PDA

View Full Version : LVMS/OW Trivia

SurfaceUnits
07-07-04, 11:56 PM
What current ChampCar driver has driven in a "top level" open wheel race at LVMS? Hint: :gomer:

devilmaster
07-08-04, 12:02 AM
i'm taking a wild stab, but i'll say Jourdain Jr.

He ran irl for the first little while.....

Like I said, i'm just guessing, so i'm probably wrong.... (story of my life ;) )

Steve

theunions
07-08-04, 12:05 AM
MJ is correct...finished 2nd to Hearn in the Herdez-sponsored Scandia #22 Lola in the last IRL race of 1996 (and his last series appearance), so for many years that stood as his best career "Indycar" finish.

theunions
07-08-04, 12:12 AM
Not LVMS, but here's a related trivia question...besides Al Jr., there are two (to my knowledge) drivers who participated in the second and last CART Ceasar's Palace GP two decades ago and who have actively competed as a driver in a major league event (not ChampCar) this calendar year. Name them.

CART T. Katz
07-08-04, 12:18 AM
this is a WAG

one of them was pruett? i can't think of another guy

Lizzerd
07-08-04, 12:22 AM
Al Jr.?

Lizzerd
07-08-04, 12:28 AM
Another WAG... Sullivan? I think he drove in the Daytona 24 this year? Maybe?

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-04, 12:30 AM
Al Jr.?

Not LVMS, but here's a related trivia question...besides Al Jr., there are two (to my knowledge) drivers who participated in the second and last CART Ceasar's Palace GP two decades ago and who have actively competed as a driver in a major league event (not ChampCar) this calendar year. Name them.

Sullivan is one (Sebring and Le Mans this year), I'm not sure who the other is. Ongais maybe?

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-04, 12:34 AM
Nevermind, the second one is Pete Halsmer, who has been racing in Grand-Am GT this year.

Ed_Severson
07-08-04, 12:39 AM
Pete Halsmer drove in the 24 Hours of Daytona. I'm not sure about the other one.

Lizzerd
07-08-04, 01:30 AM
Al Jr.?

Oops... should have read the post better... never mind...

Lizzerd
07-08-04, 01:33 AM
Pete Halsmer drove in the 24 Hours of Daytona. I'm not sure about the other one.

It' s Sullivan. Na na na na naaa naaa, Sean. I said it first, but I was wrong about the race(s). :D

theunions
07-08-04, 01:58 AM
Sullivan (pole sitter in '84 but finished 18th after a spin) and Halsmer (started 20th, finished 9th) are indeed correct. Al Jr. started 16th and finished 4th.

Pruett's first CART start did not come until Long Beach '88. Ongais' most recent race was the Homestead Grand-Am finale in 2002. I remember first reading about that the weekend before in the LA Times while in the Fontana media lounge. Tragically, I was already long committed to being in Phoenix for NASCAR the following weekend. :cry: