PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Cleveland at Night

JohnHKart
07-07-04, 07:14 PM
I was surprised to turn on Spike on Sunday and find out that Cleveland wasn't at night. Was this a cost cutting move...Sorry that no doubt it's an already covered subject but I missed the thread. Just did a search though, is it true it was daytime so as not to compete with any July 4 celebrations? (Still couldn't find an exact reason) Which seems wierd because it was on the third not the fourth.

John

Mr. Vengeance
07-07-04, 07:16 PM
IIRC, the cost of lighting was HUGE.... Probably 'splains it.

Sure was cool, though.

Opposite Lock
07-07-04, 08:01 PM
Due to the periodic oscillation of our planet on its axis, at this time of year in Cleveland Ohio, it doesn't get dark until around 10 pm or so. And since the race was held at 5 pm, it just wasn't technically possible to get it dark enough for a night race.

Sorry. I'm pretty sure it was the huge cost issue. :)

Rob
07-07-04, 09:16 PM
The fact that it wasn't held at night brings up another question. Why wasn't it held on Sunday instead? I think a Sunday race crowd would have been bigger because it would have allowed people who were, say, 300-600 miles (like me, for instance) to spend two full days at the track and take a leisurely drive home on the Monday holiday.

The only reason that comes to mind is that perhaps they were planning on another Saturday evening race when dealing with the FAA, and when they changed their minds and made it a day race it was too late to switch the date. Hopefully that will be rectified next year.

Andrew Longman
07-08-04, 07:02 AM
The fact that it wasn't held at night brings up another question. Why wasn't it held on Sunday instead? I think a Sunday race crowd would have been bigger because it would have allowed people who were, say, 300-600 miles (like me, for instance) to spend two full days at the track and take a leisurely drive home on the Monday holiday.

The only reason that comes to mind is that perhaps they were planning on another Saturday evening race when dealing with the FAA, and when they changed their minds and made it a day race it was too late to switch the date. Hopefully that will be rectified next year.

I saw a quote from the promoter saying that she wanted to avoid the 4th because she felt people would already have plans. The Thursday start did hurt the 3 day total I'm sure though.

Spicoli
07-08-04, 07:13 AM
Why wasn't Cleveland at Night?

Because it was during the day.\

:gomer:

SurfaceUnits
07-08-04, 09:59 AM
Because the lighting company was unavailable due to another event, or it would have been under the lights.

pfc_m_drake
07-08-04, 11:05 AM
Because the lighting company was unavailable due to another event, or it would have been under the lights.

No. It was pure dollars.

Gentilozzi also said it is not out of the realm of possibility that a night race could return to the lakefront.

"It's a great idea," Gentilozzi said. "But there is a financial and logistical burden that goes with it. As the race gathers more success, we can afford to do that. Obviously, it's a lot of fun. And the race could probably then be a two-day event, two 12-plus hours of racing. But we need more bodies, more people to make that happen."

http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1089019827102130.xml

SurfaceUnits
07-08-04, 11:38 AM
Not this year, it was scheduling.

pfc_m_drake
07-08-04, 11:49 AM
Not this year, it was scheduling.
You can believe that if you want, but I think the quote from Paul G. is pretty clear.