PDA

View Full Version : GamePro Magazine Review of IndyCar Series 2005

Insomniac
06-28-04, 01:41 PM
I was flipping through it and saw this. It was entertaining.

Although the Indy Racing League is considered to be a low-tier racing alliance compared to CART and Formula One, it still possesses what many race junkies enjoy: a high-speed adrenaline rush. This year's IndyCar Series once again gives speedsters complete access to IRL's top drivers like Gil de Ferran and Helio Castroneves in an open-wheel simulation that will have you flying around oval tracks at very high speeds. There are 15 official courses offered, including the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Twin Ring Motegi Speedway in Japan. This time around, the game can support third-party steering wheels, plus you can go head-to-head online with up to 12 drivers simultaneously. The early version of IndyCar Series 2005 still needed a lot of visual polish, but the controls were already calibrated for a smooth ride.

racer2c
06-28-04, 01:58 PM
Is this from the UK developer, CodeMasters? They did the the first IRL game. Kinda funny how a UK developer makes the IRL game. :gomer:

devilmaster
06-28-04, 02:19 PM
Personally, I like CodeMasters, one of my favorite racing games was the TOCA2 touring car challenge game based on the BTCC.

They did alot better than MicroShaft did with CART Precision racing, although I still use that CD to this day....

as a coaster.

Steve

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-04, 02:24 PM
TOCA Race Driver 2 for Xbox is a good game, but the flaws that are there are pretty strange. Like shattering windshields in a stock car, or the fact that the Dallara style cars ("America 1000") can hit 260 around Texas. :saywhat:

I was going to say the other unrealistic part was you can touch wheels in one of those cars and not launch the car, but apparently that is not the case anymore.

Insomniac
06-29-04, 10:42 AM
Is this from the UK developer, CodeMasters? They did the the first IRL game. Kinda funny how a UK developer makes the IRL game. :gomer:

It is by CodeMasters.

Insomniac
06-29-04, 10:46 AM
Personally, I like CodeMasters, one of my favorite racing games was the TOCA2 touring car challenge game based on the BTCC.

They did alot better than MicroShaft did with CART Precision racing, although I still use that CD to this day....

as a coaster.

Steve

I remember beta testing that game. It was pretty good as far as how you can adjust so many aspects of the car. It was a pretty good sim for 1996. I wish it had an arcade mode besides "no damage". It was quite frustrating never getting through turn one without a broken front wing or suspension.

B3RACER1a
06-29-04, 12:10 PM
The early version of IndyCar Series 2005 still needed a lot of visual polish

So it is a realistic sim? :D

devilmaster
06-29-04, 12:50 PM
I remember beta testing that game. It was pretty good as far as how you can adjust so many aspects of the car. It was a pretty good sim for 1996. I wish it had an arcade mode besides "no damage". It was quite frustrating never getting through turn one without a broken front wing or suspension.

OTOH, my biggest beefs with the game were twofold. 1, that in the BTCC series, there was always the threat of being pulled from the seat (which ended the game) quicker than a Coyne driver if you had a couple bad races. (even if you were leading in the points! finally found the cheat code to disable that) and 2, that the hardest level was quite easy once you had enough time playing it. (well maybe not for rabbit, considering his story on the sprint sims.... ;) :D sorry john)

But all in all, it was a great game.... working your way up the ladder system was alot of fun. And once you had the cheat codes, it made it alot more fun..... (one code made the races full distance)

Yer right though, it was 1996 when it came out (has it been that long? ugh) and it definitely shows its age. But i still throw it on from time to time, and start all over again with it. There is still a small following for it on the net, last time i checked. A definite must have for any racesim driver's collection.

Steve

rabbit
06-29-04, 01:58 PM
... and 2, that the hardest level was quite easy once you had enough time playing it. (well maybe not for rabbit, considering his story on the sprint sims.... ;) :D sorry john) ....

SteveLet's put you up against some real drivers and see how you do Mr. Smarty-Pants. :p I certainly wasn't the first guy to ever get smoked in a sprint car by Jack Hewitt or Greg Wilson. :cry:

Wabbit
06-29-04, 02:37 PM
When Townsend Bell was still driving Indy Lights, I went head-to-head with him at a video game at COMDEX.

He lost :D

devilmaster
06-29-04, 10:15 PM
Let's put you up against some real drivers and see how you do Mr. Smarty-Pants. I certainly wasn't the first guy to ever get smoked in a sprint car by Jack Hewitt or Greg Wilson.

According to your story, you didn't get smoked by those guys..... your got smoked by your own car after you consistently rolled it over and over, no? ;) :laugh:

But it'd be neat to go against the professionals, i'll admit that.... i'll have to get the game and practice at home and then i'll bring my 'A' game.

After that, we'll work on getting you into the two-seater champcar. I got 5 that says you press the button.... ;)

Steve

Cam
06-29-04, 11:09 PM
I got 5 that says you press the button.... ;)

Steve

5 what???? Loonies? Not worth it! ;)

devilmaster
06-29-04, 11:30 PM
5 what???? Loonies? Not worth it! ;)

If I had 5 loonies together, it'd be your family reunion, cam :p ;)

Steve

rabbit
06-30-04, 11:48 AM
If I had 5 loonies together, it'd be your family reunion, cam :p ;)

Steve
:rofl: