins Glen, N.Y. next year, would likely have had a tough time following Champ Car north of the border without any Canadian stars in its lineup.

"You would need at least one of the Big 3 to have a chance," said Dean McNulty of the Toronto Sun.

Unless Marty Roth gets back on track.

:rofl:

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
07-12-04, 12:28 AM
Champ Car co owner says series has eyes on Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg

Shi Davidi
Canadian Press

Sunday, July 11, 2004

TORONTO (CP) - Take note Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, Champ Car has its eye on you.

Series co-owner Paul Gentilozzi said Saturday the open-wheel circuit is interested in expanding to Western Canada, something Molstar, which holds the rights to Champ Car races in Canada, is examining.

"The possibility of additional races in Canada is something (Champ Car president Dick Eidswick) and the management team is studying,'' said Gentilozzi. "It would be silly to comment but a lot of people don't appreciate who great cities like Calgary and Edmonton and Winnipeg are. They're great cities that do a lot of commerce.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=7656a80b-d237-4b1c-b8b4-23b8d8045cf2

The local support may have gone a long way toward clinching a Canadian contract extension for Champ Car. Molson Breweries is expected to ink a five-year extension for Toronto and Vancouver within the next two weeks, and additional races in Calgary and Edmonton could be considered for the future.

"Molson's support of the Indy is unwavering and they've been behind this race in Toronto for 19 years," said Molson Indy vice president and general manager Bob Singleton. "We don't have a contract yet for next year but we're talking."

NEW DEAL: Champ Car got a good bit of news Saturday when Featherlite agreed to extend its sponsorship agreement as the series' official trailer through 2006.

"I think it's very important to show the public how well we're rebuilding Champ Car," said Eidswick. "It's a good indicator for out future."

Jay
07-12-04, 01:15 AM
They're still negotiating(ie Don't expect an announcement of a contract extension in Vancouver), but I don't think Canada has anything to worry about as far as Champcar is concerned in keeping its races - PG even said (after Robin Miller decided tosuggested that the IRL would be coming to Toronto in 2005), that he'd buy the first 10,000 tickets in Toronto if the IRL was racing here next year.

anait
07-12-04, 03:39 AM
"The possibility of additional races in Canada is something (Champ Car president Dick Eidswick) and the management team is studying,'' said Gentilozzi. "It would be silly to comment but a lot of people don't appreciate who great cities like Calgary and Edmonton and Winnipeg are. They're great cities that do a lot of commerce."

:eek: :cool: :thumbup:

K, I'm not going to hold my breath...but oh my oh my oh MY!!!!! ChampCars through Portage and Main...I'd be smiling for days...

Forza Lancia
07-12-04, 11:31 AM
Given Canada's loyal support of CART/OWRS racing, I'd say they deserve as many dates as they can handle. I wouldn't mind a trip north of the border to watch a race in Calgary, myself.