PDA

View Full Version : Blue Flags for Local Yellows?

JoeBob
06-27-04, 05:06 PM
Since the front bumper is being used to signal "Move Over" I suppose you don't need those flags anyway. But, if other forms of racing can make a distinction between a local yellow and a FCY using the yellow flags, why can't NASCAR?

Who handles the corners for these events? It must take some getting used to to wave blue flags for local yellows.

Rogue Leader
06-27-04, 05:25 PM
Better than FCY's for everything.... with the amount these guys spin out and lose it, FCY's would slow the race to a crawl.... hey whatever works...

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 02:52 AM
I worked the corners for NASCAR (Turn 7, as it were) and believe me, if you thought it was confusing on TV, be glad you didn't work this race because we were EVEN MORE CONFUSED out on the corners.

It didn't help any that we, the flag corps, didn't get told about the blue flags until midway through practice on Friday. Before that, we'd been using standard SCCA flags, as directed by NASCAR. That's right - NASCAR changed flag rules in the middle of a race weekend. Go figure.

The befuddling NASCAR flag "rules" became an object of much derision and wonderment around the beer tables at Social and Worker Camping all weekend. :rofl: We kept wondering where these blue flags came from - I guessed that one of the Big Yellow Trailers had a top-secret flag manufacturing plant inside.

NASCAR stole Victoria's Secret - the cloth to make our "Blue Panty Flags."

In all seriousness, whoever made them obviously had never waved a flag in his life, because the material was so light, the slightest wind made them fold up and wrap around themselves. Ever tried to wave a blue stick when you've got two cars spun counter-course? I have...

Of course, we got treated like dirt (Social in the middle of the dragstrip, no garage access, generally no access at all), Trans-Am made up for all the hassles with a great show and several more workers swore off NASCAR for good. Just another Winston - oops, Nextel - Cup weekend at Sears Point - oops, Infineon - Raceway. :shakehead

The weekend's saving graces:

I got a suspension piece off Robby Gordon's car - now a paperweight.

Jim Swintal and Chris Kneifel brought us, the T7 Leads flag crew, some refreshing cold bottled water during the Southwest Series race on Saturday. This proves two things: 1. Champ Car's race staff are great people and class acts :thumbup: and 2. Always get stationed at the corner that's 25 yards from the Trans-Am Series paddock and tech trailer. :D

JoeBob
06-28-04, 03:41 PM
They had special "blue flags?!" I assumed that you guys just used the "move over" flags to signify "local yellow."

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 04:43 PM
Yep, special "blue flags" - solid blue, no yellow stripe, lingerie-thin material.

Straight out of the Intimates catalog.

Of course, NASCAR wanted them all back at the end of the race on Sunday. You guys who work The Glen are duly warned.

Did I mention that there was also a total BS debris caution thrown? We had a spring rubber two carwidths off the line in T7, called it in to Race Control and NASCAR decided that would be a good excuse for a commercial break. :shakehead

The SFRSCCA course marshal crew put on a good show of laying down grease sweep where there wasn't any grease to sweep. :saywhat:

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-04, 04:58 PM
Did I mention that there was also a total BS debris caution thrown? We had a spring rubber two carwidths off the line in T7, called it in to Race Control and NASCAR decided that would be a good excuse for a commercial break. :shakehead:

I've heard stories like that before. Someone told me that they were corner working at Riverside back in the early 80s when Bill France Sr. came over the radio to have the corner workers find a debris yellow.

I don't get the blue flag thing either, especially since despite only running road courses twice a year, it is probably instinctual for them to think "move over" and not "corner caution" or whatever the hell that flag meant. If they are going to do that, why not at least pick a new color like orange or something?

RacinM3
06-28-04, 05:17 PM
So it's really difficult for these guys to figure out that a yellow at any given corner could be either a local or a full course, and that they have to wait 1 or 2 flag stations to know for sure? And now you throw a new flag that looks like a "move over" flag, especially with a driver at speed whose eyeballs are vibrating in his head, and that is supposed to clear up confusion?

How retarded. :thumdown:

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 05:20 PM
That pretty much sums it up, Scott. :laugh:

NASCAR didn't even trust us with firebottles. If a car had come screaming up to a flagstation engulfed in flame, all we could have done is stood there and watched the sucker burn. Glad that didn't happen... :mad:

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-04, 05:26 PM
Oh, I have another question. When those blue flags are being waved in a corner, can drivers still pass?

RichK
06-28-04, 05:36 PM
So should we now call you FCBSTravis (Full Course Blue Stick)?

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 05:38 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 05:54 PM
Oh, I have another question. When those blue flags are being waved in a corner, can drivers still pass?
Technically, no. At least, that's what we were told.

I think there were instances of drivers passing under the waving blues and being sent to the back of the pack. I could be wrong, though.

RacinM3
06-28-04, 05:55 PM
NASCAR didn't even trust us with firebottles. If a car had come screaming up to a flagstation engulfed in flame, all we could have done is stood there and watched the sucker burn. Glad that didn't happen...

Awww, c'mon Travis, you could have flung your body on it to douse the flames. Where's your spirit for adventure?? ;)

RTKar
06-28-04, 08:58 PM
Did I mention that there was also a total BS debris caution thrown? We had a spring rubber two carwidths off the line in T7, called it in to Race Control and NASCAR decided that would be a good excuse for a commercial break.

No, you didn't mention it ...the Truth did ;) :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
06-28-04, 08:59 PM
Yep, special "blue flags" - solid blue, no yellow stripe, lingerie-thin material.

Straight out of the Intimates catalog.

Of course, NASCAR wanted them all back at the end of the race on Sunday. You guys who work The Glen are duly warned.

Did I mention that there was also a total BS debris caution thrown? We had a spring rubber two carwidths off the line in T7, called it in to Race Control and NASCAR decided that would be a good excuse for a commercial break. :shakehead

The SFRSCCA course marshal crew put on a good show of laying down grease sweep where there wasn't any grease to sweep. :saywhat:

The debris caution gets a mention on The Truth tonight, but is attributed to "Bushman"... (or was it "Buschman"?) :)

FCYTravis
06-28-04, 09:05 PM
Worked perfectly ;)

Except my joke fake name at the bottom (Perry McCarthy of F1 Rejects fame) went right over their head... guess they thought it was my real one. :rofl:

Oh well, it's not like it's any secret that NASCAR throws debris yellows, just thought I'd point one blatant example out :laugh: