PDA

View Full Version : Philippe Out, Gidley In -- Effective immediately

The Doctor
07-09-04, 12:15 PM
AR1 is good for something. No Nelson in morning practice, this explains why:

Gidley to replace Philippe According to Rocketsports team owner Paul Gentilozzi, Memo Gidley will replace Nelson Philippe effective immediately. "We had a contractual dispute with Nelson and Memo will take over the car effective immediately," said Gentilozzi. "We are not sure about the rest of the season, but we are also talking to Michael Valiante. We tried to get him here this weekend, but it was too much to pull together at the last minute. He is also working a deal with Walker Racing and we don't want to interfere with that."

Insomniac
07-09-04, 02:26 PM
AR1 is good for something. No Nelson in morning practice, this explains why:

Gidley to replace Philippe According to Rocketsports team owner Paul Gentilozzi, Memo Gidley will replace Nelson Philippe effective immediately. "We had a contractual dispute with Nelson and Memo will take over the car effective immediately," said Gentilozzi. "We are not sure about the rest of the season, but we are also talking to Michael Valiante. We tried to get him here this weekend, but it was too much to pull together at the last minute. He is also working a deal with Walker Racing and we don't want to interfere with that."

When I saw the thread title, I thought, how did he lose his ride, he bought it! But, now I know. Good for Memo. Although, it may only be a one-off.

Madmaxfan2
07-09-04, 02:32 PM
Score one for the good guys! :thumbup: :cool:

devilmaster
07-09-04, 02:52 PM
Gidley might not make it in the car today.......

Odds are he was there to be the colour commentator for the Canadian race broadcast on Global, just as he did last year.

he's probably sent for his gear and seat.... (he used to own his own lola and reynard seats)

Steve

RaceGrrl
07-09-04, 03:33 PM
Good to see Phillipe gone, but I'd prefer Valiente over Gidley.

IlliniRacer
07-09-04, 03:43 PM
"We had a contractual dispute with Nelson and Memo will take over the car effective immediately," said Gentilozzi.

Probably the "Slow and Crappy Clause"

Steve99
07-09-04, 03:55 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Does Memo still bring his helmet and seat to all the races?

Maybe Valiente will work a deal with Walker and we can have both of them.

Lizzerd
07-09-04, 04:57 PM
This is a good thing. Fabio had no business in that seat to begin with. Regardless whether his ride buying checks cleared or not, I'm wondering if there may have been a performance clause attached to the contract. Paying the weekly bills is one thing, but the prize money with higher finishes sure does help, too.

Along those lines, does anybody know what the prize structure is this year under OWRS? It used to be $100K, $60K, $50K... etc...

Easy
07-09-04, 05:38 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Does Memo still bring his helmet and seat to all the races?

Maybe Valiente will work a deal with Walker and we can have both of them.

He wasn't in Toronto today. Champweb is saying he'll arrive tonight and run in qualifying tomorrow.

Rogue Leader
07-09-04, 07:12 PM
THANK GOD....

Racing Truth
07-09-04, 07:21 PM

:laugh:

Well, whoever gets in, Valiente or Gidley, is certainly deserving. Good luck to both.

See ya in a few yrs. Fabio.

Rogue Leader
07-09-04, 07:29 PM
:laugh:

Well, whoever gets in, Valiente or Gidley, is certainly deserving. Good luck to both.

See ya in a few yrs. Fabio.

The lame part about fabio is it was such an obvious ridebuy. I mean its not like he was some phenom like 'Dinger who just kicked everyones ass, he was a backmarker in the Barber Dodge Pro series, and then he jumps right in a champcar. Totally lame, totally over his head, and if he ever did have a chance to be a contender later in life it went out the window because he will always have this stigma of SUCKING in the first half of the 2004 season.

DaveL
07-09-04, 08:15 PM
I'd have liked to have seen Fogarty get a shot, but anything is better than Fabio. From what I saw he couldn't drive a shopping cart (no pun) much less a Champcar.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
07-09-04, 09:24 PM
The lame part about fabio is it was such an obvious ridebuy. I mean its not like he was some phenom like 'Dinger who just kicked everyones ass, he was a backmarker in the Barber Dodge Pro series, and then he jumps right in a champcar. Totally lame, totally over his head, and if he ever did have a chance to be a contender later in life it went out the window because he will always have this stigma of SUCKING in the first half of the 2004 season.

That is the reality of motorsport.

Ankf00
07-09-04, 09:54 PM
it's not like camathias or gonzales or lavin are any better, but oh well, at least another wanker is gone

audi quattro
07-09-04, 09:55 PM
Gidley might not make it in the car today.......

Odds are he was there to be the colour commentator for the Canadian race broadcast on Global, just as he did last year.

he's probably sent for his gear and seat.... (he used to own his own lola and reynard seats)

Steve

Global lists this years announcers as Chris McClure and Jon Beekhuis

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1089238210685&call_pageid=1044529390035&col=1044529387291

Methanolandbrats
07-09-04, 10:03 PM
Does Paul have enough spare tubs?

Turn7
07-09-04, 10:08 PM
Damn! and I was just about ready to roll out my semi-official fanclub page for him and everything.

Stupid French bastages always sending up the white flag. :cry: :eek:

Railbird
07-09-04, 10:08 PM
Fabio sucks but he hasn't caused much carnage, let's see how this plays out with Memo before it's proclaimed a great deal.

Like Ank said the wanker count has merely dropped.

Winston Wolfe
07-10-04, 12:01 AM
Damn! and I was just about ready to roll out my semi-official fanclub page for him and everything.

Stupid French bastages always sending up the white flag. :cry: :eek:

The thought of Fabio trying to do laps at LVMS is frightening :eek:

I think he would have required us to find someone to do a translation for "***king Hiro" in French.

nrc
07-10-04, 12:15 AM
Huh? What's all this tub talk? Outside of the well known Road America incident I don't recall Memo tearing up a lot of equipment.

Ruben Barrios
07-10-04, 12:29 AM
"it's not like camathias or gonzales or lavin are any better, but oh well, at least another wanker is gone"

Beg to differ, Gonzalez is putting a good show, Lavin has improved, and he never was as slow as NP... Joel was running a POS car, so we can't really tell... NP is was in a competitive car in a competitive team (Just ask Tag)... No excuse for him!!!

mapguy
07-10-04, 06:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! (http://sunshinegirl.canoe.ca/TorontoSunshine/ssb_fri.html)

Rob
07-10-04, 07:11 AM
Huh? What's all this tub talk? Outside of the well known Road America incident I don't recall Memo tearing up a lot of equipment.
Nelson was never fast enough to worry about a spare. :D

Cam
07-10-04, 07:27 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! (http://sunshinegirl.canoe.ca/TorontoSunshine/ssb_home.html)

That's just, just, errrrrmm ...... :rolleyes: :eek:

Beevis
07-10-04, 10:38 AM
The lame part about fabio is it was such an obvious ridebuy. I mean its not like he was some phenom like 'Dinger who just kicked everyones ass, he was a backmarker in the Barber Dodge Pro series, and then he jumps right in a champcar.
Fabio sucked in shifter karts too. Despite what he claims on his CART.com bio, he never won the King of the Streets shifter race. Scott Speed won that year.

Old3Fan
07-10-04, 11:42 AM
I just saw that Philippe was in Practice #3. What gives. I thought Memo was in. :confused:

OK when you are working on 73 years old you can be confused sometimes.
Sorry about the mistake. Memo is in :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
07-10-04, 11:54 AM

that is by far one of the most ultra gay things I have ever seen... I have to go out and kill something now with my bare hands just to regain the masculinity I lost by seeing that!

TravelGal
07-10-04, 12:21 PM

Oh man, what a way to ruin a perfectly good qualifying Saturday. :rolleyes: I think I have to go wash my eyes out with soap, figuratively speaking of course.

Ankf00
07-10-04, 12:25 PM
"it's not like camathias or gonzales or lavin are any better, but oh well, at least another wanker is gone"

Beg to differ, Gonzalez is putting a good show, Lavin has improved, and he never was as slow as NP... Joel was running a POS car, so we can't really tell... NP is was in a competitive car in a competitive team (Just ask Tag)... No excuse for him!!!

Lavin learned how to turn left, good for him

pchall
07-10-04, 12:30 PM
16 M. Gidley 17 Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone 1:01.945 101.994 164.143 2.181 0.281

Somebody needs to spray Memo down with WD-40. Major rust there.

TravelGal
07-10-04, 01:02 PM

Absolutely true. It's been way too long since he's been in a champ car. I'm too lazy to look it up but did they even have these specs when he was driving?

theunions
07-10-04, 01:28 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up but did they even have these specs when he was driving?

The only time he's been in a current spec car was last year's Laguna Seca open test in the not-yet-yellow #11 Coyne Lola...which burst an oil fitting and allowed him to do a grand total of one half lap. :shakehead

How many laps did he actually do in session #3?

theunions
07-10-04, 01:58 PM

From Champweb:

-M-E-M-O is what a group of fans started chanting as Memo climbed from his car in this morning's practice session. Despite the fact that the car isn't even close to being race ready, Memo still turned a time faster than Alex Sperafico and Gaston Mazzacanne. Of course, the first session for Memo was more of an adjustment period for the weight and brake bias, not to mention getting used to the 750hp Champ Car again. Tagliani was 5th fastest in the session and will be interesting how Alex's setup will help Memo throughout the weekend.

Amanda B.'s Mom
07-10-04, 02:47 PM
OK, did anyone really expect memo to be able to jump into a car and be in the top 10? Of course this session was a time for him to get used to a Champ Car again and a time to get the car adjusted to his needs. We will have to see what qualifying and the race bring.

Ruben Barrios
07-10-04, 03:06 PM
He was competitive in the Target car back then..... Just bear in mind that NP probably had that car so badly set-up that it'll take at least 200 laps just to get it back to spec....

pchall
07-10-04, 03:13 PM
He was competitive in the Target car back then..... Just bear in mind that NP probably had that car so badly set-up that it'll take at least 200 laps just to get it back to spec....

LOL. All Rocketsports needs to do is put it back to the setups from last year at TO. Not that hard a job. :shakehead

TedN
07-10-04, 06:28 PM
Nelson was never fast enough to worry about a spare. :D

Nelson Responds (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040710/INDYSIDE10/TPSports/Other)

Ted

DaveL
07-10-04, 07:13 PM
Fabio is a jerk. Just read on:

"I adjusted pretty well to Champ Car, but the problem is that the engineer side is struggling a lot and it's tough for me," he said in an earlier interview.

What, did he get Sarah's cue cards? At least Sarah would say she's sorry. Hey Nelson, you're the one doing the driving.

"It's hard to come in to a team that was put together at the last moment, and now we are seeing that maybe it was a bit too quick."

Yeah, that's really hurting Allmendinger.

"My car is fairly old, I don't all have the right pieces for it yet because it all came together late, and I'm handicapped by that," said Philippe.

And car was handicapped by the defective piece between the throttle and headrest.

I hope this clown never turns another lap in a Champcar.

Rogue Leader
07-10-04, 07:59 PM
Nelson Responds (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040710/INDYSIDE10/TPSports/Other)

Ted

LMAO what a load.... The team was making fun of how much he SUCKED ASS and didnt belong there and he finally figured it out... HE BLOWS....

Spicoli
07-10-04, 08:14 PM
IIRC - isn;t his Engineer Robin Hill?

Yeah - he sucks. :rolleyes:

Cam
07-10-04, 08:20 PM

Ted

Like some cheese with that wine Fabio? :rolleyes:

Rogue Leader
07-10-04, 08:23 PM
IIRC - isn;t his Engineer Robin Hill?

Yeah - he sucks. :rolleyes:

I think they even complimented how "good" and "professional" NP was in the first race at LB.... :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
07-10-04, 08:49 PM
It's good to see Memo back in action. I hope like hell he outdoes Tag(s) in the race.

Dr. Corkski
07-10-04, 09:13 PM
The official reason for the split was a contractual dispute between the team and Philippe's manager parents, but the young driver was critical of the team's progress this season and seemed to be losing patience with the second-year outfit.

And just to think everyone was saying how you have to be patient with this douchebag because he might be the next Jourdain. :laugh:

Ruben Barrios
07-10-04, 09:46 PM
Well it's not like NP could wait all year for the team to come around, I mean, he coud pop a zit in a New York minute, can't have that, not with that male model (mimbo). What a load of cr@p.

Go back to smelling and being a wuss!!! Go back to le dump where you came from....... Au revoir perdant, malodorant!!! Imbécile!!! Conducteur tres lent!!!

Ok, so I don't speak french, so sue me!!!