PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Car Magazines?

stroker
06-29-04, 10:37 PM
So I'm paging through my new Grassroots Motorsports and I'm wondering whether I'm missing some other good stuff. I tried a year of Circle Track (research for my Locost. Riiiiiiiiiiight.... :rolleyes: ) but I'll let that go when it's done. Otherwise, Mopar Action is it (which I like, but not as much as GRM).

Used to read my Dad's subscription to R&T and Automobile, but that was 15 years ago. I pick up a Hot Rod or Rod & Custom now and then.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

nrc
06-29-04, 10:40 PM
Car & Driver circa 1978. Or at least before it became crammed full of SUVs.

racer2c
06-29-04, 10:58 PM
Car & Driver circa 1978. Or at least before it became crammed full of SUVs.

LOL.

You know, from 1984 to 1990 I had a subscription to most hot rod type mags and Road and Track. R&T was my window to F1 before ESPN picked it up at 3:00am. My tastes grew away from American hotrods and more into the racing genre and my insatiable need of keeping up with every new model of every make (at least trying to), from 1990 to 1998 I had every race, and street car magazine there was. My mail man had to hate me! I was a car mag addict!

I first started my rehabilitation when AutoWeek started their CART smear campaign (my perception of course), and I remember have a few rounds at 7G with the guy who took over Racer when they canned the CART fluff mag. I canceled both of those in rebellion and decided I would take the plunge and drop them all. I am proud to say I am 100% car magazine free and feel great about it! I still get SpeedGear catalogs, but those don't count!

I have every issue of Racer from their #4 to when I dropped them in '98. I have almost all the issues of ICR too which was my favorite. Everytime I read an ICR magazine, it made me feel like I was in the paddock itself.

If today's car magazines tv counterparts are any indication, it's one big paid advertisement IMO. Although I was surprised to see Autoweek TV show pan the new Pontiac GTO for being, 1. a reskinned, old school Holden and 2. Being downright blase in the design department.

Somethings never change though, I love talking cars. :)

lobstermint
06-30-04, 05:48 AM
I used to get autoweek and then cancelled my subscription for all the antichampcar crap. I was then getting R&T, but I did not enjoy the articles as much as autoweek. Then R&T started running some antichampcar stuff. So I figured that if they are all going to be antichampcar I might as well read the autoweek articles on cars and ignore their racing drivel. SO thats where I am now. I think that their auto reporting is pretty good and it keeps me up to date with what is new in the auto industry.

4wheeldrifter
06-30-04, 08:17 AM
I'm a long-time Car and Driver (or Drivel if you will) subscriber. I like the writing style if not the fact that yes, the mag is getting choked with SUV's and they do tend to dump on Champcar (which I find odd, except for Yates, who is an old fart living in the past).

Back in the 80's I used to read it cover to cover the day it came. Now I'm lucky to read half of it in a month. I stick with it because, like me, It's cheap. :p

XFT
06-30-04, 09:01 AM
AUTOSPORT! FAIR AND UNBIASED REPORTING! ofcourse, it does cost a hell of a lot of money to airmail! :rolleyes: , but totally worth it, their tech articles are awesome.. The whole magazine..awesome.

On top of that CarCraft is fun to read, and ofcourse I have my freebie to C&D ;)

KLang
06-30-04, 09:07 AM
Back in the days before the internet, OnTrack was my favorite racing source.

Sean O'Gorman
06-30-04, 10:03 AM
On Track rocked, I remember riding my bike to the magazine place every week or two to buy it as a kid. Where else could you read race reports about German F3 or Japanese Touring Cars or whatever? I used to like Racer (I'll read it on occasion but its not as interesting to me anymore) and loved their ChampCar publication, and AutoWeek was good when I was a kid.

Of course, with the Internet all those magazines became pretty irrelevent now. The only one I get is SportsCar, because it comes with my SCCA membership. Occasionally I'll pick up Grassroots Motorsports, that is a great magazine.

Michaelhatesfans
06-30-04, 10:36 AM
On Track in the mailbox every other week meant all was well with the world. Likewise, when I liveed in Europe, the work week was always made just a bit easier by the one morning per week that I could grab an Autosport before I got on the train.
But like video and the radio star, the internet put the plugs to On Track, and the international cost of Autosport keeps me from buying those - although sometimes I get Nigel Roebuck withdrawls! The only mag I pick up these days is Motor Sport. It's expensive as hell to get over here, but they focus on looking back at past eras, so for me the stories are almost always new - and I get my Roebuck fix! :thumbup: