PDA

View Full Version : Hakkinen considering comeback with Williams, says Dennis

The Doctor
07-10-04, 09:50 PM
Interesting. Quite. Not likely, but good to think about the possibilities.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=motorSportsNews&storyID=5635521&section=news

Sat 10 July, 2004 18:54

By Alan Baldwin

SILVERSTONE, England, July 10 (Reuters) - Former champion Mika Hakkinen is considering making a Formula One comeback, McLaren boss Ron Dennis said on Saturday.

Hakkinen, who retired at the end of 2001, won two world titles with McLaren and his old team boss remains a close friend.

Asked at the British Grand Prix whether the 35-year-old Finn might be considering what would be a sensational return, possibly with rivals Williams, Dennis chose his words carefully but revealed there had been a discussion.

"I have met with Mika, we had a long conversation and I can honestly say that not only do I not know but I don't think he knows either," he said.

"It is something that he is reflecting on.

"We discussed everything, and the decision and timing of anything in Mika's career is his and there isn't anybody or any company or any individual impeding that.

"Mika sought my opinion, I gave him my opinion and he went back to Finland to consider the position."

Ferrari's six times world champion Michael Schumacher rated Hakkinen as his greatest rival when they were racing together and the Finn -- champion in 1998 and 1999 -- remains the last driver to beat the German to the crown.

Williams are looking for two new drivers for 2005 after Germany's Ralf Schumacher announced this week that he was joining Toyota and Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya signed for McLaren alongside Finland's Kimi Raikkonen.

Team boss Frank Williams was evasive when asked about any interest however.

"Mika may have talked to quite a few people, not necessarily us," he said. "We don't talk about drivers until they are done."

Several former champions have made comebacks in the past, notably Austrian Niki Lauda and France's Alain Prost returning to win titles with McLaren and Williams respectively after taking time out.

Dennis has previously suggested that a return by Hakkinen, who quit saying that he wanted to spend more time with his young family and feared getting hurt the longer he stayed, would be unlikely.

Former team mate David Coulthard also dismissed the speculation when it surfaced last May: "He'll sit back and enjoy the rumours but he will not race in Formula One again," the Briton declared at the Nuerburgring.

"It would be good for the sport if he did but there's no way Mika is coming back. There's no doubt in my mind."

Opposite Lock
07-10-04, 10:39 PM
Has Mika raced anything since he left? A one-off rally? Sports cars?

cart7
07-11-04, 07:14 PM
"I have met with Mika, we had a long conversation and I can honestly say that not only do I not know but I don't think he knows either," he said.

"It is something that he is reflecting on.

"We discussed everything, and the decision and timing of anything in Mika's career is his and there isn't anybody or any company or any individual impeding that.

"Mika sought my opinion, I gave him my opinion and he went back to Finland to consider the position."

In a nutshell.

MH - So Ron, do you think Frank might give me a test?

RD - I don't know, I've heard both seats may be locked already, what have you heard?

MH - Nothing. I'll guess I'll go home tomorrow and give Frank a call.

Joe in LA
07-12-04, 12:23 PM

He has done at least one rally in a Mitsubishi arranged through Daimler-Chrysler. I believe he was planning to do a race in a 911, but I'm not sure if he did.

Easy
07-12-04, 12:45 PM

He's done a handful of rounds in the Scandinavian Rally Championship.

The Doctor
07-13-04, 02:24 PM
The comments of former McLaren team-mate David Coulthard are the clearest indicator yet that the 'Flying Finn' is targeting a return to Formula One.

Previously, Coulthard said he had 'no doubt' Mika had quit forever.

Now, adding to Ron Dennis' similar comments, he tells the Evening Standard: ''I think there's been a few things happening ... and he wants to [come back]. Whether it's realistic or not who knows.''

Coulthard is surprised only because Mika told him the reason for hanging up the blue helmet in late '01 was because he ''didn't have the commitment [any more]… [And] because of his family.''

But Formula One would welcome the lop-sided smiling Finn back. ''Absolutely,'' David grinned. ''I just hope he has got the 100 per cent commitment back. Otherwise it could all end in tears.''

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html