PDA

View Full Version : Pocono Raceway

Rogue Leader
07-08-04, 10:16 PM
Im back, and Pocono was kickass... I had a great time and due to the fact this was a one-off (Skip Barber) we got a lot of extra track time. I am SOOO freeking beat, as we drove ALLLLLLLLLLLL day the past 2 days, 35 minute continuous lapping sessions. I learned many things:

1. Safer barriers are just as scary looking as real walls... luckily I didnt meet one (but came close)
2. in relation to #1... the safer barrier does end at some point... that part is scarier... missed that by a few inches ;)
3. I'm a pretty good driver, until I run out of balls... I need to find more.
4. I'm a wimp I need to work out more.
5. I wish my parents got me a kart as a kid, then I would be much faster.
6. jumping the start isnt cheating when you anticipate the flagman and jump it before he can pull back :)

I really do have the techniques down now, and I can be fast at times, but in reality I need a lot of practice and track time to be competitive... And thus is the eternal problem of racing, how big is your wallet?.....

The actual point of this though is somewhere on here we were discussing the condition of the track in some post about the NASCAB race there, so I said Id get back to everyone on the condition. After running on the track I can say in person its in MUCH BETTER SHAPE than on TV. The oval section is less bumpy than Daytona (I ran there in December), the south infield road course, while not "brilliant" in design is in perfect shape, basically smooth, and even has decent grip in the rain. Probably because nobody ever races on it much except track days and stuff. Tons more grip than Daytonas infield section (which is in terrible shape). I was honestly impressed by Pocono as on TV it looked kinda dumpy but in person it really wasnt bad at all, and much smoother than it seems.

cart7
07-08-04, 10:23 PM
2 things. Pine trees for catch fencing and guardrails along the infield back stretch before the tunnel turn. Ask Steve Park about those. ;)

Rogue Leader
07-08-04, 10:26 PM
2 things. Pine trees for catch fencing and guardrails along the infield back stretch before the tunnel turn. Ask Steve Park about those. ;)

The instructors hopped in the spare cars and came out to mix it up with us and made the comment ".... so yeah we will be out there, wheel to wheel with you guys.... and theres no catch fences.... are we THAT stupid??"

Luckily noone smacked anything up ... however I could see a formula car getting launched to the moon without a catch fence installed, especially with that insanely long main straight....

FRANKY
07-08-04, 10:55 PM
Soooooo cool. What was top speed or times? Howd ya do? Same car all sessions??

Rogue Leader
07-08-04, 11:10 PM
Soooooo cool. What was top speed or times? Howd ya do? Same car all sessions??

It was Skip Barber advanced 2-day school, so no timing. The cars hit about 130 on the banking in 5th. They'll hit close to 140 at Daytona in a draft (tried it its fun!). We use the same car all sessions (unless you wreck it lol). In order to compete in the series (Barber Dodge regional or national) you need to complete a certain amount of practice, I did this cause its a ton of track time for cheaper than a normal practice day, and it counts for practice credit. Unfortunately I dont know if I have the funding to do any races... I need a sponsor... :cry:

Rogue Leader
07-16-04, 08:06 AM
Pictures!!

http://iris.nyit.edu/~tlomino/pocono7803/

also some old pics from when I ran at Daytona in December:

http://iris.nyit.edu/~tlomino/daytona121503/

Railbird
07-16-04, 08:11 AM
very cool

RacinM3
07-16-04, 11:06 AM
Nice! I can attest from my experience racing at CA Speedway - at 150+ through T1 and T2 before the track splits off to the road course, the SAFER barrier looks just as hard as concrete. A suspension failure in either corner does not bear thinking about. :eek:

Andrew Longman
07-19-04, 01:31 PM
Cool

I did Bertle Roos at Pocono in 2001 in F2000s.

It looks like you did the south course using Nascar T1? That's what I did, but oddly we ran it counter-clockwise and you did it clockwise. Hmm.

Rogue Leader
07-19-04, 06:57 PM
Cool

I did Bertle Roos at Pocono in 2001 in F2000s.

It looks like you did the south course using Nascar T1? That's what I did, but oddly we ran it counter-clockwise and you did it clockwise. Hmm.

.... I think you got your directions mixxed up we did it counter clockwise, its supposed to be done clockwise. It was the south course though yes.

The Bertle Roos guys were down there too. They were speeding through the garage area in the cars! Their cars are LOUD.

Rogue Leader
07-19-04, 06:58 PM
Nice! I can attest from my experience racing at CA Speedway - at 150+ through T1 and T2 before the track splits off to the road course, the SAFER barrier looks just as hard as concrete. A suspension failure in either corner does not bear thinking about. :eek:

Oh yes i agree... I almost needed a pit stop for an underwear change after that one!