PDA

View Full Version : Race Summary (spoilers)

Ruben Barrios
07-03-04, 10:12 PM
Some dumb @ss moves out there.

Junquie and Sebas on fire, no stoping them.

To bad for Carp
I feel for PT, victim on this one
Wilson,hmmmm.... rookie mistake
Tags: Cool it buddy, you don't have to win in the first 10 laps, see what happens when you rush it??
Jordain, sorry about that misscalculation
Oriol Kudos great run
Jimmy not too shabby
Dominguez: Did you show up today?
AJ, could have been in the podium, still a rookie.
RHR bad luck today
Lavin, only Forsythe to finish
Gonzalez: best mexican finish, not too bad buddy
Haberfeld, get a Lola, please get a Lola
Sperafico, huh, who???
Mazzacane, at least no one sees you
Philipe, funny, this guy just cruises atound, looses the car, gets back on track, and actually finishes the race. hahahaha Still a joke to me.

Turn 1 man, turn 1
:saywhat:

Good overall race, quite some surprises and then there was Newman Haas.

Sebas looking good for this championship, I forsee a Big, Big Trophy in his house come November.

Good show!

Railbird
07-03-04, 11:08 PM
fun race

SeaBass ran off course a time or two right in front of where I was sitting, that boy wasn't stroking.

Servia did a nice job.

Tag was out of control most of the race.

Bruno must be feeling like Rubin now days

The Galloping Girrafe should have reviewed a few tapes before making that first turn lunge.

Cam
07-03-04, 11:15 PM
fun race

SeaBass ran off course a time or two right in front of where I was sitting, that boy wasn't stroking.

Servia did a nice job.

Tag was out of control most of the race.

Bruno must be feeling like Rubin now days

The Galloping Girrafe should have reviewed a few tapes before making that first turn lunge.

DAMN! You made good time! :D

pchall
07-03-04, 11:36 PM
Cookie Boy rocks like Cleveland. :)

WTF with Tracy and Wilson not making it through T1, lap 1? :saywhat:

JAM26
07-04-04, 12:42 AM
SeaBass ran off course? Didn't see that on TV, but hey did allude to some grass buildup on his front wings. He received very little coverage considered he was leading the race. Guess it was because he was so far ahead.

Spicoli
07-04-04, 12:47 AM

"Rocks" = win.

Cookie boy still dissappoints.

:shouldistopdrinkingnoworkeeponthetricycle?:

CART License
07-04-04, 03:12 AM

WTF with Tracy and Wilson not making it through T1, lap 1? :saywhat:

Ask Mr. Wilson!!! he took a bite out of Dennis the Menace's drivers side. DNF for you. Wilson is hard to duplicate and no one, repeat, no one can copy it.

CART License
07-04-04, 03:18 AM
Some dumb @ss Wilson moves out there.

Dr. Corkski
07-04-04, 03:27 AM
Wilson would have probably made the turn had Tagliani not banzai in there way too hot. Even Baby Jesus Tracy implied so.

Best road course finish ever for Coyne. Fastest non-NHR car out there today. Yep, I am sure Studolfo could have done that. ;)

CART License
07-04-04, 03:37 AM
"Tagliani not banzai in there way too hot"

good point Cork, I think your right...

pchall
07-04-04, 07:58 AM
"Rocks" = win.

Cookie boy still dissappoints.

4th in a freaking Coyne car...

Spicoli
07-04-04, 09:45 AM
4th in a freaking Coyne car...

Maybe Coyne realized its better to have some competitiveness when looking for sponsor bucks.

There won't be much KKfare next year, what with the EARL imploding and so many teams wanting in at CCWS for about HALF the cost of EARL (and twice the butts in seats)...

Oriol is one of the more "seasoned" drivers out there, but he only seems to rise to the occassion when his ride is on the line. I like Oriol, but I lump him in with Patreek in that manner - good for a couple decent drives thru the season, and way too complacent to drive mid pack the rest.

I hope things have changed. Cookie Boy is likeable and good for the series (just like Pat). I wish him well.

Railbird
07-04-04, 12:12 PM
Well put Spicoli.

The first time I saw Servia race was his rookie year at Milwaukee. I thought we were seeing a new phenom with "quick hands" and great car control. Since then his results seem to be split three ways between dumbass moves, mid pack disappearances and great performances like yesterday.

Railbird
07-04-04, 12:17 PM
DAMN! You made good time!

Cheap motels and laptops create the illusion of time travel. :cool:

RaceGrrl
07-04-04, 09:13 PM
Perfect day for a race. Sunny and breezy, fairly nice crowd. The stands were considerably smaller this year, but there did seem to be a fair number of folks at the fence.

There was no broadcast booth on Stand E. We sat in Stand F with Napoleon, his brother and sister in law and Mueber. Chick in front of us had on low-rise jeans and a SuperGirl thong. Great view of almost all of the track, but it was kinda hard to see turn 8. (kinda hard to pay attention to the race too) We were sitting right at the entrance to the pits and just a little east of Coyne's pit area. (Nice, because I'm STILL a Servia fan)

I picked Junky in our pool b/c Richard had already chosen Bourdais. I'm not a fan of Junquiera, so it sucked having to cheer for him this time. :p Bruno did a great job working his way back to the front after the first turn accident. AJ looked fast all day, and Jeemy had a good drive too- great to see that. Dominquez and RHR were disappointing.

Not much to choose from in the merchandise area. None of the teams had trailers there, just one ChampCar trailer, and Speedgear, plus Yoke TV's booth and other miscellaneous vendors.

The 5pm start time was good, but I'd love to see this as a night race again.

As always- had a great time. Sorry we missed you, 'bird.

RTKar
07-04-04, 10:01 PM
fun race

I thought the same thing, the start at Burke is always a fiber fest. Especially since Wilson had never been there, one would think he wouldn't have been so aggressive trying to dive in like he did. I'm getting tired of the Cleveland starts getting muddled up....maybe a standing start would be the ticket ???

nrc
07-04-04, 10:15 PM
Chick in front of us had on low-rise jeans and a SuperGirl thong.

Underoos are fun! :D

Meanwhile out on the track...

I have split the blame for the turn one crash 50/50 between Wilson and Tagzsz. Tagz came in too hot and probably was going to hit someone, but Wilson dove for the apex like he'd never seen a Cleveland start in his life (dumb by the team if that's the case).

Good drives by everyone in the top six. Bruno carved back through after a bad start as did Tagz. Jimmee shows he still has it, but I'd love to see him win one more and then become a mentor for someone like Fogarty. AJ is the real deal. Drove hard the whole race and made up for some mistakes. When he fixes the mistakes, look out.

A top ten by Fabio when he's clearly in over his head shows that we could still use a bit more depth in the field.

Good job by ChampCar - they were on the radio warning backmarkers to let the leaders through and kept the full course cautions within reason.

Also, I like the pit rules as they are. Requiring green flag stops has virtually eliminated the kind of pit lane antics that we used to see on a regular basis. Requiring a certain number of stops without a specific pit window still allows some strategy to come into play.

Sean O'Gorman
07-04-04, 11:23 PM
Perfect day for a race. Sunny and breezy, fairly nice crowd. The stands were considerably smaller this year, but there did seem to be a fair number of folks at the fence.

There was no broadcast booth on Stand E. We sat in Stand F with Napoleon, his brother and sister in law and Mueber. Chick in front of us had on low-rise jeans and a SuperGirl thong. Great view of almost all of the track, but it was kinda hard to see turn 8. (kinda hard to pay attention to the race too) We were sitting right at the entrance to the pits and just a little east of Coyne's pit area. (Nice, because I'm STILL a Servia fan)

I picked Junky in our pool b/c Richard had already chosen Bourdais. I'm not a fan of Junquiera, so it sucked having to cheer for him this time. :p Bruno did a great job working his way back to the front after the first turn accident. AJ looked fast all day, and Jeemy had a good drive too- great to see that. Dominquez and RHR were disappointing.

Not much to choose from in the merchandise area. None of the teams had trailers there, just one ChampCar trailer, and Speedgear, plus Yoke TV's booth and other miscellaneous vendors.

The 5pm start time was good, but I'd love to see this as a night race again.

As always- had a great time. Sorry we missed you, 'bird.

Dang, I didn't see no girl fitting that description when I sat with Nap for Formula BMW!

You think it was bad having Junky in your pool? I had Justin Wilson! At least there was no drama in the gambling department for me. Could've been worse though, my aunt took Philippe, thinking it was Danica. :rofl:

Real good race the first half, things kinda died off after that last caution, attrition really thinned out the ranks, but only in the top half of the field.

I don't think I saw you this year RaceGrrl. That is probably a good thing, its always nice to leave the track without having been kicked in the nuts/chest/shins, or wherever you would've picked to attack me as a sign of your dissatisfaction about my posts. :D

RaceGrrl
07-04-04, 11:35 PM
I've put you on "ignore." :D

Actually, we didn't get to the track until after the BMW race was almost over. We must have just missed you.

Sean O'Gorman
07-04-04, 11:38 PM
Actually, we didn't get to the track until after the BMW race was almost over. We must have just missed you.

I ran into nrc before the Atlantic race, for some reason you weren't there too. :confused:

Napoleon
07-05-04, 07:25 AM
Chick in front of us had on low-rise jeans and a SuperGirl thong.

. . . and she was HOT!

mapguy
07-05-04, 08:34 AM
Chick in front of us had on low-rise jeans and a SuperGirl thong. Great view

Sounds like you did.
:D

nrc
07-05-04, 10:36 AM
Maybe Champcar should do a line of Champcar logo thongs and underwear. Have Bronte model them during a yellow flag segments in Toronto. Instant ratings, just add water. :)

Speaking of logo merchandise - one cool thing about Cleveland this year is that I probably saw a higer percentage of folks wearing champ car gear than any race we've been to. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
07-05-04, 11:16 AM
Maybe Champcar should do a line of Champcar logo thongs and underwear. Have Bronte model them during a yellow flag segments in Toronto. Instant ratings, just add water. :)

Speaking of logo merchandise - one cool thing about Cleveland this year is that I probably saw a higer percentage of folks wearing champ car gear than any race we've been to. :thumbup:

I noticed that too, although ironically I didn't wear any racing gear for all three days. Unfortunately, however, I just think it means that its down to just the hardcores attending the races. :thumdown: Next year will hopefully have more people since Champ Car will be on much more stable ground and they will have much more time to promote the event. :thumbup:

Racing Truth
07-05-04, 12:45 PM

Same thought as Sean had: pretty much the diehards from what I could tell.

First 1/2 of the race was really interesting. Could not believe a Dale Coyne car was, at one point, in a semi legit 2nd! :saywhat:

SeaBass pulled a Schumacher on the field. Made for a bit of a snoozer up front, but it was also a joy to watch a drive like that.

Bruno will no doubt be ridiculed for once again getting rolled by SeaBass, but I was actually impressed. Esp. the first 1/2 of the race he made several nice passes, but never did anything stupid. Other than SeaBass, and maybe Servia, I was most impressed with Whiney.

Mazzacane must have pitted, oh, EIGHT times during the race. I know attrition can get you points, but I kept hoping they would call it a day earlier

Speaking of, Haberfeld had gearbox trouble almost all day and should have pulled in much earlier, IMHO. He was in the way all day, and could have caused a major problem.

Perfect day for a race with a decent walkup crowd. I got there at 4:00 and was a bit concerned with what attendance would be, but it filled in nicely, though not a sellout.

gurneyfan
07-05-04, 05:32 PM
This was my first race at Cleveland and I would recommend it to everyone. There are plenty of places to pass and the opportunity for great racing if some boneheads didn't blow it in the first turn.

Weather was great, nothing to complain about, I was there all three days. Haven't been to the first day of a three day race weekend before. You've got to do this if you haven't yet. The teams must feel like if you're there on the first day you are a real fan. You can go just about anywhere with a pit pass. Places I would never have imagined. Standing behind the pit wall fifty feet down and watching Bourdais launch out of his pit five feet from where you are standing is indescribable. Also fun to talk to the crew members, announcers, etc.. Saw all the drivers off the track at least once except for Sebastian.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn and could see the cars on the track from my room, (It was BMW practice, can't be there all the time). Rusport and Newman-Haas stayed there and it was fun talking to them on the elevator.

What a great weekend!!!!

oddlycalm
07-05-04, 06:54 PM
Same thought as Sean had: pretty much the diehards from what I could tell.

Oddly enough, that's actually the good news. Pretty much the same here at Portland, which translated into 32,000 through the front gate. That's a serious number of hardcore fans, and it's what gives CCWS a good chance at succeeding. We've had good weather luck this year, which we really needed. So far it looks like these guys are going to have a pretty good story to tell promoters and potential sponsors at the end of this season, at which time they will be selling into a stronger economy.

oc

oddlycalm
07-05-04, 07:08 PM
Maybe Champcar should do a line of Champcar logo thongs and underwear. Have Bronte model them during a yellow flag segments in Toronto.

I know you meant this in jest, but it's actually a pretty good guerrilla marketing tactic. During the race, even cautions, would probably piss people off, but on Dangerous Curves it would be a real good thing. There should be Champ Car halters, camiosols and thongs with a message on the top strap. If one can manage to get their logo out there on the prow or tail of enough nice fillies, you don't need the Pied Piper.

oc

Steve99
07-05-04, 07:16 PM
Tags: Cool it buddy, you don't have to win in the first 10 laps, see what happens when you rush it??

You get a podium finish? ;)

Rogue Leader
07-05-04, 07:21 PM
You get a podium finish? ;)

Good run by Tag once he cooled off, he was rolling pretty well... However I think PT might go Tony Stewart on his ass pretty soon.... lol

Andrew Longman
07-06-04, 10:05 AM
I had a great time, even though I could only make it for race day.

We met a lot of die hards, including a father and son who traveled from Scranton and had been going to Nazareth for years.

SeeBass did shoot the 9/10 combo on the grass one time. I think his breaks were getting hot. Amazingly it didn't seem to faze him in the least.

My son noticed something interesting SeeBass was doing in morning warmups. On several laps he rolled through 9 and 10 at a slow pace then down the straight he would suddenly stand on it. His theory was that he was practicing his starts and timing the time it took to get to the T1 break point.

I thought he was just slowing to get a clear running lap but he did it enough times that my son might be right. Given how hard it is to see break points in the congestion at the start it might not be a bad idea.

The crowd was great and seemed to enjoy the race. A lot of locals I met made a big deal about the race being renewed for 3 more years. And I met several locals away from the track that would have renewed their tickets this year if there hadn't been so much uncertainty.

Definitely looking up.

Forza Lancia
07-06-04, 11:30 AM
As another who was only there on Sunday, I was a little concerned at the rather small-ish crowd (that's the way it seemed to me, anyway, compared to previous years.) And the "flyover" by two medical helicopters (!) was a little lackluster, too... But I think the 5:00 starting time was a great idea (cooler air, but no need for expensive lighting), and everyone I heard was very positive about the fact that the race has been renewed for a few more years. I thought Tagliani's drive back to third place was pretty amazing, too (given the fact that it was his own fault that he fell to the back of the pack, of course).

One other thing -- do they introduce the mechanics along with the driver before all the races, or was that something new at Cleveland? It seemed a little odd at first, but I guess it's nice for the crew to get a little recognition, too.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-04, 11:52 AM
As another who was only there on Sunday, I was a little concerned at the rather small-ish crowd (that's the way it seemed to me, anyway, compared to previous years.)

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the Sunday crowd too. They should've known the race was the day before! ;)

Andrew Longman
07-06-04, 02:07 PM
As another who was only there on Sunday, I was a little concerned at the rather small-ish crowd (that's the way it seemed to me, anyway, compared to previous years.) And the "flyover" by two medical helicopters (!) was a little lackluster, too... But I think the 5:00 starting time was a great idea (cooler air, but no need for expensive lighting), and everyone I heard was very positive about the fact that the race has been renewed for a few more years. I thought Tagliani's drive back to third place was pretty amazing, too (given the fact that it was his own fault that he fell to the back of the pack, of course).

One other thing -- do they introduce the mechanics along with the driver before all the races, or was that something new at Cleveland? It seemed a little odd at first, but I guess it's nice for the crew to get a little recognition, too.

The fly over certainly wasn't on par with supersonic F16s and the like. I shrugged it off as Cleveland showing off their use of tax dollars as so many communities do with fire engines in 4th of July parades. Sadly, maybe the Ohio Air National Guard is deployed in Iraq.

I don't remember crew intros anywhere else except in recent years at the NASCAR all star race. Its a nice touch and gives the crews some much deserved attention. I just wished they had put more effort into knowing how to pronounce their names. THe MC butchered more than a few and seems to only reinforce the notion that these guys aren't to important. Do it, but do it right.

RTKar
07-06-04, 06:37 PM

They did that last year to stall for time a bit to let the sun go down so it wouldn't be in the driver's eyes.

Anteater
07-06-04, 06:44 PM

On raceday at Portland, the announcer introduced every member of each team's pit crew by name (including their job title). I thought it was a very nice touch to give credit to those hard-working and vital team members.

Forza Lancia
07-07-04, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the Sunday crowd too. They should've known the race was the day before! ;)

Oops! I guess that would explain it....

Insomniac
07-07-04, 03:42 PM
Good run by Tag once he cooled off, he was rolling pretty well... However I think PT might go Tony Stewart on his ass pretty soon.... lol

I was waiting for him to get hsi car repaired and show him the chrome horn. ;)