PDA

View Full Version : Racing = Entertainment?

Cam
06-28-04, 11:13 PM
RM said that The Richmond race this weekend was one of the most "entertaining" he has ever seen.

I didnt watch it, but I don't really watch racing for the "entertainment" I watch for the sport.... The excitement. The passion.

If I want entertainment I will go to a circus!

Thoughts?

Methanolandbrats
06-28-04, 11:20 PM
I watched the first few laps to see what it was like. It sucked.

racer2c
06-28-04, 11:21 PM
I was very surprised by robins comments about the Richmond race. I thought it was a very ho-hum race. All of the IRL races this year, including Indy just seem like smaller heat races in between lone yellows. The only saving grace at Richmond is that they actually get out of the throttle in the corners. A rarity for that series.

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-04, 11:24 PM
Well, I wouldn't watch racing if I didn't want to be entertained. However, that being said, the definition of "entertainment" can be very broad or very narrow and my definition doesn't include the IRL much (if at all) anymore.

Cam
06-28-04, 11:37 PM
I need to add... This post is not intended as any kind of series bashing post (Ido not want it to become one). Thats why I put it in community rather than the racing fora....

I was just surprised at the entertainment comment and what everyone else thought.

JohnHKart
06-29-04, 02:28 AM
I watch it for the competition and racing and for the excitement and passion, all of which I guess adds up to entertainment. It's heartbreaking when the entertainment includes watching people like Darrell Russell get killed. Richmond did suck, so I can't understand what was so great about it.

JH

chop456
06-29-04, 03:17 AM
It's different things to different people.

I'd rather watch the worst F1 race in history than watch a wheel-to-wheel EARL drone fest.

That's just me, though.

montlhery
06-29-04, 06:31 AM
Maybe you've missed the marketing direction of the last several years, but CART, IRL and F1 have come to the decision that the way to attract more fans is to turn the sport into an entertainment event. Notice all the hoopla. And, with some of the rules in place, I often feel like I'm watching parades instead of races!

Methanolandbrats
06-29-04, 07:47 AM
Richmond was entertaining to the same people who like wingwalking and high wire acts. The potential for disaster is huge and some people like that. Is it racing? No. It is barely competition, much less racing.

4wheeldrifter
06-29-04, 07:47 AM
Put me in the category of "The IRL had a race this past weekend"?