PDA

View Full Version : Tagliani Ignored A Black Flag at Portland, ChampCar Officials Mess Up Again

Insomniac
07-08-04, 01:50 PM
The story is at http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/11906/

Most relevant parts:

The problem is, many drivers are decidedly skeptical about the officials’ ability to consistently follow-through on these and other issues. In addition to the interminable delay in announcing the penalties on Bourdais and Carpentier at Cleveland, officials didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory by giving Tagliani a black flag at Portland for blocking Tracy during the race, then rescinding the black flag when Tagliani refused to acknowledge the flag.

On the international television broadcast from Cleveland, vp of operations John Lopes called Tagliani’s decision to ignore the black flag “the cardinal sin” of racing in explaining why the Rocketsports driver was subsequently docked two championship points. The episode hardly inspired confidence in the Champ Car officials’ resolve among the series’ skeptics, not least of which are its drivers. In fact, one in four drivers declined to attend a “voluntary” meeting with Lopes on Friday at Cleveland, during which officiating and the penalties assessed at Portland were on the agenda.

“It’s a waste of time,” said Tracy. “I’ve been going to these meetings for 13 years and nothing ever changes. It’s just a lot of lip service.”

That is a complete joke. They let him ignore it. Ignore the numerous blue flags while driving lap after lap blocking Tracy. They only dock him 2 points (one whole position). They will never get it right.

They love to analogize their officiating to baseball. Well, why don't they start acting like them? Use the thing between your ears. If you see something that looks like blocking, assess the penalty. All decisions are final. Use your instincts in real-time. Data analysis, benefit of the doubt, tie goes to the runner, who's in charge?

nrc
07-08-04, 11:53 PM
The story is at
That is a complete joke. They let him ignore it. Ignore the numerous blue flags while driving lap after lap blocking Tracy. They only dock him 2 points (one whole position). They will never get it right.

I'm tired of people expecting to be let by when they're nowhere close. Get up there and stick your nose in you big crybaby. Give the fans a show of something besides cars circulating.

As for the black flag, since it wasn't mentioned in the race notes I suspect was a black flag warning for failing to let Tracy pass, not a full blown waving black flag.

Steve99
07-09-04, 01:00 AM
I'm gonna have to go with nrc on this one. If Tracy wanted by he should at least have made an attempt. And there was no mention of a black flag for Tag on the broadcast or in RD. Is the invisible black flag kinda like the special "one lap down" probation from last year?

Robstar
07-09-04, 01:03 AM
I'm tired of people expecting to be let by when they're nowhere close. Get up there and stick your nose in you big crybaby. Give the fans a show of something besides cars circulating.

As for the black flag, since it wasn't mentioned in the race notes I suspect was a black flag warning for failing to let Tracy pass, not a full blown waving black flag.

Here, here - They may have warned him by showing it to him, but if Tracy wanted a crack, he coulda,shoulda,woulda...

Insomniac
07-09-04, 02:24 PM

I agree with you and said it before. Tracy should at least try to pass and make it clear he is being held up and/or blocked.

It wasn't mentioned in the race notes becuase they withdrew it after he ignored it. They're supposed to stop scoring him, not let him ignore it. To me is shows either the stewards messed up and never should've shown a black flag or Tags showed complete disespect to the stewards and they allowed it (while fining PT and BJ, in addition to holding 10 points in abeyance for the rest iof the season for criticizing them). I'd only question the call to throw the black flag if they had been throwing the blue flag and he was ignoring that.

Car-B-Q
07-09-04, 11:05 PM

Is there a difference between a "displayed" black flag vs. a "waving" black flag? :confused: I thought a black flag was displayed with car # and they had X number of laps to acknowledge it or scoring would be stopped for them.

nrc
07-09-04, 11:53 PM
Is there a difference between a "displayed" black flag vs. a "waving" black flag? :confused: I thought a black flag was displayed with car # and they had X number of laps to acknowledge it or scoring would be stopped for them.

My recollection from when they first talked about the current blue flag rules was that if someone disregarded the blue flag they would be given a black flag warning - furled black flag. If they still failed to yield they would get the actual waved black flag.