PDA

View Full Version : Another amazing MotoGP race

oddlycalm
07-05-04, 05:05 PM
Congratulations to Japan’s Makoto Tamada on his MotoGP victory. He rode the wheels off the bike in a bizarre race that saw points leaders Rossi and Gibernau both crash out of the race while chasing the leaders. Team mates Tamada and Biaggi had the place wired, but seeing Tamada go sailing by Biaggi was certainly an unexpected development for me. Obviously the Bridgestone tires did their bit, because Biaggi couldn't stay with Tamada at the end.

After a spectacular ride up through the field last week, Nicky Hayden's podium in Brazil is an indication his form seen at the end of last season is returning. It's good to see him qualify and finish well ahead of his teammate Barros for the first time this season.

Having two US riders on the front row was a nice surprise. While the Suzuki simply doesn't yet have the power to be competitive, Roberts gave it a good ride. Hayden on the other hand was clearly enjoying himself.

Very glad that Rossi and Gibernau are unharmed. Rossi rarely has offs, and I would have put the odds of both him and Gibernau falling as being somewhere between slim and none.

oc

The Doctor
07-05-04, 05:48 PM
A down weekend for my boy Val, but luckily Sete crashed as well and it was still an awesome race for my next favorite rider Nicky Hayden. Good to see him finally show some of that form from last season. Tamada on the Bridgestones -- wouldn't have expected that victory when competing against Biaggi on Michelins. Good for Tamada, though, to show that he can run up front too. I'm sure Bridgestone is thrilled. Great race, hoping for more from Nicky at Oschersleben and Rossi should be back on top there on the superior handling Yamaha, but should still be a good duel between Val and the Honda Gang.

oddlycalm
07-05-04, 06:15 PM
Tamada on the Bridgestones -- wouldn't have expected that victory when competing against Biaggi on Michelins. Good for Tamada, though, to show that he can run up front too.

Yeah, very surprising considering that KR said his Bridgestones went off toward the end. Different compounds perhaps.

oc

Chaos
07-06-04, 01:54 PM
Wow...cool race. Interesting to see that both Gibernau and Rossi drop out of the race. Rossi could've added points to his lead in the championship.

Do you all think Nicky Hayden is overrated?

Ankf00
07-06-04, 06:24 PM
Do you all think Nicky Hayden is overrated?

greatly ;)

Ankf00
07-06-04, 06:25 PM

lone_groover
07-06-04, 07:04 PM
I don't think Nicky's overrated at all......just that the wholesale defection of the Australian mafia to Yamaha has had a predictible effect on the fortunes of Repsol Honda.

Remember Benetton after Schumi took Brawn and his Limeys to Ferrari?

:)

Chaos
07-06-04, 07:26 PM
I don't think Nicky's overrated at all......just that the wholesale defection of the Australian mafia to Yamaha has had a predictible effect on the fortunes of Repsol Honda.

Remember Benetton after Schumi took Brawn and his Limeys to Ferrari?

:)

true, BUT bennetton was not the best car when MS et al left :)

Honda is still King in MotoGP despite Rossi's 4 wins on a Yamaha. He's the Beechler of MotoGP ;)

lone_groover
07-06-04, 07:47 PM
Point is, Repsol Honda would still be on top had Jeremy Burgess and the boyz stayed on; we're talking about THREE different teams here. Pons/Pramac suffered a devastating loss when chassis genius Antonio Cobas died this year, yet they're still doing better than the flagship Honda team; as is Gresini, which has even less of a "factory" status than Pons.

I guess you guys don't know how many years it took Sete to learn how to ride a 500/GP bike properly. The boy spent more than a few Sunday afternoons on his head - and a few intense winters in Modesto and Barcelona with Wayne, Kenny and little Jimmy Filice.

Nicky's doing jes fine.

:p

Chaos
07-06-04, 08:22 PM
Point is, Repsol Honda would still be on top had Jeremy Burgess and the boyz stayed on; we're talking about THREE different teams here. Pons/Pramac suffered a devastating loss when chassis genius Antonio Cobas died this year, yet they're still doing better than the flagship Honda team; as is Gresini, which has even less of a "factory" status than Pons.

I guess you guys don't know how many years it took Sete to learn how to ride a 500/GP bike properly. The boy spent more than a few Sunday afternoons on his head - and a few intense winters in Modesto and Barcelona with Wayne, Kenny and little Jimmy Filice.

Nicky's doing jes fine.

:p

no doubt, not all the hondas are the same, but if you were starting a MotoGp team, you'd more than likely choose a Honda. I'm not suggesting the Yamaha sucks, they've made some strides this season. But Rossi really makes that bike look good...like Schumi in the early seasons at Ferrari.

To be honest, I only started to watch MotoGP towards the end of last season, so I'm not familiar with the history of the riders. Maybe a bit of Max Biaggi because he had some success in the lower CCs, and he was given a test in the Ferrari F1 car.

I enjoy talking about this sorta stuff so much more than the open wheel mess.

eiregosod
07-08-04, 09:38 PM
I saw half hour highlights there last night

superb race indeed!

motoGP is fastly becoming more mainstream here as a sporting event

Wally
07-09-04, 11:02 AM
Ahh that was the "Doctor" that took a spin in the Ferrari....

oddlycalm
07-10-04, 05:10 PM
Nicky's doing jes fine.

Absolutely. For a 2nd year rider in MotoGP he's doing very well. If Repsol is able to rebuild it's personnel and Hayden gets some more experience, he could do well.

oc