PDA

View Full Version : Attention wine lovers!

Anteater
07-07-04, 02:33 PM
Here’s some news for the wine & cheese crowd (and who among us is not? ;) ):

BERKELEY – "Two Buck Chuck," the California wine famous for its low price, proved to be worth its weight in gold to judges in a New York competition.

A Charles Shaw shiraz – Charles Shaw is Two Buck Chuck's formal name – made it to the finals of the International Eastern Wine Competition, one of 53 from 2,300 entries.

The news was a bit of a stunner for the wine world, where high praise is often accompanied by high prices. But for Ceres-based Bronco Wine Co., makers of Charles Shaw, the honor was vintage vindication.

"First the people spoke and now the critics have spoken," said Bronco spokesman Harvey Posert.

Charles Shaw, which is carried exclusively by the Trader Joe's grocery chain, sells for $1.99 in California, although it can cost more elsewhere.

The wine's success created a new category of wines known as "supervalues," which last year accounted for about 13 percent of California wine sales, said analyst Jon Fredrikson.

At the East Coast competition, a panel of four judges agreed the Charles Shaw shiraz – a red wine with a ripe berry flavor – was worth a gold medal, giving it the "double gold" status that puts it in the sweepstakes for best of category. Those results were to be released tonight in Corning, N.Y.

Two Buck's showing reportedly caused chagrin at the competition after the blind tasting.

But Richard Leahy, editor of Vineyard and Winery Magazine, saw a silver lining.

"I think it's good news for the consumer that a wine at this price point is also that good," he said.

:rofl: Funniest bit of news I’ve read in ages. Actually, the Charles Shaw reds are not half-bad if you let them breathe for a while.

Dave99
07-07-04, 02:37 PM
Ok, thanks for the story Anteater.

This sounds like something my brother, a self-described wine afficionado (snob), would enjoy reading. :D

He calls Two Buck Chuck "Potpourri" :laugh:

Anteater
07-07-04, 02:41 PM
Sorry, Dave99; I saw that and posted the whole AP story.

Ankf00
07-07-04, 06:38 PM
my sister and her bf go back to san fran every year and load up their GTI full of the stuff to bring back here

oddlycalm
07-07-04, 09:44 PM
:rofl: Funniest bit of news I’ve read in ages. Actually, the Charles Shaw reds are not half-bad if you let them breathe for a while.

Funny stuff, and the joke is on the event judges. "Not half bad if allowed to breathe" is right on the mark Anteater. I use Shaw a lot in cooking and also make a red wine based BBQ sauce with two of their reds. It doesn't have any off flavors so that when it cooks down and concentrates it's a very full flavor. The Australians are able to crank out an amazing amount of good Bordeaux varietals, and there is currently a serious glut in the market.

That said, the judges at this event need to go back and learn their basics. Absense of off flavors doesn't equate to great wine. As far as a "ripe berry flavor", um, that's pretty much what one expects of ripe red berries... :gomer: Makes me wonder about the wine they were judging it against. ;)

Robstar
07-07-04, 10:01 PM
Makes me wonder about the wine they were judging it against. ;)

Exactly...

Fitti Fan
07-08-04, 09:45 AM
It's made in Ceres, Ca? :eek: I'd put that glass down right now if I were you!

CARTNUT
07-10-04, 03:01 AM
We spent a few days in Sonoma back in April. Visited a little town called Healdsburg where they have several store front wine tasting rooms. The girl from Toad Hollow was making fun of "Two Buck Chuck" cause the wife (wino) let it slip that that's what we (she mostly) usually drinks. But honestly, I think it's more suitable to my taste than most of the wines we sampled that day (until we hit about the fifth place. By then I really couldn't tell the difference between a Merlot and a Mr. Pibb! What fun that was!)

BTW - If you ever visit Healdsburg, CA, please be forwarned: They aim to get you tipsy so you buy the wine! And after visiting SEVERAL wine tasting shops, you may be walking around DRUNK(???) and have to go to the bathroom. The only public restrooms in the town are located IN THE HEALDSBURG POLICE STATION!!!!! :saywhat:

'NUT :gomer:

Anteater
07-13-04, 09:38 PM
LOL, CARTNUT! Thanks for the tip. We haven't been to Healdsburg yet, but will be sure to avoid the public restroom if we ever visit the wine-tasting rooms. It sounds like the wine snobs in the tasting rooms there are on a par with those at the Hess Winery in Napa, where we were informed that a particular Chardonnay had been "adapted for the American palate". :gomer: Then we went on to admire the collection of modern art on the premises, including an old Remington typewriter with flaming gas jets hooked up to it. No comment as to whether this exhibit had been adapted for the American palate.

Anyway, I have purchased a bottle of the award-winning Charles Shaw Shiraz at Trader Joe's and will report on my opinion of same after I taste it. If I survive, that is. Uh, Fitti Fan, what do we need to know about about Ceres????

Anteater
07-20-04, 10:21 PM
Well folks, I have tasted the "Two Buck Chuck" Shiraz and found it good! It reminds me of Oregon blackberries. I am not as eloquent as the wine connoisseur who wrote of another Shiraz:

"The deep, dense colour prepares you for the onslaught of aroma and flavour. With mocha, chocolate and hedgerow fruit on the nose and black cherries and chocolate liqueur on the palate, this is very smooth and full-bodied with a very long length. A truly excellent example of a Barossa Shiraz. Serve with rich meat casseroles, chilli con carne or barbecue sauce dishes."

Don't you just love wine snobs? As for me, I'm really spinnin' on this "Two Buck Chuck" stuff! :D :thumbup:

Lizzerd
07-20-04, 10:28 PM
The most important question: If you drink enough of it, will you get drunk? :) :)