PDA

View Full Version : Crash.Net on Mansell's Publicity Ride

chop456
06-30-04, 02:24 AM
http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=94957

Jordan Grand Prix has revealed something of a coup for all British motorsport fans, announcing that 1992 world champion Nigel Mansell will be at the wheel of one of its Ford-powered EJ14s in the much-hyped parade of cars along London's Regent Street next month.

Mansell had a secret seat fitting at the team's Silverstone factory yesterday [Monday] and then tried the EJ14 for the first time with a brief run at Silverstone, which hosts the British Grand Prix being trailed by the 'F1 comes to Regent Street' event on Tuesday 6 July.

"The unique event in Regent Street is all about Formula One giving something back to the fans," team boss Eddie Jordan explained of his deal with Mansell, "Nigel was undoubtedly a 'fan favourite' all over the world, and I was delighted when he accepted my invitation to drive a Jordan on this special occasion.

"I was a fan of Nigel's when we raced together in F3 in the Seventies, and the total commitment and never-say-die attitude he showed throughout his racing career is what I have tried to follow at Jordan Grand Prix. Nigel is not just a former world champion - he is one of Britain's legendary sportsmen - and I'm extremely proud that he's driving our Jordan-Ford. I'm sure if he wanted to race again he'd show many of today's heroes how to do it; you never know we might be able to tempt him away from the golf course to do another season!"

Mansell has not driven a Formula One car in anger since stepping away from the sport in 1995, following a brief comeback with the Williams team that took him to his title. He won 31 of his 187 grand prix starts, and also secured the CART Champ Car title as a rookie during a brief sabbatical from F1. He has, however, made a celebrated appearance at the wheel of one of Paul Stoddart's Minardi F1x2 cars.

"It's great to be back in an F1 car, reunited with the love of my life," Mansell said, "I think what London is doing is very special for the British Grand Prix.

"When I got the phone call from Eddie asking me if I would do this, it seemed the right thing to do. I am comfortable in the car after today, and really enjoyed having a little play this afternoon. I practiced launches, did a few laps and went round some corners a bit quicker than I should have!

Dorks. :gomer:

Who writes this stuff?

Dr. Corkski
06-30-04, 05:38 AM
The weirdest part about this is how they managed to fit Nigel and his ego in the car when Jos the Boss can't even fit in the car. :gomer:

Chaos
06-30-04, 09:04 AM
Boss's wallet was too loose in the cockpit :p