PDA

View Full Version : Prost to CCWS?

TedN
07-06-04, 07:02 PM
Gossip item over at Champweb. First I've heard of this.

Word in the Champ Car paddock, according to multiple sources, is that Alain Prost is extremely close at fielding a Champ Car team for the 2005 season. If the deal comes to fruition, it would be a huge addition for the Champ Car World Series as Prost would bring a huge amount of European interest into the series

Ted

RTKar
07-06-04, 07:12 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, but I'd love to see him walking around the paddock.

FCYTravis
07-06-04, 07:32 PM
Silly Season just got a little sillier :rofl:

mapguy
07-06-04, 07:42 PM
Just what CCWS needs, a 'Freedom' Team... :D

Dr. Corkski
07-06-04, 08:23 PM
That ought to make some blind old crusty journo very happy.

Railbird
07-06-04, 08:40 PM
fun fantasy

One of the modern era's great drivers

After falling on his face as an F1 owner he turns to America to rejuvinate.

nah..

unless you can somehow draw a link to Spicoli's latest claim.

Prost
Bourdais
French Fries

anyone? :gomer:

GOFAST1
07-06-04, 08:56 PM
That would make a great news and direction. :thumbup:

stroker
07-06-04, 09:42 PM
He might be a Frog, but at least he'd be OUR Frog.

:)

BNica
07-06-04, 09:51 PM
He might be a Frog, but at least he'd be OUR Frog.

:)

Nice foreign policy analogy.

nissan gtp
07-06-04, 10:14 PM
fun fantasy

One of the modern era's great drivers

After falling on his face as an F1 owner he turns to America to rejuvinate.

nah..

unless you can somehow draw a link to Spicoli's latest claim.

Prost
Bourdais
French Fries

anyone? :gomer:

agree on Prost as a driver :thumbup: and as an owner :shakehead

Spicoli-scoopage..... interesting.

redmist
07-06-04, 10:45 PM
sounds like fantasy, but if true, it might help get michelin should bridgestone bail as rumored

Opposite Lock
07-06-04, 10:57 PM
Not holding my breath, but The Professor as owner would be a very cool addition to our series. Interesting that he'd choose us over F1, though not that surprising, given the relative costs.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-04, 11:11 PM
Not holding my breath, but The Professor as owner would be a very cool addition to our series. Interesting that he'd choose us over F1, though not that surprising, given the relative costs.

And given that he already failed as an F1 team owner once...

Coldfart
07-07-04, 12:06 AM
Maybe he's trying to follow in Emmo's footsteps by being an F1 World Champion to have teams fail in F1 AND Champ Car. Will his drivers will be Tom Kristensen and Jacques Villeneuve?

Not going to happen folks...plenty of other speculation doing the rounds that have legs and Prost was one short SOB.

Lizzerd
07-07-04, 12:35 AM
Whoa, there... internet rumor fantasy or not, I think Alain Prost would be a wonderful addition to Champ Car. I think it would be cool if he would bring Jean Alesi along as a driver, too. Yeah, he failed as an F1 owner, but what did he buy in F1, Liger (answer: yes)? Not a world beater to begin with.

I don't know why anybody would consider Prost a failure as a Champ Car owner, if indeed he ever becomes one. Consider that he is likely not a pauper and could field a team at a tenth of his past F1 budget.

More internet discussion fodder? Perhaps.

Interesting to speculate upon? Definately.

Coldfart
07-07-04, 02:35 AM
Yeah, he failed as an F1 owner, but what did he buy in F1, Liger (answer: yes)? Not a world beater to begin with.
For a team that was in contention for wins and podium spots when he first took over in 1997, it certainly went down the tubes rather quickly after he begin to make his mark on the team. There was a great article a few years ago in F1 Racing about the downfall of the Prost F1 team. It shed a lot of light on why the team crumbled, *IIRC* mainly from Prost being sheltered from many of the team's problems and swindled by his manager...talk about someone ready for Methanol Lane, hire Larry Curry, Fred Nation and just add water!

I don't know why anybody would consider Prost a failure as a Champ Car owner, if indeed he ever becomes one. Consider that he is likely not a pauper and could field a team at a tenth of his past F1 budget.
Same thing is true of Emmo. Ever seen his spread in Brazil? There's no way in hell they're going to spend their own money on racing, they're too used to having someone else foot the bill. Maybe he could do better at Champ Car, but I doubt it. Great drivers don't always translate into good car owners.

More internet discussion fodder? Perhaps.
Interesting to speculate upon? Definately.
Interesting? Absolutely. Is it likely? Nope.

Dr. Corkski
07-07-04, 02:37 AM
I would take Alesi anyday. :thumbup:

But Prost's problem in F1 wasn't the budget. He was lucky enough to have that to begin with. His problem, evident in his driving days, was that when things weren't perfect, he would go and blame everyone bar himself. Prost GP failed because he managed to piss away all his sponsors.

Ferdman
07-08-04, 03:30 AM
Maybe this "well known european driver" spoken of a few weeks ago wasn't coming over as a driver, but as an owner. This would be big. Hope it happens. I'd like to see him bring Alesi with him.