PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Russell Killed In Gateway Crash

Jag_Warrior
06-27-04, 11:16 PM
I tuned in after the crash had taken place but they just announced this on ESPN. Condolences to his family and friends.

Top Fueler Russell Killed In Crash (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/motorsports/9027678.htm?1c)

The Doctor
06-27-04, 11:23 PM
I tuned in after the crash had taken place but they just announced this on ESPN. Condolences to his family and friends.

Top Fueler Russell Killed In Crash (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/motorsports/9027678.htm?1c)

Darrell Russell was a good guy and a good racer... the drag racing world will miss him. Condolences to his family, friends, and the entire NHRA community. :(

Railbird
06-27-04, 11:26 PM
Thoughts and prayers for the family.

JoeBob
06-27-04, 11:29 PM
:(

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and fans.

Al Czervik
06-28-04, 12:17 AM
I hate this part of the sport. My sympathies to family, crew, friends, and fans.

JohnHKart
06-28-04, 06:03 AM
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've taped this race but haven't watched it yet so I didn't know there was any crash. I've often thought over the years it's an utter miracle more Top Fuelers haven't been killed. He was a great guy, that win of his a few weeks ago was fantastic. This is so horrible. I am very sorry.

John

cart7
06-28-04, 07:38 AM
Very sad, my thoughts and prayers to the family. :(

Turn7
06-28-04, 08:16 AM
May God bless his family and friends in their time of grief. Allowing them to remember everything that he was and not focus on this tragic ending. He obviously died doing what he loved to do.

R.I.P.

Andrew Longman
06-28-04, 11:23 AM
ESPN says his car broke apart after the chutes were deployed. I did not see the race. Is that correct? That indicates a failure in the frame?

If true and it was avoidable, the crew must feel even more awful about a truly tragic accident.

Thoughts and prayers for the family and team.

The Doctor
06-28-04, 11:37 AM
ESPN says his car broke apart after the chutes were deployed. I did not see the race. Is that correct? That indicates a failure in the frame?

It was a rear tire failure after the parachute deployed that caused his car to hit the wall rear-end first. Also, everything I've read so far has indicated the cockpit was intact.

Edit: This speedtv.com article sheds more light on the situation...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/dragracing/11769

Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell died Sunday as a result of a crash during race eliminations at an NHRA National event at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Russell was extracted from his dragster by NHRA emergency services officials and transported by air to the St. Louis Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

Russell's car veered out of control just past the finish line, evidently shredding a tire after Russell activated his brake parachute. The car veered sideways and hit a concrete wall rear-end first. The NHRA safety crew quickly extinguished a small fire that erupted around the wreckage.

Dan Brickey, director of emergency medical services for the NHRA, told the Indianapolis Star that the driver's compartment was intact when the rescue team arrived. The workers cut away the roll cage, immobilized Russell's spine and then took off his helmet and the mandatory head-and-neck restraint device before loading him onto a backboard and taking him to the ambulance. Brickey said Russell was unconscious but breathing when he was taken by helicopter to St. Louis University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Russell, driver of the dragster owned by NHRA legend Joe Amato, had been the Gateway event's top qualifier and was coming off a victory recently in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had earned six victories in 17 final rounds. He posted a career-best fourth place points finish in 2003 and was fourth in the Top Fuel points standings.

Dave99
06-28-04, 12:40 PM
You would be hard pressed to find a more likable guy in the paddock than Darrell Russell.

Thoughts, prayers, sympathy, condolances to everyone who knew him. :(

pchall
06-28-04, 01:52 PM

This is, indeed, a cruel sport.

Turn7
06-28-04, 02:04 PM

If true and it was avoidable, the crew must feel even more awful about a truly tragic accident.

Thoughts and prayers for the family and team.

I was watching it last night and if the chutes were deployed, then they never did expand. He crossed the line and the whole car just basically disintegrated. In an instant it became a bent up hunk of metal spiraling down the track in a wishbone shape ending up against the wall and busting into a shortly live ball of fire.

Sort of like Bracks TMS wreck, you just knew that he was more than likely dead. I am glad my initial thoughts about Brack were wrong, it wasn't the case yesterday.

Madmaxfan2
06-28-04, 02:09 PM
This was not the first drag racing death at Gateway. In 1974, when Gateway was just a pit of 1/4 mile drag facility, one pro stock car lost a motor, spun on the oil, and headed directly into the stands, which at that time only had residential chain link fencing and one high strand of armco. It was in the days of the AHRA, which no longer exists. I was there. Last pro drag racing event I went to. Several spectators died, and of course the crowd was not made aware of the fatalities.

JoeBob
06-28-04, 07:20 PM
For those who would like to see what happened, ESPN Motion has video of the crash: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/motion/showcase/index?videos=1830854&CMP=ILC-Motion_AUTOS_Edit

Rogue Leader
06-28-04, 10:13 PM
This was not the first drag racing death at Gateway. In 1974, when Gateway was just a pit of 1/4 mile drag facility, one pro stock car lost a motor, spun on the oil, and headed directly into the stands, which at that time only had residential chain link fencing and one high strand of armco. It was in the days of the AHRA, which no longer exists. I was there. Last pro drag racing event I went to. Several spectators died, and of course the crowd was not made aware of the fatalities.

My Dad was at National Speedway here in NY (long gone now) when something similar happened during some amateur racing back in 69 or 70. A Chevelle lost it and flew into the stands, killed like 10 people.

Gangrel
06-29-04, 02:13 AM
I have been an NHRA fan since 1998, and had the opportunity to meet Darrell a little over a month ago at Rte. 66. Truly one of the nicest guys I have ever met in a racing paddock. He will be sorely missed. Godspeed, Darrell. :(

JohnHKart
06-29-04, 06:54 PM
Am still trying to understand where the fatal injury occurred. Didn't slow it down till it was on Wind Tunnell....and it looks to me that maybe some of the tire or other debris hit his helmet. But perhaps something else occurred when the chassis broke up .

John

JoeBob
06-29-04, 07:00 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Auto+Racing/BB9300C6A135860186256EC20017CCFE?OpenDocument&Headline=Head+injury+killed+racer+at+Gateway

According to the medical examiner, he died of a head injury.

"How he got the injury, we're working on that," Graham said. "We have to look at all the debris to see what caused the injury. Either something struck him or he struck something. It's not just from jostling his head around."

There was damage to his helmet. Apparently, on "The Truth" it was said that it was a wing strut that hit him.

Dave99
06-29-04, 10:00 PM
As sad as this is, it is nice to see drivers, owners and NHRA officials strive for safety improvements to ensure this type of accident is not repeated.

Could the same be said of certain drivers, owners and officials in a certain league? :shakehead

JohnHKart
06-29-04, 10:45 PM
Just after writing my last post, picked up today's Sports section of the LA Times, cannot find the brief news item online, but it stated that Russell was hit by a piece of debris that penetrated his helmet and head.

John

JoeBob
06-29-04, 11:39 PM
Here's the LA times bit: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire29jun29,1,1660288.story

Fio1
06-30-04, 01:27 AM
RIP dude. I don't really follow drag racing, but know Russell was one of the main boys. I feel bad for his family, friends and team Amato. Sad day.

Just after writing my last post, picked up today's Sports section of the LA Times, cannot find the brief news item online, but it stated that Russell was hit by a piece of debris that penetrated his helmet and head.

John

I'm actually surprised that doesn't happen more often. These guys are strapped to a bomb. I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of HP these cars have. The top fuel drivers have my respect, because I sure as heck won't do it!

When they get off the line, it is incredible when you are stand 20-30 feet from the car. This is something that everyone who loves motorsports has to experience. Unbelievable!

Andrew Longman
06-30-04, 12:13 PM
The reports of debris and a head injury are starting to make sense.

It was an awful crash, but he didn't really hit anything very hard, the explosion was behind Darrell, and the cockpit was intact. But debris fly forward and invading the helmet explains a lot. The explosion was plenty enough violent.

The tire shreading and the frame collapsing happened almost in the same instant so it is hard to tell what caused what.

I am amazed that tires don't come apart more often. I can't even figure how they keep them on the rims at that hp. Shreading rubber at 300mph is very frightening.

Also glad to see that the NHRA is already well into an investigation to understand the cause. Thier commitment to safety is why these monsters don't hurt more drivers.

Rest easy Darrell

JohnHKart
06-30-04, 06:38 PM
Something I found interesting is that the moment his head moves forward from the presumed impact, the top of the metal on the chassis buckles, (in front of the cockpit) and you can sort of see it looks as if it too was hit with the debris.

John

dando
06-30-04, 10:38 PM
Safety improvements announced by the NHRA seem to support the debris theory:

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1832258)

Beginning at the next national event -- the Mopar Mile-High Nationals on July 16-18 near Denver -- Top Fuel and Funny Car teams must run a new specification tire and all Top Fuel cars will be required to have roll cage shielding installed.

From what I saw, it appeared that suspension from the shredded tire struck the cockpit area violently.

RIP, Darrell. :(

-Kevin

Brickman
07-01-04, 02:51 AM
The accident was mild on TV. The results weren't. Sad. :(

RIP

cart7
07-01-04, 05:41 AM
Safety improvements announced by the NHRA seem to support the debris theory:

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1832258)

From what I saw, it appeared that suspension from the shredded tire struck the cockpit area violently.

RIP, Darrell. :(

-Kevin

That's what I saw too. The actual accident was pretty mild, I've seen far far worse. It did look like something from the rear came up from the side/rear and into the cockpit area.

JohnHKart
07-01-04, 06:06 AM
Don Garlits is one smart man....It's another example of closing the gate after the horse has gotten away. It's too bad this cockpit style wasn't mandated before the accident.

John

http://www.draglist.com/photoimages/Gators-2003/Don%20Garlits%20in%20the%20cockpit.jpg

Madmaxfan2
07-01-04, 09:42 AM
Don Garlits is one smart man....It's another example of closing the gate after the horse has gotten away. It's too bad this cockpit style wasn't mandated before the accident.

John

http://www.draglist.com/photoimages/Gators-2003/Don%20Garlits%20in%20the%20cockpit.jpg

Don Garlits was responsible most of the major design features of today's Top
Fuel Dragster.

cart7
07-01-04, 10:00 AM
I remember attending a few NHRA races at the old St. Louis Speedway (ie; now Gateway) some 20 + years ago. Before each round, Garlits himself walked the old decrepit track there to make sure it was in the best condition for racing.