PDA

View Full Version : Could Canada Be Key To "Merge"?

TedN
06-29-04, 12:08 PM
Story Here (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/06/29/518653.html)

Ted

Methanolandbrats
06-29-04, 12:20 PM
I'm tired of all this "merger" ****. The only acceptable solution is FTG stripped of all power and all IRL equipment on Ebay. Then there will be one series.

RaceGrrl
06-29-04, 12:20 PM
"I think all three of them are business guys and the good news is that they run the business and make the decisions, not 5,000 shareholders," Penske said.

...Like the few shares of stock nrc and had made one bit of difference in the direction CART's BOD took. :rolleyes:

Would I like to see a strong OW series in the US? Yes. As a ticket-buying fan, I will never support any series that TG has a controlling interest in. TG, Penske and the rest of the traitors tried to kill CART. I'll never forget that, and as long as TG has any control in OW racing, I will not follow that series.

It is good to see Penske et al twisting in the wind.

devilmaster
06-29-04, 12:30 PM
This story is basically a mix of 2 other stories.....

Nothing new really.

Steve

Napoleon
06-29-04, 12:43 PM
...Like the few shares of stock nrc and had made one bit of difference in the direction CART's BOD took. :rolleyes:

I just knew it was you twos fault.

Chaos
06-29-04, 12:58 PM
...Like the few shares of stock nrc and had made one bit of difference in the direction CART's BOD took.

It's too late now, but CART should've disolved itself after 2002 and sold its assets then.

GOFAST1
06-29-04, 04:28 PM
I'm tired of all this "merger" ****. The only acceptable solution is FTG stripped of all power and all IRL equipment on Ebay. Then there will be one series.

Agree! I don't see Canadian tracks suffering with Champcar racing as is. I'm sure - enough that Canadian fans know the difference.

oddlycalm
06-29-04, 05:07 PM

Agreed. No difference between today and any other day for the last 9yrs.
Talking publically about a single series without mentioning TG and his part in it is about a silly as trying to carry on Sunday dinner while steadfastly ignoring a large Norwegian wharf rat busily browsing on the dinner table.

People continue to be in denial, and that's entirely understandable. They are rational people so they assume that at some point TG will be rational also, and therein lies their error. TG is not rational. His upbringing didn't require him to acquire common sense and survival skills, so it shouldn't really be a big surprise that he has none. The other aspect of the situation that rational people seem to overlook is that because TG is the goofy f***wit that he is, any solution involving him to any serious degree would likely be doomed to failure. Remove TG from the equation and the rest it is duck soup. Leave him in place and you simply never get there.

I made the statement back in the early days of 7G that the best solution would be for CART buy the IMS and out an end to Hulman involvement. My comment was scoffed at, and people told me that it would cost zillions, etc., etc., but in reality, it still remains one of the few workable solutions. Finding the money to do it is what investment bankers are for. As far as price, there are a number of methods that are used to correctly value a companies and their properties. In the end, everyone has their price. The alternative is to suffer along while this idiot screws up the works for the rest of his natural life. Penske and others involved have done acquisitions larger than what IMS would be, so I remain somewhat surprised nobody has done it.

oc

sundaydriver2
06-29-04, 05:18 PM
FTG will never agree to anything if it means yielding ANY power to OWRS. He has shown that he is not willing to negociate time and time again.

And I'm sure OWRS principles would be willing to give a few things up to find a workable solution but the Idiotgrandson is, well, an idiot.

Therefore, there will not be a merger (Thank GOD) and the IRL will die a slow death.

racer2c
06-29-04, 05:24 PM
If the Page and Goodyear's comments are any indication, it sounds like the 3.0l engines aren't a 'hit'. It takes too long to get a crapwagon back up to speed when you get out of the throttle (funny how they never mention the downforce). So, what do they do? Maybe add a turbo and drop to a 2.65l? I see a Champ Car solution!
But seriously, if Tony was a silent 'board member' like he wanted to be 14 years ago and the crapwagons were flushed, I'd watch. Heck, I'd go back to Indy.

Ankf00
06-29-04, 05:37 PM
so I'm thinking Friday at my cube, I'll cook up some burgers on the Weber in my neighbor's cube, and put a ponykeg of something good in a third cube...

what do y'all think 'bout noon'ish?

KobySon
06-29-04, 06:01 PM
Penske: "And we tried not to discuss things that wouldn't bring things to an abrupt end."

what? :confused:

farging cork soaking yen whooer.

TedN
07-05-04, 12:14 PM
Potential Deal Breaker? (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/07/05/525640.html)

Ted

Jag_Warrior
07-05-04, 12:36 PM
so I'm thinking Friday at my cube, I'll cook up some burgers on the Weber in my neighbor's cube, and put a ponykeg of something good in a third cube...

what do y'all think 'bout noon'ish?

I say, go for it! :thumbup:

I'll try to hook you up with a company down in Amarillo later in the summer. Can't be missing car payments now. :laugh:

Jag_Warrior
07-05-04, 12:51 PM
Penske: "And we tried not to discuss things that wouldn't bring things to an abrupt end."

what? :confused:

farging cork soaking yen whooer.

What's with all the foot shuffling?! Peniske, Chuckles Andretti and Fat@$$i will soon control about half the cars on the IRL grid. Make a deal (that they're happy with), take it to Tony "Escobar" George and tell him how it's gonna be... or there might be a sit down strike around the end of May next year.

Coca Boy has burned the IRL faithful (and they're pretty much broke), so with the engine supply in the hands of outside insiders, why is this hard??? The only thing George controls now is his bowels... if these people want to make some sort of deal, fine. But since it's been ten years, if they need six months of meetings to figure out what's good for the sport, there's no need for a "deal" = they don't have a clue!

CCWS needs some engine suppliers/manufacturers with ad money, some new chassis (light, nimble, sleek and sessy!), a couple more teams (with sponsors!) and some network TV races for '06. Focus on that and $crew all this IRL talk! Too much talk! Too many meetings! All the time talking! No action! It's hard following a sport that mirrors my work life! :flame:

sundaydriver2
07-05-04, 01:00 PM
"Tony George was not part of Penske's deal-making but he has sent out word that any merged series would have to be under his control," the source said.

What a surprise.

Looks like Bridgestone is going to be out of the IRL and Champ Car. I'm sure there are a few other tire mfg's who would be willing to come in and supply tires to Champ Car. I'm not worried.

SurfaceUnits
07-05-04, 01:13 PM
A certain Korean tire company is very interested, and there is another Japanese tire company other than Bridgestone that shows up at most ChampCar weekends. Only the money might be the stickler

nrc
07-05-04, 01:27 PM
What's with all the foot shuffling?! Peniske, Chuckles Andretti and Fat@$$i will soon control about half the cars on the IRL grid. Make a deal (that they're happy with), take it to Tony "Escobar" George and tell him how it's gonna be... or there might be a sit down strike around the end of May next year.

They're owned by Honda and Toyota just like everything else in that series. H&T are too busy fighting their own personal war to worry about what's right for open wheel racing in America. If they would come to their senses and recognize that what little publicity their little circle track squabble is bringing them is more then out-weighed by the ill will that they're generating on both sides they could probably make a power play like the one you're talking about work.

Penske is probably the last owner on that side of the fence with any leverage of his own, and his actions are probably inspired by the realization that he'll soon be losing that leverage.

Clown
07-05-04, 02:14 PM
Tony George was not part of Penske's deal-making but he has sent out word that any merged series would have to be under his control
Actually thats good news.
The 3 doods will never let that little tool run their company, so no merger :thumbup:

indyfan31
07-05-04, 03:06 PM
"I'm not an emissary for Tony (George) and I don't have an agenda..." Penske said.

Does he think the American racing public has been under a rock for the past decade? He's starting to sound like Baghdad Bob, "there are no American troops in Baghdad!"

sundaydriver2
07-05-04, 04:05 PM
The only way there is going to be one series is if Fatassi, Peniski, and the other traitor bastards decide enough is enough and quit the IRL. I don't see that happening until Fonda and Yoyo take their cash and go Nascabing.

Maybe then we'll see some sort of a merger.

BTW, I dont GAF if it ever happens. I just hope Champ Car goes about their business and forgets about the Gomerville 497. Seeing the Earl fail would be priceless.

audi quattro
07-05-04, 04:25 PM
As long as the earl 500 is in the earl, pimski gannasi adn andreeti will be suckling on george. No chance that they will return to champcar.
That is prolly why they want a merger now that they have experienced the earl league.

Cmndr Keen
07-05-04, 06:57 PM
Forget any thoughts of a merger. The Earl500 is gone and so are those that kneel at the altar of the Speedway. It's better that way and no one knows who the fossils are anyway.... Hopefully the guys running Champ Car aren't doing so on the chance of being able to play "nice, nice" with King George. How many times does the guy have to demonstrate what he's about before people get it? When he starts to see the bottom of his bank account, maybe we'll see a merger. If this thing can't be turned into something viable on it's own merits....

KobySon
07-05-04, 09:55 PM
Potential Deal Breaker? (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/07/05/525640.html)

Ted

"Anything else is just speculation by people who don't know," he said. "I don't think that we need the IRL to be successful. And I don't think they need us for whatever version of success (they envision)."

:rofl: