PDA

View Full Version : Will Champ Car Last Three Years?

racer2c
06-29-04, 05:36 PM
I have mucho respecto for David Philip's and have enjoyed his writings for years. In his piece posted over at Speedtv today, he foresees that Champ Car, or Champ Car/IRL cannot last for three more years of status quo.
Technically, both series could last from owners pocket books (or T&H money for the IRL), but I think Mr. Philip's is insinuating that there won't be anyone left to watch or participate in three years if a merger of some sort doesn't happen. I wonder what happened to the golden goose of a title sponsor that the IRL was supposed to have.

Boogie711
06-29-04, 06:39 PM
I have mucho respecto for David Philip's and have enjoyed his writings for years. In his piece posted over at Speedtv today, he foresees that Champ Car, or Champ Car/IRL cannot last for three more years of status quo.
Technically, both series could last from owners pocket books (or T&H money for the IRL), but I think Mr. Philip's is insinuating that there won't be anyone left to watch or participate in three years if a merger of some sort doesn't happen. I wonder what happened to the golden goose of a title sponsor that the IRL was supposed to have.

ChampCar is on one hell of a safer footing than the IRL these days!

Chaos
06-29-04, 08:07 PM
ChampCar is on one hell of a safer footing than the IRL these days!

I'm not so sure about that. I guess it all depends on what Honda and Toyota decide to do.

nissan gtp
06-29-04, 09:22 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I guess it all depends on what Honda and Toyota decide to do.

the only way they can really hurt champ car is by coming back.

Champ Car is getting better. The earl is hurting, and it's getting worse... even pimpski is showing public signs :D .

it's all good

sundaydriver2
06-29-04, 10:15 PM
If it's between Kevin Kalkhoven, Gerry Forsythe, Paul Gentilozzi and the Idiotgrandson; I think I know who is going to win.

nrc
06-29-04, 10:16 PM
If Champ car can keep Canada (3), Mexico (2), Australia and Long Beach in the fold and keep them reasonably healthy, they'll make it. The fact that Penske is once again beating the unification drum instead of just waiting for the other side to die indicates that he thinks that they have a pretty good chance of doing just that.

ncmlj
06-29-04, 10:25 PM

I was first going to reply to Boogie711 which I agree with "ChampCar is on one hell of a safer footing than the IRL these days!" and the reason I believe this is, is because irl has Honda and Toyota, they are about their business they could care less about tg's. Ask Della Penna, Cal Wells and a number more, used and tossed to the side, same will happen in irl they can develope a good N/A motor and take their test to the Nascar program and drop irl faster then we blink.

racer2c
06-29-04, 10:32 PM
If Champ car can keep Canada (3), Mexico (2), Australia and Long Beach in the fold and keep them reasonably healthy, they'll make it. The fact that Penske is once again beating the unification drum instead of just waiting for the other side to die indicates that he thinks that they have a pretty good chance of doing just that.

Very good point. Plus he comes out looking like "the Great Unifier" if this thing happens. None of the players are getting any younger, and I think that is playing a part.

Clown
06-29-04, 10:37 PM
Of course if friggin' will.
Step away from the kool-aid :shakehead

Coldfart
06-29-04, 10:38 PM
I wonder what happened to the golden goose of a title sponsor that the IRL was supposed to have.

Here's a hint:

Whenever you hear Wilke say "I'm hearing..." or "Word is...", it's a pretty safe bet that he made it up.

Giggles
06-29-04, 10:55 PM
As for David Phillips, I do respect him, but as the latest information is suggestion, cart is comming back big time. Television ratings are up, more of the world are watching, and new sponshorship is coming abord. I thing that cart will survive, and beat the IRL.

Railbird
06-29-04, 11:04 PM
Champcar can make it, time will tell if they will make it.

I agree that they need to stablize the Mex/Can/Aus events, then they have to improve the TV deal and from there they can rebuild the interest here in America.

I would like to see some strong announcements about this time next year.

dando
06-29-04, 11:08 PM
IMHO, both can survive another three years....the question is which will be the tallest dwarf? :shakehead

-Kevin

racer2c
06-29-04, 11:18 PM
As for David Phillips, I do respect him, but as the latest information is suggestion, cart is comming back big time. Television ratings are up, more of the world are watching, and new sponshorship is coming abord. I thing that cart will survive, and beat the IRL.

A 0.1 to a 0.2 isn't going to make any TV execs raise their eybrows or open their checkbooks.

On a side note: a quick FYI for the latest influx of new members from whatever forum just folded, OC is a positive thinking, Champ Car oriented forum who's members discuss all things 'Champ Car' in a rational and intellectual manner. Or try to at least. You aren't labeled a lemming if you point out a flaw in the armor (except for SOG, just kidding), and along those lines we keep the over the top cheerleading to a low roar. Meaning, we're Champ Car fans. We know we are, we don't have to yell it from the roof tops at every turn. No need to fill every thread with "Champ Car Rules!" to reinforce the sentiment. Just my opinion, but I was very happy to see that OC retained it's character when 7G folded and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will again now that CW or CCF or whatever it was is gone.

Back on topic, keep in mind that Mr. Philip's wasn't really writing about who will win. My interpretation of his article is more about whether either will be around in three years if nothing changes.

Railbird
06-29-04, 11:58 PM
well said 2c

I too have my fingers crossed

Kiwifan
06-30-04, 12:11 AM
:thumbup:

Does anyone here or does anyone know someone who has the ears of any of The Three Wise Men? If so would you tell them there are plenty of passionate fans who really want to see them carry on with what they have started? They possibly know but...........

Cheers,

Rusty.

Lizzerd
06-30-04, 12:52 AM
Rusty, I am certain that they are indeed aware of the passion that Champ Car fans have for their (our) favorite series. Maybe they lurk here, and they certainly lurk elsewhere, I'm sure. Our enthusiasm drives them.

Mike Kellner
06-30-04, 12:54 AM
Right now, ChampCar has as many fans as it did in the 60s, when it was the top racing series in the US. Racing has never had the wide following that stick & ball sports do. We can survive, as long as people buy enough tickets to keep the promotors happy. TV? Who knows? If we can get back to a 1 rating, we can stay on cable forever.

mk

manic mechanic
06-30-04, 01:03 AM
:thumbup:

Does anyone here or does anyone know someone who has the ears of any of The Three Wise Men? If so would you tell them there are plenty of passionate fans who really want to see them carry on with what they have started? They possibly know but...........

Cheers,

Rusty.

I had Kalkhoven's ear for a few minutes at Long Beach, and had a 10 minute discussion with Russo about future ovals in OWRS' plans.

Kalkhoven was beseiged with fans thanking him, and He was very busy thanking us first!

After talking at length with Russo, he is a nice enough (and down to earth guy), but I'm glad he's out of the "management" circle.. IMHO, his "vision" is limited where the "diversity of venues" is in question.

manic

Oh yeah: If the big 3 can continue at the pace they are on, I have no doubt that ChampCar will be around. :thumbup:

Fio1
06-30-04, 01:39 AM
That's a tough question. Because is cart considered still around? Yes and no. But, I don't think Champcar will be around as a seperate race series in 3 years, no matter what the name is. Sorry, but I don't think so..........

RTKar
06-30-04, 04:59 AM
A 0.1 to a 0.2 isn't going to make any TV execs raise their eybrows or open their checkbooks.

On a side note: a quick FYI for the latest influx of new members from whatever forum just folded, OC is a positive thinking, Champ Car oriented forum who's members discuss all things 'Champ Car' in a rational and intellectual manner. Or try to at least. You aren't labeled a lemming if you point out a flaw in the armor (except for SOG, just kidding), and along those lines we keep the over the top cheerleading to a low roar. Meaning, we're Champ Car fans. We know we are, we don't have to yell it from the roof tops at every turn. No need to fill every thread with "Champ Car Rules!" to reinforce the sentiment. Just my opinion, but I was very happy to see that OC retained it's character when 7G folded and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will again now that CW or CCF or whatever it was is gone.

Back on topic, keep in mind that Mr. Philip's wasn't really writing about who will win. My interpretation of his article is more about whether either will be around in three years if nothing changes.

Amen and well stated.

Paltry television ratings will seal the fate of meaningful open wheel racing in North America. In CART's best days they lagged behind NASCAR, yet were decent enough to maintain a first rate brand of racing and now, with two disfuntional series they're abysmal. Certainly two series is not in the best interest of open wheel racing and the current scenario cannot go on for ever. Whether Champcar can continue to hopefully be something akin to what we've known in the past is probably as much in the hands of "others" as it is in the hands of the amigos.

Dr. Corkski
06-30-04, 05:37 AM
Of course, if the owners of both series have to keep spending their own money in propping the car count up, neither series is going to survive when that money is gone. At this point one series losing out does not necessarily mean the other wins.

That being said, unless Champ Car starts running a full schedule of Miami MotoCRock Auto-x, it has a far better potential of suceeding.

Kiwifan
06-30-04, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up Lizzerd and manic. :thumbup: Although I try to keep up with what is happening in my favorite sport distance does have it's drawbacks.

For anyone involved in OWRS, a very big Thank you. I seriously believe with our (collective) passion, commitment and money this Series will prevail. Can't you guess I have my Surfers Tickets in my hand? :) :)

Rusty.

P1
06-30-04, 06:35 AM
The whole premise of the article is a bit stupid and premature IMO. After all OWRS are barely into their first season and are to a degree flying by the seat of their pants right now. Status quo? I mean give me a break! Things are changing as this first season proceeds! I cannot believe that the tres amigos went into this expecting to fail or with blinders on. Time for the media to shut up and let things develop and please no more unification BS!

Turn7
06-30-04, 07:28 AM
If you answered 'No' then why are you here? This is a fan page not an online wake.

Of course they will be around for 3 years and many more.

cart7
06-30-04, 09:23 AM
I answered no but I need to qualify it.

KK is a businessman and just like any other entrepeneur that sets out to start a business, he's got a business plan. Right now, CCWS is being paid for out of his pocket, I mean everything. How long will that last? What is KK's business plan short and long term? I'm sure he's looking 12, 18, 24, 36 month's out and looking for the bleeding of his wallet to stop. If it doesn't, at what point does he pull the plug before he says enough? '06 is the big year of the 3, that's when, supposedly, a new engine and chassis spec is supposed to go into effect. Will he wind up having to buy all of it and lease out to the teams? Will there be enough self supporting teams to float at least 16 - 18 cars?

The average Joe new fan is basically confused by the 2 series. As the earl continues to drag OW racing down, can CCWS build a seperate enough identity from the IRL to keep from getting dragged down even further? Will TG and co. manage to steal any of our key races away? (Canada, Mexico, LB). I wanna think the league can last for 3 more years but I wonder how with decreased return on investment due to a lack of network TV package is going to attract sponsorship $$ in large enough amounts to not only create self supporting teams but a paying series sponsor as well.

Personally I was also worried from the get go when PG began making merger/unification overtures before the whole buyout even took place. Most of the amigo's have talked to some degree about the need for a unified series as the only way OW racing will grow. Somehow I have a feeling this whole thing will be over with before the 3 years are up. The smart ones at the earl are already feeling the pressure and seeing the writing on the wall. One way or another I believe there will be a unified series before 3 years is up. Whether it's something I wanna watch is another matter. Otherwise, I don't think there will be much left of OW racing in this country to matter about by then.

RTKar
06-30-04, 11:16 AM
I answered no but I need to qualify it.

KK is a businessman and just like any other entrepeneur that sets out to start a business, he's got a business plan. Right now, CCWS is being paid for out of his pocket, I mean everything. How long will that last? What is KK's business plan short and long term? I'm sure he's looking 12, 18, 24, 36 month's out and looking for the bleeding of his wallet to stop. If it doesn't, at what point does he pull the plug before he says enough? '06 is the big year of the 3, that's when, supposedly, a new engine and chassis spec is supposed to go into effect. Will he wind up having to buy all of it and lease out to the teams? Will there be enough self supporting teams to float at least 16 - 18 cars?

The average Joe new fan is basically confused by the 2 series. As the earl continues to drag OW racing down, can CCWS build a seperate enough identity from the IRL to keep from getting dragged down even further? Will TG and co. manage to steal any of our key races away? (Canada, Mexico, LB). I wanna think the league can last for 3 more years but I wonder how with decreased return on investment due to a lack of network TV package is going to attract sponsorship $$ in large enough amounts to not only create self supporting teams but a paying series sponsor as well.

Personally I was also worried from the get go when PG began making merger/unification overtures before the whole buyout even took place. Most of the amigo's have talked to some degree about the need for a unified series as the only way OW racing will grow. Somehow I have a feeling this whole thing will be over with before the 3 years are up. The smart ones at the earl are already feeling the pressure and seeing the writing on the wall. One way or another I believe there will be a unified series before 3 years is up. Whether it's something I wanna watch is another matter. Otherwise, I don't think there will be much left of OW racing in this country to matter about by then.

Exactly, I think you hit the nail on the head. Most importantly, will it be something I want to watch....only time will tell.

BNica
06-30-04, 11:30 AM
So long as the Amigos stick with their plan, and are able to eventually post a profit or be close to breaking even, these next couple years the series should be okay. We do need an upturn in economy.

nrc
06-30-04, 12:59 PM
If you answered 'No' then why are you here? This is a fan page not an online wake.

Whether one likes a series is a completely different question from whether it can survive as a business. I said 'yes', but it's certainly not a slam-dunk.

Racing Truth
06-30-04, 03:33 PM
If it's between Kevin Kalkhoven, Gerry Forsythe, Paul Gentilozzi and the Idiotgrandson; I think I know who is going to win.

NASCAR????

Look, I'll take KK, PG, and GF over TG, but not with that much enthusiasm.

The point is, despite protestations from both sides, both series are weak, about equally so, and continue to bleed. No one has a true upper hand here, IMHO.

Racing Truth
06-30-04, 03:38 PM
Amen and well stated.

Paltry television ratings will seal the fate of meaningful open wheel racing in North America. In CART's best days they lagged behind NASCAR, yet were decent enough to maintain a first rate brand of racing and now, with two disfuntional series they're abysmal. Certainly two series is not in the best interest of open wheel racing and the current scenario cannot go on for ever. Whether Champcar can continue to hopefully be something akin to what we've known in the past is probably as much in the hands of "others" as it is in the hands of the amigos.

Yep. Neither series, esp. the IRL, control their own destiny at this point.

To answer the question, as long as The Three Amigos want to spend money, sure it can.

Ankf00
06-30-04, 04:17 PM
You aren't labeled a lemming if you point out a flaw in the armor (except for SOG, just kidding),

No. You had it correct the first time. We call SOG LemmingO for a reason!

RichK
06-30-04, 04:42 PM
I voted no, but I thought about it on the ride home last night. I think CCWS will survive into the future. What remains to be seen, is if they will be worth watching. Street races from Elbonia will not be Tivo'ed at the K residence.

Anyway, I change my vote.

RTKar
06-30-04, 09:18 PM
I voted no, but I thought about it on the ride home last night. I think CCWS will survive into the future. What remains to be seen, is if they will be worth watching. Street races from Elbonia will not be Tivo'ed at the K residence.

Anyway, I change my vote.

Another AMEN...this is beginning to sound like a revival.

pkvracing12
07-01-04, 11:12 AM
I voted yes. ChampCar racing has such a big fan base and the owners have such passion for what they're doing. They bought the series they don't want to see it go under. IRL might have all the teams and drivers and everyone thinks there doing good ,but if you look at it the way I do look At Miami Homestead compared to Long Beach There is not enough manicans in the world to fill the void that Homestead had. LBGP was blasted with fans all weekend, and was a great profit for OWRS. I say give it a few more years
untill CCWS begins to be the major open wheel racing series in the USA.
I think by next year they will have better things happening more teams and drivers will be there, a better tv package and more sponsors. If this is the case move over nascar and let CCWS come through!

RTKar
07-01-04, 12:23 PM
I voted yes. ChampCar racing has such a big fan base and the owners have such passion for what they're doing. They bought the series they don't want to see it go under. IRL might have all the teams and drivers and everyone thinks there doing good ,but if you look at it the way I do look At Miami Homestead compared to Long Beach There is not enough manicans in the world to fill the void that Homestead had. LBGP was blasted with fans all weekend, and was a great profit for OWRS. I say give it a few more yearsuntill CCWS begins to be the major open wheel racing series in the USA.
I think by next year they will have better things happening more teams and drivers will be there, a better tv package and more sponsors. If this is the case move over nascar and let CCWS come through!

"Give" is the operative word...in this sport nothing is given. The "few" years are going to cost millions of the amigos dollars to keep the ship afloat until a self supporting series can be generated, if it can be generated. With tobacco sponsorship in motor sports seemingly going out the door and the general state of affairs in open wheel racing in North America, including an almost absolute need for manufacturer involvement, I see a very uncertain road ahead.Afterall, we are already using aging specs with one very supportive engine mfg. It'll take tremendous leadership and wherewithall by the OWRS group to forge a self sustaining series. I don't think the economics of racing, especially formula car, have ever been that sound and in this day and age it's even less so. What was usually a province for rich guys playing around, now has become a business. The large carrot for making it a viable enterprise is exposure to a sizable television audience. Until that audience exists, the sport is on very unsound footing..... Reality is sometimes a tough thing to accept.

Mike Kellner
07-01-04, 12:42 PM
First off, I find "Three Amigo's" as offensive as C^RT. It is an attempt to marginalize the leadership of ChampCar, by drawing a rhetorical image of them as the buffons in that movie. Anyone who uses that terminology is immediately suspect as an agent of disinformation, agitprop, and defeatism.

All the posts about all the problems are just more of the same old, same old. G&D propagandists have dogged us on the ChampCar loyalist fora from the beginning. They have never said anything other than what they are saying today. An endless stream of negative BS. <YAWN>

Stop and think for a minute. We are the series which is selling tickets, which is different from making them a manditory option with NASCAR tickets. The races do not need TV to survive. They need ticket sales. The series has sponsors, and if we have them after the near death experience of last winter, we will have more next year, given the way things have improved. We do not have to have manufacturer support to have motors. Ford is nice to have on our side, and losing them would be a loss, but if it comes to that, we could revert to F5000 style stock blocks, which would likely cost less than the current Cosworths. We don't need Bridgestone. It is nice that they support us, but some other tire company will make tires if they don't. I think the TV will improve. Again, that we are on TV at all is a miracle after last winter.

In short, take the D&G, and defeatism and shove it. Better still, take it over to T*** Forum/Splitsville where you wil be hailed as a genius for the same posts. ChampCar is alive and well, is getting healthier with every race, and ain't going anywhere but up.

mk

RTKar
07-01-04, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry but I can't stick my head in the sand and cry out , "All is well" when it isn't. We aren't out of the woods yet.

I'm not a member of Trackforum, never have been, never will be.

My favorite series was CART and is currently Champcar along with F1. I prefer natural terrain road courses...let the record show.

I'm too lazy to type in the personal names of the leadership, therefore "amigos".

"The races do not need TV to survive."...you are correct. Individual races do not need tv ratings but without tv ratings, the SERIES won't survive. Why would anyone want to sponsor a car in a series, to the tune of millions, that no one cares about?

The question was posed.... I gave an answer. Should we all be Champcar gomers and all vote the same?....wouldn't make for an interesting forum, smacks of McCarthyism... getting rid of anyone that speaks the truth as they see it.

I'm hardly an insider but I would suspect some level of support from mfg's is required for any racing series to succeed beyond club level.

I actually do attend races, quite a few of them and I've been attending them for years... on my own nickel....no freebies. I've been to one irl race and that was the 497.5 last year because my father wanted to go. I will never attend another. I will continue to attend Champcar races as long as the series provides something interesting to me.

I've chatted with motorsports writers about the situation and more importantly many of the members of this and other forums and any optimism for Champcar's future is at best cautious. Most of them have at least some sense of realism to the poor state of affairs in open wheel racing in North America today.

Frankly, I think Champcar is in far better shape for the long term than tg's league which is fine by me, however it's precarious. The irl will collapse due to it's own ineptitude. I expect Honda and Toyota to pull out, possibly even rejoin Champcar.

I cannot blindly follow any path, it tends to lead to things like burning books and throwing bricks through church windows....it just isn't me.

rk

nrc
07-01-04, 02:07 PM
I guess Cleveland just voted "yes". :thumbup:

RTKar
07-01-04, 02:36 PM
I guess Cleveland just voted "yes". :thumbup:

I'll try to boost the TV ratings...a fractious band of one... :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
07-01-04, 02:46 PM
I voted yes, and so have OWRS.

07/01/04
Paul Gentilozzi told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, "Champ Car is not for sale, simple as that."

"What that means is, we will not sell our company and just go away."

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1088679360254830.xml)
:cry: gomers

racer2c
07-01-04, 02:49 PM
First off, I find "Three Amigo's" as offensive as C^RT. It is an attempt to marginalize the leadership of ChampCar, by drawing a rhetorical image of them as the buffons in that movie. Anyone who uses that terminology is immediately suspect as an agent of disinformation, agitprop, and defeatism.

All the posts about all the problems are just more of the same old, same old. G&D propagandists have dogged us on the ChampCar loyalist fora from the beginning. They have never said anything other than what they are saying today. An endless stream of negative BS. <YAWN>

Stop and think for a minute. We are the series which is selling tickets, which is different from making them a manditory option with NASCAR tickets. The races do not need TV to survive. They need ticket sales. The series has sponsors, and if we have them after the near death experience of last winter, we will have more next year, given the way things have improved. We do not have to have manufacturer support to have motors. Ford is nice to have on our side, and losing them would be a loss, but if it comes to that, we could revert to F5000 style stock blocks, which would likely cost less than the current Cosworths. We don't need Bridgestone. It is nice that they support us, but some other tire company will make tires if they don't. I think the TV will improve. Again, that we are on TV at all is a miracle after last winter.

In short, take the D&G, and defeatism and shove it. Better still, take it over to T*** Forum/Splitsville where you wil be hailed as a genius for the same posts. ChampCar is alive and well, is getting healthier with every race, and ain't going anywhere but up.

mk

OUch! Slapped in the face! For one thing, I was just trying to gauge opinions on the issue from the only Champ Car forum that matters. The only forum I read at that. I don't see how asking for Champ Car fans opinions of the fact that a popular journalist For another thing, to fall back on the old standard, "don't shoot the messenger", it was Mr. Philip's sentiments, not mine. He has historically been one one of the few pro CART/Champ Car journalist throughout. For him to say that neither series can survive with the status quo is disturbing to say the least.
Oh, and I agree with you about the Three Amigos thing. I used it in this instance as a way out of typing their names every time and I hate the OWRS acronym.

KLang
07-01-04, 03:02 PM
I think we'll have a much better idea when we see how next years schedule and sponsorship shakes out.

I voted yes.

RaceGrrl
07-01-04, 03:41 PM
Oh, and I agree with you about the Three Amigos thing. I used it in this instance as a way out of typing their names every time and I hate the OWRS acronym.

Can I just say that I hate the "Three Amigos" thing too. It's lame.

Madmaxfan2
07-01-04, 04:26 PM
I voted Yes, Get over the three Amigos label thing. It is not important what they are called and who called them that. The fact is the "Three Gentlemen" have prevailed against great odds to pull off this season. I believe that fact alone gives great hope for future success. Top Level Formula Car Road racing is too good of a concept to keep down, despite all the Indiana hammers and other tools out there. The suspect product is all oval formula car racing, the providers of that product know it.

racer2c
07-01-04, 05:49 PM
How about suggestions. Such as "the Owners", or K.G and F?

Mike Kellner
07-01-04, 06:11 PM
KG&F?

Turn7
07-01-04, 06:34 PM
If you are claiming that you need an easy method of typing the owners of the Champ Car series why not do it by simply using OWRS. That is the holding company that in essence represents "the Amigos". I understand the reluctency to use their names because I can't spell them either. So, just use OWRS when referring to the holding co. partners and use Champ Car when you're talking about the racing series.

Simple enough?

Mike Kellner
07-01-04, 06:37 PM
That sounds fine as well.

Do not give the enemy the rhetorical victory of defining the terms of debate.

mk

racer2c
07-01-04, 08:00 PM
Yes Mom and Dad. I promise never to do it again. Can I go to my room now? Please? :p

Mike Kellner
07-01-04, 08:03 PM
Are the dishes done?

mk

cart7
07-02-04, 06:22 AM
Forgive me all. How could I treat the owners with such disrespect. :p Anyway, my comments are merely looking at the situation from a business aspect and I tried to leave my heart and it's desires out of it.

Just entertaining the thought for a moment of 2 OW racing series continuing on out 3 years just doesn't seem plausible. The economy isn't supporting the 2 we have now. Even Nascar has got teams tightening purse strings. Again, I have no idea just how commited the OWRS team is to this fight if it comes to draining large portions of their own private holdings for an extended period of time. Heck, I don't know much about KK at all. Not to mention the external factors trying to chip away at the CCWS, led by FTG, and some things may be out of everyones control.

IMO, I'm not so certain the group isn't in a hold 'em or fold 'em stare down with TG. It looks like Roger and John Barnes are already calling. To me, the very presence of a 2nd racing series threatens the earl. Keep the thing going by withholding the best venues, street and roads and I think the ex-Cart owners will start caving one at a time. The erosion will be from within led by the company's now financing the earl, T & H. I think this is a waiting game at this point and it looks like the earl is already starting to fold.

gjc2
07-02-04, 07:01 AM
The economy isn't supporting the 2 we have now.

The economy never has, and never will support the IRL. I really believe at some point TG will have to give in to family pressure and pull the plug on the IRL, or reduce it to one race. For the I500 to become a Cup race, Charlotte would have to give up there Memorial Day date. As crowded as NASCAR's schedule is now I also doubt TG would get two Cup races. He now has three big events at the speedway, at least two of which make money. If he gives up on open wheel racing for Memorial Day he will have only one profitable day a year.

George

Madmaxfan2
07-02-04, 09:12 AM
It is true that the economy cannot support two heathly open wheel series.
Given how the events have unfolded, OWRS ought to stick to their guns, and watch the prodigal teams come back. As far as the Indy 500 is concerned, it would not suprise me that the IRL will "exist" with only one race. After all, the USAC GOLD crown series was just the INDY 500 in the years of 1980-1995, and Silver Crown dirt cars ran the Pocano 500 in 1980 as field fillers. Delusion is one trait that is a constant at 16th and Georgetown. This time though, the INDY 500 ought not to count towards the Champ Car championship.

SurfaceUnits
07-02-04, 01:12 PM
The international opportunities for OWRS will be their saving grace. The US market won't support one open wheel series.