PDA

View Full Version : IMS Claims Another Victim (combined)

P1
06-30-04, 06:27 AM
From Crash.net (http://crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=95018)

Why I hate ovals with those totally unforgiving concrete walls - yes even road courses inside ovals.

Railbird
06-30-04, 06:40 AM
Last time I checked Long Beach had concrete walls.

Tough break for Ralf, maybe he can spend the rest of the summer counting Toyota bucks.

JohnHKart
06-30-04, 07:24 AM
Yes, but nowhere at Long Beach that I can think of is a car coming off a corner at 200 MPH at an Oval style angle that could cause this type of crash. IMS and FTG should have been able to figure out that this was a danger zone, for the F1 race and should have extended the "soft" wall further on. I'm not really a Ralf fan, but this is a shame.

John

RTKar
06-30-04, 09:13 AM
From Crash.net (http://crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=95018)

Why I hate ovals with those totally unforgiving concrete walls - yes even road courses inside ovals.

Imola 1994...

pchall
06-30-04, 09:24 AM
Has F1 adopted the IRL's method of injury reporting, by any chance?

indyfan31
06-30-04, 09:31 AM
Has F1 adopted the IRL's method of injury reporting, by any chance?
Apparently they have, either that or the Chinese government is in charge of press releases. Wasn't one of the first announcements a statement that said: "no broken bones"?

Fitti Fan
06-30-04, 11:47 AM
And how nice that crashnet has big red banners that say "buy print" on the photos of Ralf's accident. Sorry, but I find that rather repulsive. :flame:

Redwing
06-30-04, 01:25 PM
Indy is home to the slowest X-ray machines in the world.

Madmaxfan2
06-30-04, 03:00 PM
Scary thought.

SurfaceUnits
06-30-04, 05:57 PM
Little Schumi is out indefinitely with two broken vertabra.

Upon further review it has been revealed that the injuries sustained during the USGP were more substantial than a deeply bruised back. Test reults show that Ralph Schumacher suffered two broken vertebra. In Ralph's own words he described the news as a "hammer blow." Various reports have Shcumachers recovery time at 8-12 weeks. Which, if recovery went according to plan, Ralph could be back in the car for this seasons final race. Marc Gene has been officially announced as Schumacher's replacement for this weekends French Grand Prix. It is unknown at this point if Gene will be William's official driver for the remainder of the 2004 season.

FU

Dr. Corkski
06-30-04, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Thread already here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4941).

Robstar
06-30-04, 07:33 PM
And how nice that crashnet has big red banners that say "buy print" on the photos of Ralf's accident. Sorry, but I find that rather repulsive. :flame:

Here, here... :shakehead

pchall
06-30-04, 07:51 PM
Little Schumi is out indefinitely with two broken vertabra.

Hey, now all he needs to do is strap on a back brace and he is a sure winner of the IRL 497.5!

Tifosi24
06-30-04, 09:08 PM
IMS and TG had nothing to do with the lack of a tire wall at the exit of that corner. The FIA, and Jackie Stewart, or all people felt that for some reason there wasn't a need for a tire wall there. After Barrichello's accident at the same spot a couple years ago you would have thought they would have done something. On a lighter note, I just think it is cool that someone was able to get the German double 'S' into a thread title. Let me tell ya, the little things excite me.

Dr. Corkski
06-30-04, 09:56 PM
IMS and TG had nothing to do with the lack of a tire wall at the exit of that corner. The FIA, and Jackie Stewart, or all people felt that for some reason there wasn't a need for a tire wall there. After Barrichello's accident at the same spot a couple years ago you would have thought they would have done something. On a lighter note, I just think it is cool that someone was able to get the German double 'S' into a thread title. Let me tell ya, the little things excite me.But that still won't prevent some ****** from starting another pointless thread in other racing. ;)

It is indeed very strange that the injury was released more than a week after the accident.

Seadog
07-01-04, 08:52 AM
Wow I guess this shows that Ralf does have spine after all.

SAdair
07-01-04, 10:02 AM
Wow I guess this shows that Ralf does have spine after all.
So true!!! :rofl: :D :rofl:

I need an icon for laughing so hard I am crying. My coworkers don't just think I am nuts, now they know I am nuts. :thumbup:

ilferrari
07-01-04, 12:15 PM
IMS and TG had nothing to do with the lack of a tire wall at the exit of that corner. The FIA, and Jackie Stewart, or all people felt that for some reason there wasn't a need for a tire wall there. After Barrichello's accident at the same spot a couple years ago you would have thought they would have done something. On a lighter note, I just think it is cool that someone was able to get the German double 'S' into a thread title. Let me tell ya, the little things excite me.

A tire wall is not really appropriate there. For a start the tires would go all over the racetrack in a shunt because there is no runoff. Secondly with that impact angle a car will ricochet off a smooth wall still doing a high speed. A tire wall will snag the car and the driver will endure a much bigger deceleration. Ask Mika Hakkinen.

Considering he went off at 180mph, I would say the result is bloody good

Joe in LA
07-01-04, 12:53 PM
I though Barrichello hit the safer barrier when he wrecked?

theunions
07-01-04, 12:59 PM
Indy is home to the slowest X-ray machines in the world.

Interesting that Willi Weber is now threatening legal action against Methodist...

stymie
07-01-04, 02:27 PM
I though Barrichello hit the safer barrier when he wrecked?

No, Barrichello actually hit further down the track and nearly hit the crossing gate that is located near the end of pit road.

Chitowncartfreak
07-01-04, 04:59 PM
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30556

According to ITV, Ralph is considering suing the doctors in Indianapolis for failing to diagnose his back fracture and letting him fly home, putting him at risk for even more serious injury. I can't say that I disagree - I think there are a few IRL drivers who would like to make this a class-action suit.

Joe in LA
07-01-04, 05:34 PM
Well, I could see a suit if he was injured as a result, but if he wasn't injured, the lawsuit seems pretty pointless. FWIW, I wouldn't want to sue the docs over a misdiagnosis that resulted in no harm, then get hurt in the US again and sent to the same hospital.