PDA

View Full Version : Alonso on pole

The Doctor
07-03-04, 04:17 PM
Fernando and Schumi on the front row, DC and Button on the second row. Trulli and a fast JPM on row three. Might be a pretty good race tomorrow. Alonso should lead the first stint, but we'll see if pit strategy allows him to stay up front after that. Go Fernando, go.

Spicoli
07-03-04, 09:00 PM
Fred needs some. Flavio needs some. Jarno needs some. :saywhat:

Just kiddin. :p

all the same - go Fred go!

Spicoli
07-04-04, 09:39 AM
No love for Jarno.

Cwap. :shakehead

Cam
07-04-04, 09:40 AM
YAWN! :rolleyes:

murph
07-04-04, 09:43 AM
Congradulations to Michael, Fred, and Rubinho..... nice to see the McLarens looking more competitive....

ilferrari
07-04-04, 10:22 AM
:o Yawwwwwwn. Classic modern F1. The race was decided in the pits, the cars couldn't get close to each other, and they were easy to drive on the limit. Thanks again, Max.

indyfan31
07-04-04, 02:06 PM
Alonso and Renault threw Ferrari's strategy into a tizzy, Schumacher built up a 20+ second cushion in about 15 laps, made a FOURTH stop and still came out in the lead, and Barichello came from 10th to make a daring pass with 2 corners to go for third and you guys didn't enjoy the race??? Too bad, I loved it.

Chaos
07-04-04, 02:12 PM
Alonso and Renault threw Ferrari's strategy into a tizzy, Schumacher built up a 20+ second cushion in about 15 laps, made a FOURTH stop and still came out in the lead, and Barichello came from 10th to make a daring pass with 2 corners to go for third and you guys didn't enjoy the race??? Too bad, I loved it.

Well, it seems the general consensus is that a race is a race when there's passing involved on the track (and lots of it), and not from the pits. By that standard it wasn't much of a race.

oddlycalm
07-04-04, 05:01 PM
Well, it seems the general consensus is that a race is a race when there's passing involved on the track (and lots of it)

That's why I watch MotoGP. F1 is more of a chess match, and today's chess match was a pretty good one. I like the Tour de France for the same reason. Not a lot of rider to rider passing, but a 23 day chess match at that level of competition is worthy of interest.

MS pounding out 15 laps laps at qualifying speeds is something I wouldn't want to have missed. What that says about him as a driver and the equipment is astonishing. I'd also take Reuben's dive under Trulli in the final complex over any number of meaningless passes in EARL ovals.

What is pathetic is a crowd of 50,000 and the abysmal job the French TV crew did.

oc

Chaos
07-04-04, 05:06 PM
MotoGP is arguably the most competitive racing series in the world, and it doesn't use downforce tricks or full course yellows.

indyfan31
07-04-04, 06:14 PM
Well, it seems the general consensus is that a race is a race when there's passing involved on the track (and lots of it), and not from the pits. By that standard it wasn't much of a race.

Well, that's really too bad, and not very logical. I really don't know why people expect "lots of" passing in a road race. By design, the faster guys are already lined up at the front of the grid. How much passing can you expect from slower driver/cars that are starting behind the faster ones to begin with? It just doesn't make sense.

Methanolandbrats
07-04-04, 10:16 PM
Passing for the sake of passing is bull****. Real overtaking happens infrequently. Todays race was outstanding. Anyone who does'nt understand that should just solder their TV on the Cab channel and get a lobotomy.

Robstar
07-04-04, 10:26 PM
I thought it was a great race... Good call by Ferrari to change MS to a four stopper...

RTKar
07-04-04, 10:36 PM
I thought it was an interesting race, shocked that Alonso didn't pull it off though. There were some battles for position near the front. Once again McLaren finished and what's Sato doing to his engines????

Lizzerd
07-04-04, 10:59 PM
Ive been watching the replay (didn't get up this morning or tape it), and I'm quite pleased. Great race...

Dr. Corkski
07-05-04, 05:30 AM
It usually considered a boring race only when a Schumacher wins. ;)

When Puffy lucks in with a car in cruise control and wins by a minute you don't see anyone complaining.

For that matter, there hasn't been a single pass for the lead in Champ Cars this year. :gomer:

JohnHKart
07-05-04, 07:45 AM
What a great race, I'm usually bored by meaningless, endless passing races (like Talladega, Michigan Handford and IRL). For some reason F1 just really gets me off, and afterwards when I try to watch anything else, it's like watching paint dry. Cart seems to be suffering the most in comparison, maybe I'd better stop trying to watch it on the same day. From now I think I'm a newly converted Michael Schumacher fan, the guy is just amazing. Pounding out all those qualifying laps ala Hungary 98, he's 35 years old and unstoppable.

John

tomahawk
07-05-04, 07:52 AM
I thought that it was one of the more interesting races of the year - especially given the change in strategy mid-race for Schumacher. I'd love to see the computer simulations running in the Ferrari paddock estimating Schumacher's laps with less fuel versus Alonso, accounting for traffic, etc. I'm no Ferrari fan but I'd say they earned this one...

I feel bad for Jarno but he did leave the door ajar...hope that does not cost him his 2005 seat as he and Flavio have been in negotiations...

:tomahawk

ilferrari
07-05-04, 06:37 PM
Mansell - F1 is too boring

This guy has walked the walk alongside Prost, Senna, Piquet and the rest and thrilled millions on fans doing it, so he is entitled to talk the talk:

Mansell - F1 too boring (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3866933.stm)

Come on now, defend F1. I'm not denying it's leagues better than the IRL or NASCAR TV shows, always has been in my view. But it is nowhere near as good as it was before Mosley screwed the cars and regulations in middle and the late 90's.

Dirty Sanchez
07-07-04, 10:05 AM
Yeah... I was pretty happy with it. :gomer:

More soon.

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album61/finishline.jpg

FTG
07-07-04, 10:32 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I liked F1 better when there was competition.

Forza Lancia
07-07-04, 11:14 AM
At least Schumi had to work for this one, and the four-pit-stop strategy added a little suspense, but it was still disheartening to read that Schumi actually said "we might have won on a normal three-stop, but that would have involved passing cars on the track.'' Heaven forbid...

RacinM3
07-07-04, 12:59 PM
Someday people will look back on this era of F1 and wax poetic about how great it was to see someone dominate like Schumacher has. What he did last week was amazing and showed why he's paid what he's paid. I'm looking at it this way right now, regardless of the fact I don't like Schumacher the person, I'm amazed by Schumacher the driver.

Those same people who years from now will be saying how great the performances were are probably the same people who now say F1 sucks.