PDA

View Full Version : The Molson Indy Calgary?

devilmaster
07-06-04, 12:22 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=90222

Champ Car racing could be coming to the streets of Calgary in the near future.

The Toronto Star reports Molstar Sports and Entertainment vice-president Bob Singleton has had preliminary discussions with city officials in Calgary about the possibility of staging a fourth Molson Indy in Canada.

Steve

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-04, 12:29 PM
Theres no way it'll be a fourth race for Canada; it'll be a replacement for Vancouver.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt it.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-04, 12:55 PM
We don't need another street race.

jonovision_man
07-06-04, 01:46 PM
Theres no way it'll be a fourth race for Canada; it'll be a replacement for Vancouver.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt it.

I recall reading that the street course in Vancouver is in jeopardy due to the Winter Olympics causing some redevelopment in the area.

Calgary would be a worthy replacement, people there would support it... they get behind things like that, small city.

devilmaster
07-06-04, 01:49 PM
I recall reading that the street course in Vancouver is in jeopardy due to the Winter Olympics causing some redevelopment in the area.

Calgary would be a worthy replacement, people there would support it... they get behind things like that, small city.

With the strength of another city, Edmonton, only a couple hours away.

Steve

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-04, 01:53 PM
Hey, I don't doubt for a minute that it'd be a success; I just think that the painting of it as a "fourth race" is a bit questionable.

jonovision_man
07-06-04, 02:28 PM
Hey, I don't doubt for a minute that it'd be a success; I just think that the painting of it as a "fourth race" is a bit questionable.

I tend to agree, 4 races in Canada would be ambitious! At that point, Molson might as well buy the series. ;)

pchall
07-06-04, 02:49 PM
I tend to agree, 4 races in Canada would be ambitious! At that point, Molson might as well buy the series. ;)

Heck, could we just get Molson to buy the entire U.S. as well?

anait
07-06-04, 04:50 PM
That would be fantastic. :thumbup: We'd be there in a heartbeat, probably with the whole family.

Now...we need to get a Molson Indy Winnipeg...champcars screaming past Portage and Main?? Oh, yeah!!! :cool:

RTKar
07-06-04, 06:40 PM
We don't need another street race.

...especially in Canada. Three has Canada pretty well covered.

mapguy
07-06-04, 07:49 PM
Now if we could get Molson to brew a decent beer...

devilmaster
07-07-04, 02:24 AM
...especially in Canada. Three has Canada pretty well covered.

I'd agree but another Canadian race would probably be a profit maker instantly for ChampCar.

You go where the money is. If by going to Calgary ensures the financial viability of ChampCar (and by ChampCar being in the black ensures those races in the States that as fans we really love) then I'm for it.

I still say every promoter who wants to or already works with ChampCar should have to shadow in Molson's promotional department for awhile.

Steve