PDA

View Full Version : The obligatory TV thread

nrc
07-04-04, 08:39 PM
Good job by the TV folks this week. They caught most of the action on the track and captured the fact that it was a good race in spite of Seabass's domination at the front. If you want to see Bronte you'll have to tune into Dangerous Curves, I guess. :)

theunions
07-04-04, 11:08 PM
The abrupt cutting from 'Dinger running smoothly on lap 6 or so to him already spinning on lap 13 was inexplicable and jarring though.

Cmndr Keen
07-05-04, 08:57 AM
The abrupt cutting from 'Dinger running smoothly on lap 6 or so to him already spinning on lap 13 was inexplicable and jarring though.

:eek: Did'nt notice that on HDNet, was that Spike?

nrc
07-05-04, 09:39 AM
I didn't notice it either, maybe because I was there and knew what to expect. They also picked up on Bruno's move through the field just a little late.

mapguy
07-05-04, 09:58 AM
I only caught a bit of the race. The audio quality was poor. Sounded like those Japanese and Australian races where the announcers 'phone it in'.

racer2c
07-05-04, 10:25 AM
I was pleased with the coverage. My only dings would be that it seemed like they only brought three cameras and made up for it with telescoping lenses.
I think a third guy in the booth would help. It seems like Kendall struggles to fill. He also talked through a pass for position.

nissan gtp
07-05-04, 01:46 PM
my biggest gripe is it isn't live. I understand the theory of Sunday afternoon at 4:00, but it's a poor substitute for the real thing. Have a 30 minute summary show if you want, but show the races live.

hopefully somehing to work on for 2005.

theunions
07-05-04, 02:13 PM
:eek: Did'nt notice that on HDNet, was that Spike?

Spike is correct.

sundaydriver2
07-05-04, 04:07 PM
I only caught a bit of the race. The audio quality was poor. Sounded like those Japanese and Australian races where the announcers 'phone it in'.

My thoughts too. I really liked the job that Speed Channel did last year. Maybe the guys who are doing the broadcasts and copy it.

oddlycalm
07-05-04, 06:27 PM
The audio quality was poor.

Yeah, something happened to the audio. It started out ok, but they came back from commercial at some point and it was screwed up from then on.

Overall, we have suffered through much worse coverage in the past. I do agree that SPEED did the best job and had the most intelligent coverage, but I feel compelled to give this year's coverage credit for doing a lot with what is obviously a limited budget. RB has a lot to learn about Champ Car racing, but he shows up and does the job with enthusiasm and actually seems interested.

Confining Bronte to Dangerous Curves also may indicate people in charge continue to listen. If that is the case, then they will eventually get things dialed in.

oc

Rogue Leader
07-05-04, 06:53 PM
Seeing Bronte do some pitside reporting or some sort of sideline stuff (like when she was in the spotters tower at Milwaukee) would be a good thing as she is pretty good on camera and can bring a fresh perspective.

One thing about the ChampCar events compared to F1 or NASCAB etc, is while im sure at the race it feels like an "EVENT", but with this TV coverage limited to 2 hours, the pre race stuff is very limited. I like seeing pit reporting, BS with the drivers a bit stuff like that, then the cars roll out... Makes it feel much more like an "EVENT" and not just a race....

Steve99
07-05-04, 06:54 PM
I didn't notice any audio problems. Could it have beena local problem?

Rogue Leader
07-05-04, 07:13 PM

i recorded it and watched it later and noticed the problem too... I noticed the same problem last event also.

turn1
07-05-04, 10:18 PM

I recorded it on DVR and experienced audio difficulties as well.

Robstar
07-06-04, 12:51 AM
My only dings would be that it seemed like they only brought three cameras and made up for it with telescoping lenses.

Here, here... :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
07-06-04, 02:15 PM
Go over to TF and see what they are saying about ABCs (non) coverage of the Kansas thing.

I'm happy where Champcars are right now, even if I know it could be better, because I know it could be so much worse.

KLang
07-06-04, 02:24 PM
Seeing Bronte do some pitside reporting or some sort of sideline stuff (like when she was in the spotters tower at Milwaukee) would be a good thing as she is pretty good on camera and can bring a fresh perspective.

One thing about the ChampCar events compared to F1 or NASCAB etc, is while im sure at the race it feels like an "EVENT", but with this TV coverage limited to 2 hours, the pre race stuff is very limited. I like seeing pit reporting, BS with the drivers a bit stuff like that, then the cars roll out... Makes it feel much more like an "EVENT" and not just a race....

There is a 30 minute pre-race show on HDNet. I know not everyone has access though.

Edit: No sound issues that I noticed on HDNet.

Kiwifan
07-06-04, 02:30 PM
My son and I got to see the race last night and thought the audio was very poor. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that we are on a different system but even the video hasn't been that good either. You certainly struggle to see the standings and push-to-pass figures at the top of the screen.

I'm not complaining because at least we got to see it but I think the shows producers should drag out some old ESPN tapes to see how it was done. I remember the afternoon I switched on the telly and Champ Cars came thundering into my lounge for the first time. The sad thing is I remember thinking "it doesn't get any better than this" and how true that has become, er, other than being at a race of course! :)

Rusty.